PDA

View Full Version : More trailer import questions

Haza09
18-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Hi all, been through a lot of posts here regarding boat/trailer imports, but has anyone imported the as is US (oversize) trailer and just used it as a ramp trailer or dolly, that is never going to be road registered. Is the process any different regarding import permits etc. Will trailer manufacturer ID and labels/plates have to be removed before freighting?
Can these trailers be modified to Aus specs at a later date and re-registered as a custom trailer?

PB
19-04-2011, 02:25 PM
the process will be the same as if you where going to get it registered, as i think the only way you can get it into the country is if it meets all AUS ADR rules. Its just up to you weather you get it registered or not.

Is it really worth all the hassell of importing a trailer if its only going to be a yard trailer?

Scott nthQld
19-04-2011, 02:42 PM
the process will be the same as if you where going to get it registered, as i think the only way you can get it into the country is if it meets all AUS ADR rules. Its just up to you weather you get it registered or not.

Is it really worth all the hassell of importing a trailer if its only going to be a yard trailer?

I would rather spend the time importing a trailer for a yard trailer than paying double the amount for a trailer here.

I don't think you will be even able to import the trailer whether you are going to register it or not. As is, it does not meet ADR complaince (overwidth), and trailers have to meet these to be even eligible for importation as I understand it.

Might be worth the time making a few enquiries with the relevant authorities (in writing) if the price is right

pilchardjones
20-04-2011, 07:41 AM
my understanding is you won't get import approval to import an overwidth trailer.

But I do not know at what stage it is "stopped", as by the time the trailer import approval was issued for mine, the boat was half way here I think.

steve

Muddy Toes
20-04-2011, 12:28 PM
my understanding is you won't get import approval to import an overwidth trailer.

But I do not know at what stage it is "stopped", as by the time the trailer import approval was issued for mine, the boat was half way here I think.

steve

I'm no expert but i agree with you.If you go for import approval on a trailer the form you fill out will ask about the dimensions.If the trailer is in transit during the period when the import approval is awaiting approval and its denied entry into the country then you've got a real problem.

I did the same as Steve......got the boat and trailer half way here before i lodged the paper work, no biggie because it was ADR compliant.

They recommend that you get approval to import a trailer before it even leaves the USA for this exact reason, so what its worth my only idea is to lodge the application before purchasing it and see what happens.It will cost you a fifty though, even if it not approved.
Cheers MT

oldboot
20-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Remember too, that there is no way to get any overdimension vehicle registered for use on australian roads.

There are arrangements for the load carried to be over dimension, but not the vehicle its self.

It can not be 1 mm over 2.5 meters wide, excluding a couple of specific items like mirrors.

Go down load a coppy of VSB01, that will give you an idea of what is required of a trailer to comply.

cheers

Heath
21-04-2011, 02:51 PM
If its a bolt together ally trailer, being it in unconstructed. No need to specify its a trailer then as it is only parts.

Trekka273
21-04-2011, 09:55 PM
If it is on the water and you do not get approval to import it, get ready for a nice hefty bill. It will not be granted an import permit which leaves you with a few option, none of which is cheap. None of those options allows you to keep the trailer, even as a yard trailer.

Haza09
23-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys for all the info, the trailer in question is under a boat I am considering importing, my issue is that if I never want to register the trailer ie. keep it in a club yard at marina, I still have to buy / manufacture a ADR compliant trailer, with no option to use existing trailer???

Trekka273
25-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys for all the info, the trailer in question is under a boat I am considering importing, my issue is that if I never want to register the trailer ie. keep it in a club yard at marina, I still have to buy / manufacture a ADR compliant trailer, with no option to use existing trailer???

Correct, you cannot import the trailer without a permit. Even if you never intend to register that trailer, the fact that it is a trailer means that it requires a permit.

Perhaps an option could be to remove the axles and tow hitch altogether and use the frame as a cradle base for the boat while in transit, then when it gets here you could put a new set of axles under it and a tow hitch for use in the yard. Not sure how you would go with that though, the may still class it as a trailer and therefore make you try to get a permit or dispose of it. I honestly don't think it would be worth the hassle.

Flex
25-04-2011, 09:41 AM
I imported a trailer 2.56m wide. After being told it was 2.44 by the boat salesman.
On the form your fill out to import a trailer there is a section asking you can the trailer be reasonably modified to meet Aus standards.. most trailers can.
I had ticked the section on the form where it says It does comply or It can be midified to comply and no one stopped my trailer coming in..

I doubt anyone is down the marine port with a tape measure to check on your trailer.

But like Oldboot says, no trailer can be over 2.5m wide. A load carried on the trailer can though.

I simply changed the guards on my trailer and got less offset wheels and it was fine.Came in at 2.41m

Also remember, There is nothing stopping you modifying the trailer as much as you like and registering it as a home made trailer.

I did this with mine. As USA trailers often have compliance plates that can cause issues with weight categories etc and the paperwork can be a headache

Simply make a few mods,tear all ya stickers/VIN plate off and get it inspected by QLD transport as a homemade and your good to go.Its not dodgy and as long as you comply with the rules and your trailer is safe on the highway and not going to kill anyone..