PDA

View Full Version : Removing scratches from alumimum boat

Scott Ashe
17-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi All,

I went out crabbing yesterday and we did not do very well at all, however while putting in at the pontoon at Victoria Point, I manage to put a few noticeable scratches on the port side of my Allycraft Reelmate, even while using my fenders.

Most of you would say not to worry about them, as it does not affect the boat in anyway, I'm just a fussy bugger and I just know they are there and would be greatful for any tips on how to try and possibly remove them.

My boat is unpainted.

I don't normally use this ramp, and I like it even less now.

Cheers
Scott

peterbo3
17-04-2011, 12:21 PM
There are plenty of abrasive compounds or disks available to remove the scratches but you will left with an area that is larger than the scratches & much more noticable.
You could:
1. Do the entire boat so the finish is uniform with polish or a disk. I have seen a polished alloy hull.................. real shiny :o:o:o:o
2. Do the scratched area with an abrasive disk & wait until the alloy self oxidides & matches the rest of the hull
3. Cover the scratches with some Ausfish stickers
4. Do nothing & wait until the scratches self oxidise

oldboot
18-04-2011, 09:13 AM
The question is how deep are these scratches??

If they are shallow, you should be able to sand them out...but make no mistake you are reducing the thickness of your hull sheets.

If they are nasty, the only solution is to have them tig welded and ground flat.

cheers

Dignity
18-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Scott, leave them there, eventually they will blend in with the rest of the boat. I have them also from the pontoons at the Power Boat Club at Caloundra. Why the council insisted on using those hard yellow plastic buffers is beyond me as they dont do any good on any boat.