PDA

View Full Version : when drift fishing????

flyin marlin
15-04-2011, 09:03 AM
When drift fishing offshore, where do you set up your sea anchor. i have seen boats using both off the stern or the bow. i first was setup off the stern but found it a rougher ride, so now i set it off the bow, but to me it seems to drift quicker but thus a smoother ride. interested to see what are your thoughts.

My boat if that makes any difference is a 559 stabicraft.

AL

Micadogs
15-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Hi FM. I set my off the stern. It is easy to launch and retrieve from there. Bow is pointing in the direction of the wind, anchor is thrown against the wind.

I was shown by Bill Corteon in an offshore fishing course.

If weather is really rough or you experience a squall, you can use the parachute to keep the box pointing into the wind. It must be set at the bow for this though. Setting at the stern will sink you in rough weather.

Regards Adam

GLXMAN
15-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Al,
I set mine off the bow, tends to keep the boat square on to the drift, I'm sure some boat designs would behave differently though,
Regards,
Gary

Noelm
15-04-2011, 10:09 AM
depends on what you are using the sea anchor for, if you are broken down, or the weather is rough, tie off to the bow, if you are fishing, tie along the side to allow a side on drift, by the stern only in very good conditions.

fishfeeder
15-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Stern Corner works for me, Para-anchor 7 its fantastic.
Only problem I get is the retrieval rope (with small float) tangles with the ropes on the anchor every now ans then. it seems to spin in the water from time to time.

lethal098
15-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Off the stern for me when fishing, if due to breakdown then off the bow.

Fishfeeder, i have found in i anchor the retrival rope to a different position i dont get the twisting occuring.

Cheers Lee

GBC
15-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Off the stern - If you tie it off the bow the lines go under the boat.......

Noelm
15-04-2011, 02:47 PM
attach your sea anchor to the main rope via a swivel thingy, you can buy a couple of types, one like two shackles joined on a swivelling joiner, and other that is two rings joined by a turning joint.

nigelr
15-04-2011, 03:07 PM
I like the side, a couple of feet for'd of halfway.

Out-Station
16-04-2011, 07:42 AM
I use a "Y" harness with a swivel and run it from the stern for fishing. From the bow if you were to be sitting out some crap weather or broke down.

Horse
16-04-2011, 07:49 AM
I run from the bow but thats in a CC. This puts us sideways for the drift so we can fish from the full length of the vessel

Malcolm W
16-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Same as Horse, off the bow as that brings the boat side on. Currently have a CC, but did the same with the last boat (forward cab).
Just tied off the bow and had the second rear retrieval rope at the cab to make it easy to pull in.

Jarrah Jack
16-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Never anywhere near the stern for me when fishing as the last thing I want is for a good fish to get anywhere near the anchor or lines. Always off the bow or sometimes the front quarter.

Dignity
16-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I fish off the stern as I wasn't aware that you could use them off the bow but will now investigate the matter. I do use a couple of rubber conduit rings in the line to the anchor/parachute to smooth out the drag, this stops the chute opening and closing and ends up as a smoother and slower drift.

flyin marlin
19-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks eveyone for your comments!

So from all the comments, stern is best for practical reasons and for a slower drift but only in calm conditions.Then 2nd option is off the side, something i have not tried before but will give it a go.Bow when gets too rough.

thanks again eveyone.