PDA

View Full Version : seafarer 5.2 Ventura half cabins?

xjonox
16-04-2011, 07:20 PM
ok, these things look reasonably affordable,, Are they any good?

ive heard good things about seafarers but the Venturers are pretty old so i was hoping someone might have an idea about how they handle ect.
Any opinions would help. cheers

oldie
16-04-2011, 10:14 PM
basically the same hull as the viking 5.2 sea worthy too, i near had one about 15 years ago one owner for 2500 in immaculate condition, i should have bought it from the old guy, but ended up buying a alloy centre console, this is a good hull and aslong as transom and floor is ok should serve you well,

CHEE-FEE
17-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Very good, honest old hulls. They are the same hull as the old Viking 17. They are very seaworthy and very safe, in that they are very predictable and don't do anything stupid. I think their HP rating is quite high; the Vikings were rated to 175HP, and that's when the engines weighed a tonne, so don't be afraid to put good power behind it. Just watch your floor and transom; if they've been done, great. The old Seafarers do have a bad habit of self-destructing in the floor and transom department. If you want to fish seriously out of it (or even just for added security when family boating). I suggest you build up the rear of the cockpit to stop waves climbing in over the stern and stop people falling out over the back.

Cheers,
NICK.

xjonox
17-04-2011, 08:36 AM
nice work gents! Very helpful. so far im tossing up between a 4.9 whaler or a venturer seafarer.

ozscott
17-04-2011, 09:20 AM
All older hulls have the possibility of rot. The beauty of the Seafarer's from my research and talking to a experienced marine surveyor and Lindsay Fry is that typically the amount of glass used means its not such a big deal. The floor and transom in my Vag is rock solid - original. But just due the usual checks and hang off the motor at full tilt to check no movement at all in the transom and have an inspection done.

Cheers

robothefisho
17-04-2011, 09:51 AM
My experience with my viking, same hull but 1/4 cabin. Goes extremely well straight into or straight with a chop. Doesn't like anything quartering, doesn't do anything to silly, but it will change direction quickly. Very stable i think for its size.

Overall I like it and consider it a good hull.

The ventura would have more weight so would probably go even better.