PDA

View Full Version : Rod storage

.:::stotty:::.
19-04-2011, 03:46 PM
hey guys, this is doing my head in.

I have a 4.1mtr Allycraft rhino. It has full cast decks front and back. Ill upload some pics soon.

I cant find where to store rods successfully and safe and practicable. If its even possible. Dont mind storing them vertically or horizontally, but have tried horizontally along middle floor and tips under the front deck and it works okay but not great and it also wouldn't be hard for something heavy to fall on them and break a few grands of gear.

Looking for some ideas, cheers guys.

Scott nthQld
19-04-2011, 03:57 PM
what about making your own rod lockers?

Run a box of carpet covered ply along one side of the tinny, the same height as your casting decks, should only need to be about 150-200mm wide and run another bit to the floor, make the top a hinged lid.

Inside you can put in any bracket/clips to might want to keep the rods separated and tangle free

Mexikan
19-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah like Scott said under floor rod lockers would be the go.I have a mate that has a similar set-up in his poly-craft boat(made his own full casting deck) and it works really well especially for that big rig/extra rigs you want to take "just in case" but you dont want to be in your road.
Mex

.:::stotty:::.
19-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the tips, but I looked at it. If i did that a 7ft rod wouldnt fit in. I would have to cut a seat out and I would loose alot of strength im guessing.

Maybe use that idea, and place them on the top of the box and use some velcro to strap them down

Horse
19-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the tips, but I looked at it. If i did that a 7ft rod wouldnt fit in. I would have to cut a seat out and I would loose alot of strength im guessing.

Maybe use that idea, and place them on the top of the box and use some velcro to strap them down

Can you punch a couple of holes in the seats lined with PVC pipe and some foam stuck on. Butts or tips could slip inside them

Mtx
20-04-2011, 08:13 AM
I have a 445 sioux. I will get some photos of my rod storage over the weekend and post up for you. Works really well.

Cheers

novice23
26-04-2011, 12:03 AM
This has been doing my head in for a while too.
I'd be very interested in solutions people have come up with.

PADDLES
26-04-2011, 07:36 AM
the reality is that it's still only a 4m tinny with thwart seats and so there's never going to be much room especially for storing a 7 foot rod. vertical storage is krap because they get in the way of your fishing/casting so horizontal is pretty much the only option. i''ve simply not bothered with anything in our tinny and just rest the butt of whatever i'm not using on the rear seat and poke the tip forwards over the front seat and shove it over to one side. i make sure i only take a couple of rods because of this. there's no way i'd cut a seat up just to store a spare rod or two.

tunaticer
26-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I would redo your front casting deck to be 3 inches higher then the thwart seat and longer to accomodate the 7'6" rods then make a rod locker for each side.
The rods will sit over the thwart seat in foar rod holders mounted there plus tip and butt areas.
A bit of frigging around yes, but a good job is worth a lot less than your few grand worth of rods once you trash them with a heavy foot.