PDA

View Full Version : Mack troll rigs

carnster
17-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Here is part of my part of my troll rigs. Sorry i am not willing to show any more. Plus a pic of one of yesterdays macks with the Nelster (using his new SAMAKI rod) and his boy Cody.

Jeremy
17-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Pink one looks like one made by TT jigs. Pretty simple setup and easy to make up at home. I see your modifications and I am pretty sure I know what the other modifications you are not showing are. Makes alot of sense using that style rig out of a kayak with dead baits. Seems to work well for you anyway.

samsy
17-04-2011, 02:53 PM
i reckon you attach a spinner blade to it :)

carnster
17-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Keep guessing guys, but yeah the pimping def makes a massive difference.

Timfishin4fun
17-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Squid skirt?

deepfried
17-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Cage with your rig. Now we are going to extremes Chris. Nice. Either way a blade or or pink squid skirt would go well.
What size hooks are you running ?

carnster
17-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Not sure deepfried but the larger treble is the big 6X VMC that you get with the big halco laser pros. According to the reports you guys have plenty of pelagics around?

deepfried
17-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Not sure deepfried but the larger treble is the big 6X VMC that you get with the big halco laser pros. According to the reports you guys have plenty of pelagics around?

Not really here at Ballina but either side of us it is a bit better from what i have heard. They are here one day gone the next. I havent been out chasing them for a few weeks now but did have a couple of good days. Hopefully they come back through after easter though when i get back from hols. I havent done much land based at all this year either so i have no idea what is going on there.

That top rig look good. I am looking at jig heads now and am going to make a couple if i can find those or similar.

Jono_SS
17-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi Carnster.

I'm in a bit of a rut - partly, I think, because I've been using longer baits than normal (i.e. longer than pillies) with the trolling rigs and have been getting bite offs galore. So, I chucked a stinger on last Friday with mixed success. The first bait, a massive slimey, lasted about 30 seconds before a big grassy smashed it! Not the target but a happy result. The second, and only other decent bait, got sliced in half without the fish staying connected (see photo).

I'm thinking about having a big range of stingers prewired with a snap on the other end. This way I can choose the right size treble, and right length stinger to attach depending on the length and type (e.g. slimey, pike, garfish, jelly bean tuna, mac tuna).

Any other tips you can give would be very welcome!

cheers.

Jono.

zakster
17-04-2011, 09:29 PM
pink squid skirts.

Jeremy
17-04-2011, 09:51 PM
What you are not showing is the 'sprag' wire off the eye of the first hook. Not required for pillies, but makes a big difference for larger baits like bonito and tailor.

You may as well show it Carnster. Takes a hell of a lot more than a photo to be able to rig a bait.

deepfried
17-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Hi Carnster.

I'm in a bit of a rut - partly, I think, because I've been using longer baits than normal (i.e. longer than pillies) with the trolling rigs and have been getting bite offs galore. So, I chucked a stinger on last Friday with mixed success. The first bait, a massive slimey, lasted about 30 seconds before a big grassy smashed it! Not the target but a happy result. The second, and only other decent bait, got sliced in half without the fish staying connected (see photo).

I'm thinking about having a big range of stingers prewired with a snap on the other end. This way I can choose the right size treble, and right length stinger to attach depending on the length and type (e.g. slimey, pike, garfish, jelly bean tuna, mac tuna).

Any other tips you can give would be very welcome!

cheers.

Jono.

Jono i dont know what others would do but i would start by pinning that bait from underneath and not from the top. Also add a couple more hooks to the gang on a bait that size and piss the stinger off.

Horse
18-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Those TT jigs are great as you can add a small blade to the head. Its amazing how much flash a small gold blade gives off. As Jeremy said the sprag wire is a must as well. I have been using these sorts of rigs for thirty years. Originally net leads crimped to the hooks them Trevor Saunders came up with the "Pilly Riggs" in a variety of sizes which is pretty much what TT have on offer

Jono_SS
18-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Jono i dont know what others would do but i would start by pinning that bait from underneath and not from the top. Also add a couple more hooks to the gang on a bait that size and piss the stinger off.
thanks deepfried.

I guess I was taught to rig the pillies upside down, I thought because the hooks stay firmly attached in their backs compared with their soft bellies. I've never had any trouble with getting strikes or hookups with the pillies rigged that way. However, I'm relatively new to putting the rigs in the bigger baits. I'll give some of the next lot a go from below. Mind you, if I can get livies they will always have preference over trolling dead baits.

cheers.

Jono.

business class
18-04-2011, 08:33 AM
when using tow rigs as carnster has shown, you will always run a pillie upside down and run a squid skirt on it so the guts dont rip out when being towed. He uses a squid skirt as does nearlly everyone who tows on palmy chasing spots and blues. As for the question on the little bonito you dont tow it upside down you tow it upright as people have also said, and also throw a skirt on the nose and put at least another ganged hook in the bait to cover most of the dead bait. Get rid of the stinger rig all together when towing dead baits and you will increase your hook up ratio.

TREVELLY
18-04-2011, 11:09 AM
You should use these - you won't get a better action

frankgrimes
18-04-2011, 11:17 AM
You should use these - you won't get a better action

Look interesting...Who makes them?

Cheers,
Mick

business class
18-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Cheers,
Mick

If you wanna see the BEST thing to hit the market for gar and tuna or slimy swim baits? go down to the new tackle shop on brisbane road, and ask for the New Black snacks tow heads made by Mitch calcutt. there moulded to each fish head so that a gar fits in the head perfectly, well any bait that is. Go down and see Raff and they will explain more. We were shown the design at our last Game fishing meeting and you will be blown away with the work that has gone into these. They do heads for wahoo,spanish,black marlin, dollies right up to Blues and Stripeys, so if you want something that is basic go check these out. IMO there the best things ive EVER seen for tow heads

TREVELLY
18-04-2011, 11:41 AM

Cheers,
Mick

Not fantastic footage but:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq3G9EZ72ZI

ballyhoo

carnster
18-04-2011, 12:15 PM
I personally like the big stinger right at the tail and it usually ends up hooked inside the mouth of the spanish. I also add some more weight somewhere and do a few things at the front which really makes a big difference; swims better that a halco laser pro. Also break the back in a few places.

business class
18-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I personally like the big stinger right at the tail and it usually ends up hooked inside the mouth of the spanish. I also add some more weight somewhere and do a few things at the front which really makes a big difference; swims better that a halco laser pro. Also break the back in a few places.

the only thing that needs to be done which is not stated is make sure the nose of the bait it tied to the front leading hook. as to have a bait swim right the tow point MUST be on the baits nose and the weight either be under the chin or the head depending on what way you wish to tow. I agree tho dead baits will always swim better then any lure when done right. personally id rather tow livies as nothing beats the real thing swimming ;D

ffejsmada
18-04-2011, 05:37 PM
These work real well.

Jono_SS
18-04-2011, 06:21 PM
These work real well.

I'd be interested in giving a couple of those a go...where do you find them?

Jono.

carnster
18-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I have 2 of the spinner bait rigs but never done real well on them.

Ratman
18-04-2011, 06:56 PM
These work real well.

Do you find the wire on the spinners gets bent very which way?

Mick

ffejsmada
18-04-2011, 07:25 PM
I'd be interested in giving a couple of those a go...where do you find them?

Jono.

www.fishingnoosa.com.au/Page12.htm Give them a ring Jono, they'll sort you out.

Do you find the wire on the spinners gets bent very which way?

Mick

Sometimes they do bend a little, just bend them back Mick.