PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth using night vision equipment

Defore
15-04-2011, 10:03 AM
With the number of boats not using their anchor lights or not having any lights, is it worth buying night vision goggles/ binoculars/monoculars.
They have come down in price over the years. It is possible to get monoculars for around $200 to $300.

Who uses them and are they worth the money.
What are the advantages and disadvantages?

A radar unit would be better, but my boat is too small and the radar is too expensive.

I do use a spotlight, but I do not like blinding other boaties (unless they are the idiots sitting there with no lights)

Ian

Noelm
15-04-2011, 10:05 AM
kind of reckon it might be interesting to be wearing night vision goggles and someone swings a spotlight onto you.

Noelm
15-04-2011, 10:07 AM
I guess the answer is no, far better off to let your eyes adjust to the dark, and just use caution, spotlights being switched on and off is more trouble than they are worth.

lethal098
15-04-2011, 11:02 AM
FLIR cameras are getting more and more popular although quite a bit more expensive, They are very popular in the states but hasnt really caught on here just yet.

Cheers Lee

goat boy
15-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Saw a tv special on the hottest kids toys for xmas a few years back. I think it was that kids show, Ben10 that had a nvg for sale that was supposedly pretty good stuff for a toy and the price offered.
That said, It would screw with your depth perception and normal vision when switching back......and a whole host of other reasons why it wouldn't be such a good idea.

marto78
15-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I don't know about binoculars but non magnified ones would be handy on those moonless nights when your trying to pick your way through all the crab pot floats in the channel.

Kero
15-04-2011, 07:41 PM
The cheap ones are not true night vision. They use IR LED for illumination and then a lens to view the illuminated area (toys).
True night vision consists of receiving the available light and then amplifying it through electronics (much better) this is a lot more expensive.

Defore
18-04-2011, 02:53 PM
The units around the $300 and below price use CMOS image intensifier circuitry and backup infrared. They are a Generation 1 device. Depending on the night vision unit it also controls the light level if there is a sudden bright light so you don't get temporarily blinded.
I was wondering if the boaties that do have these things actually use them or are they not worth having?
Could always try the old pirate trick of wearing an eye patch. Keeps one eye in permanent darkness and when the light level is low just change the patch to the other eye. Saw it on Myth Busters.

Ian

peterbo3
18-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Ian,
I have one of these on the boat.;D;D

http://www.powabeam.com.au/products/PL175-Hand-Held-Spotlight.html

I have had it for ten years. Never a problem.....it will light up the moon. Made in Australia & built tough. If you need to slow down because of others not showing lights, you are legally within your rights to light em up. Stupid people who do not show lights have no feelings so don't worry about upsetting them or destroying their night vision. A million candlepower in their face may remind them of their obligations.
In another, earlier life I used Gen1 Starlight scopes & they were good...........as long as you kept them aimed at the one place & only moved them slowly. The tech people here (yourself included) have identified some of the issues with the older stuff on the market. They are basically designed for a static user & that is not a boat operator.

DTHCoCo
18-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Get radar problem fixed!

finding_time
18-04-2011, 07:51 PM
The cheap ones are not true night vision. They use IR LED for illumination and then a lens to view the illuminated area (toys).
True night vision consists of receiving the available light and then amplifying it through electronics (much better) this is a lot more expensive.

Alot more expensive is a understatement!!!

If you can get some Gen3 out of the US ( either smuggled no warrenty or you apply for a permit , wait 2 years and get knocked back by the regulators) you can expect to pay about 18,000 USD, there are some russian knockoffs around but these are really only about Gen 1.5 and not worth shite! They'll still cost you $2500 to $3000!

So do i think a pair of $300 night vission goggles will be any good in a boat???? NO!!!

Get a spot light!!

Defore
19-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys.

Unless I can get get one to try I think I will save my money.

I already use a spotlight, but like Noelm said it kills your night vision till your eyes can readjust.

I wonder if it is possible to use an IR filter over the spotlight and an IR CCTV camera. But then I would need a monitor and that would probably upset the eyes adjusting to low light.:-?

Does anyone have a guide dog that can swim really fast ::)

Ian