PDA

View Full Version : Airlie Beach April

rob tranter
17-04-2011, 08:32 PM
High All

Well I dragged the Steji the 1480odd k's from Coutts to Airlie Beach, and the 1480odd k's back, so here's the report.

Shot through from Coutts on the friday arvo about 3.30, arrived Gympie about 11pm, thank #### for that , what a drive poor old Patrol was flogged.:-?

Up around 5.30 Saturday, on the road by six.
Arrived Clairview around 4.30pm again thank ####.

What a Spot bloody brilliant , will definitely go there for a week or so fishing.

Up around 7 Sunday, hit Airlie by 10.30am
Organised a room for me and a spot in the Marina for the Steji, by midday, time for a couple (more) beers.
Mangrovejqack hotel was the place.
After a few Schooners, I headed off to "FISH'D'VINE" to find KC.
What a Place, you have to get there for a feed and a Choice of one of Kev's 282odd different Rum's:o

Found KC, had a couple of beers, and a little sip of some fine rum, roughly organised a day to fish and departed for the Motel for a clean up.
Showered and back to the pub, then KC's, then another Pub and woke not well Monday.

Monday
Down to the boat to set it up and fuel up.
The Bride rings and her plane has landed, good mate catch a bus or something I'm occupied:-[ .
She arrives at motel, we have lunch and shoothrough on the Steji for a look see, what a lovely spot.
Tuesday
In the Boat and off for a tour of some Islands and such
KC rings and changes the fishing Day, no problems Kev.
Wednesday
Shoot through on my own to one of Lucky Phills mark's
NO FISH
Either my fault in lack of Skill:-? or Phills for not giving me the mark where the fish ARE:P

Moved around for a while untill I found some bubbling water, hmm lets have a look in there then.
Wacked a popper on and yeha
Queenies in the dozens, what a blast, two hours later returned to home for some refrechments:o
Thursday
Up at 4am off to the Cannonvale BP for Bait
Back to the Motel, grab the 27yr old son and his girls Pommy Tourist father(arrived Wednesday.
Down to the Marina, phone rings it's KC where are you?On our way.
Meet him and his mate out front of Marina.
Kevvy, tells us we will check out some live bait troll for some Mac's, and then chase some Trout. YE####ingha, this will be brilliant. Around 4 to 5 ours later and only small fish to report, I said hooray to kev and his deckie, and took my crew to the Queenies foe a bloodrush.
We hooked plenty, boated none and lost all my poppers and one diving lure.
I think I need to beef my gear up for my Swaines trip in July.
Friday
Take the touring Pom's out to some great places on the water, return late afternoon, pack up the boat on the trailer, put the fishing gear away, and hit the Piss, (yet again)
Saturday
Up early, head off and (Luckily)drive straight passed the RBT.
12 hours later arrive Chongs Place, hi mate got a spare bed;) no worries Tranter but we're going fishing in the Mary River first:P
Return from yet again another monumental fishing trip around 11pm a few night caps, a tub another night cap and hit the hay around 1.30am.
Sunday (today)
Depart Chongs, thanks mate had a ball
arrive brissy about 12.30ish, text chickslovit, around to his place for spell and a couple refreshing beers, hope you've got some Tranter was the cry::) of course mate, always in the car fridge.
Two beers, 5hours later I arrive home.
I'm nackered, but what a GREAT WEEK

THANKS TO KC For his day out fishing, and for him on owning a GREAT RESTARAUNT? Come RUM BAR. Thanks Kev I will be back, and thank your staff for looking after me on the First night;)

Thanks to Lucky-Phill for the marks and calling up a couple of times to see how I'm going.

Thanks to Chong for taking me fishing and showing me it'e not just me:D and for feeding me and the roof over my head.

Thanks to Stuie (chickslovit) for lettin me rest my weary? bones and sharing MY beer with me;D

And Last of all
Thanks to NISSAN for building the unbreakable GQ Patrol. oh and thanks queensland for THE ####ING ROADS THAT ####ED MY EXHAUST>:( :-X :P

Thats it

Rob T8-)

Lucky_Phill
18-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Jeez mate, no pics. ::)

To fish the Whitsundays, is like any other place, you have to spend time there to get to know what's doing.

I caught many fish from the Shute Harbour jetty including Spanish Macks... go figure !!!

I couldn't quite catch up to you on the return trip. Wasn't far behind though and thanks for the heads up on the " photo cars " 8-) ;D

I had the UHF on and all was good.

The roads from Mackay north are pretty good compared to the ones in SEQ and CQ.....

Found this Nissan at Rocky......

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Six-Wheel-Nissan.jpg

Rob, it's a long way to tow a boat to Airlie and beyond. As I said to you, we towed a 18ft Mustang from Lismore to there for years and camped on Whitsunday Island. Made getting to fishing grounds a snap.

Don't worry, I'll put you on to some nice fish at 1770 in a few months :-X ;) ;D

Cheers Phill

TREVELLY
18-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Organised a room for me and time for a couple (more) beers.
After a few Schooners and a Choice of one of Kev's 282odd different Rum's:o

Had a couple of beers, and a little sip of some fine rum Showered and back to the pub then another Pub and woke not well Monday.

Shoot through on my own to one of Lucky Phills mark's
NO FISH
YE####ingha, this will be brilliant. Around 4 to 5 ours later and only small fish to report.
We hooked plenty, boated none and lost all my poppers and one diving lure.
Pack up the boat on the trailer, hit the Piss, (yet again)
Return from yet again another monumental fishing trip around 11pm a few night caps.
Text chickslovit, around to his place a couple refreshing beers, hope you've got some Tranter was the cry::) of course mate, always in the car fridge.
Two beers, 5hours later I arrive home.
I'm nackered, but what a GREAT WEEK

THANKS TO KC For his day out fishing, and for him on owning a GREAT RESTARAUNT? Come RUM BAR.
Thanks to Stuie (chickslovit) for sharing MY beer with me;D

Rob T8-)

Thanks for the laugh Rob - I especially liked tha bit about hooking a lot, landing none and losing all your poppers - classic

rob tranter
18-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Jeez mate, no pics. ::)

To fish the Whitsundays, is like any other place, you have to spend time there to get to know what's doing.

I caught many fish from the Shute Harbour jetty including Spanish Macks... go figure !!!

I couldn't quite catch up to you on the return trip. Wasn't far behind though and thanks for the heads up on the " photo cars " 8-) ;D

I had the UHF on and all was good.

The roads from Mackay north are pretty good compared to the ones in SEQ and CQ.....

Found this Nissan at Rocky......

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Six-Wheel-Nissan.jpg

Rob, it's a long way to tow a boat to Airlie and beyond. As I said to you, we towed a 18ft Mustang from Lismore to there for years and camped on Whitsunday Island. Made getting to fishing grounds a snap.

Don't worry, I'll put you on to some nice fish at 1770 in a few months :-X ;) ;D

Cheers Phill

I saw that truck as well but I can't afford the 18k for the extension(priced it some time back)
Shute Harbour, yeh some Marina reg's said I could catch a sh!t load from where I was mored, thats too easy;)

Cheers mate what time did youget home?

Trevelly

No worries mate, it is a great part of the country, and not only that, there's more cracking back packing sheilas than queenslanders;D the whip lash is killing me.

Also I don't mind telling how it is, I rarely catch much, but sheeit I have a good time doing it;D

Cheers

Rob T8-)

trymyluck
18-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Jeeze, sounds like you had a ball. No point in catching too many now, you'll have nowhere for the Swains catch..........:-?;D

Mark

murf
05-06-2011, 09:09 PM
just found this thread :)

what a ripper time you had although you didn't change any of you fishing habits :)

it is a great place and one I will get back to again with boat in tow, one day I tell ya

cheers Murf