PDA

View Full Version : Strangest thing you ever saw fishing?

kc
13-04-2011, 07:44 PM
I saw mine today...flicking lures around a rocky point for some jacks this arvo on an early rising tide, just out from a large mangrove lined bay. In very shallow water a large mullet hit the turbo button and came charging out of the mangroves....so far so good...then out after it at full tilt comes a bloody great wild pig trying to catch the mullet with its mouth :o . Any way, the pig saw me and bolted back into the mangroves and I'm trying to explain to the handbrake that I just saw a bloody great pig...no more beer for me this arvo:-?

Dan5
13-04-2011, 09:08 PM
How about sitting on your favourite jewie hole out at Bynoe harbour and you get lined up by a FLOATPLANE.......Fark......pull the anchor he IS gunna land on us.

Yeah that was an experiance.......they were dropping off something for the pearl farm.
Dan

madmaskbass
13-04-2011, 09:38 PM
one am on the reef in a 17 foot boat and a manta ray jumps the anchor a metre from the boat...all peaceful and quiet then it sounded like the boat was hit by a torpedo....very memorable to say the least

Greg P
13-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Ive seen some very strange things going on in the dunes at the bottom of Bribie Island. Always take the wide channel these days - ewwwww :-?:-?:-?

hellfish
13-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Was in cobaki creek just behind gold coast airport floating about with the electric motor a few months ago when all of a suden a huge roo comes crashing through the trees with a dead set dingo hot after it. The roo jumped clean over the fallen tree on the bank i was casting at and the dingo had no chance so he just gave up the chase and stoped right in front of me. I stayed perfectly still and he stood there and snffed the air and instantly froze as he smelt me. For a few tence moments we both stood there like statues untill i thought ill whistle at him. He turned and spotted me and took off like a flash into the bush. Was only about 6-7meters away from him so got a real good look.(thats how i know he was a he) It loooked identical to the ones on fraser only this was right in the back yard of the gold coast!

mojoe1
14-04-2011, 12:06 AM
for me its been a few things when i was a young fella down wooli way out in our 12ft tinny i had the miss fortune of a body float past, an older lady keeled over fishing the bank and fell in.almost ran over a roo in the same river.one day setting the pots in the southpine with the daughter we had a fox swim across in front of us id say he didnt hear the 4 stroke one of those things u see something in the water but not sure what till your on top of it

ejackulate
14-04-2011, 09:39 AM
I was slowly making my way up a skinny channel in Leeders creek idling along chatting to a work mate and my missus when i got belted in the back hard by something wet and solid , i squealed like a girl :o thinking i had been hit by a swamp dog( yes i was p#ssed) when i looked down to see a big tarpon flappin round on the floor looking mighty pleased with himself. The worst part my missus had the f#@%ing video camera out and caught the whole thing on tape.;D

Rob

2BNVS1
14-04-2011, 10:02 AM
^^^^^ Video or Ban LOL post it up

I cant really remember anything strange, apart from when i was about 9 i went fishing with my old man down the local creek, cast out, felt something, yanked the rod up was bending the rod like crazy was reeling it in so slowly. Got so excited but turned out to be a shopping trolley lol

nathank
14-04-2011, 10:52 AM
one of my best mates Steve was out in his tinny off turros on the south coast in NSW with his uncle ( i was at work) he caught this unbelievable footage.. well worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg9vEmbdqF4

tropicrows
14-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Awesome video, I think I might have put a life jacket on by now "just in case they got to close"

2BNVS1
14-04-2011, 11:28 AM
thats an awesome vid!!!

bennykenny
14-04-2011, 11:36 AM
thats awesome nath, had me on the edge of my seat thats for sure.

nathank
14-04-2011, 01:34 PM
yeah pretty cool stuff... My mate steve says he was crappn his pants but at the same time was just in awe of this extremely luck encounter.. about a year earlier i was surfing at a beach not far from turross and right on dusk had a bunch of dolphins come up to me.. one came close enough and slow enough to eyeball me whilst i got to pat it (run my hand along it) it came back for seconds as well all while my girlfriend was on the beach freaking out thinking it was a shark!!!
Nature sure does turn it on some days.. Went snapper fishing landbased one morning whilst it was still a bit dark and went to put my gear down on a "rock" i wasnt paying much attention (was a bit focused on the perfect conditions) got the shock of my life when it let out a massive bark.. it was a big male seal!!! Another time i was watching a little penguin dart around a rock ledge a mate and i were fishing and we stopped and were just watching it saying how cool it was etc... then outa nowhere there was a big wooosh over our shoulders as this dirty big seaeagle plucked it from about 5 foot away from us!!! Poor little bugger.

Rainbowrunner
14-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Grahams creek Gladstone, saw an echidna chasing bait in saltwater creek.

PinHead
14-04-2011, 02:27 PM
me catching a fish

Noelm
14-04-2011, 02:31 PM
well.. this is sort of something I didn't see, one night my wife and I were motoring home and I got hit smack in the face by a mutton bird, scared the bejesus out of me (and the bird) I have also "run aground" on a dead cow floating down the Shoalhaven river, just on daylight, drove the tinny right up onto it's belly!

johncar
14-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Lots of good stories.
Heading home from a fishing day off Moreton Island and noticed what seemed an unusual vessel approaching from the port side.

It only seemed small but was creating a hell of a lot of turbulence and a huge bow wave.
Thought on the side of caution and let it go by, but I was very close to it thinking it was small initially.
OK now I know at is a full size submarine surfacing and I am a bit close, Holy S#$t spin around and get some distance off this thing! because I could see now that there was a big nasty bow wave coming off it as it was surfacing full steam ahead.

After it passed I took a wide berth behind it and it was like crossing a bar with heaps of white water for miles. An amazing site.
Encounter heaps of big ships out there but never anything like that.

finga
14-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Strangest thing we've seen whilst fishing was a used nappy in our crab pot.
There were no crabs either for some reason :(

trilogy
14-04-2011, 05:56 PM
I was fishing with the wife at the mouth of a remote creek about 10 metres off the shore an hours run up the coast, no vehicle access, miles from anywhere, from behind the mangrove line onto the sand appears a good looking german shepard dog so I gave it a whistle thinking it was lost or dumped.It sat looking at us and then a very attractive nude woman appears,waves and says hello and wonders off down the beach with the dog following. We just looked at each other and said wonder where they came from? :o

trymyluck
14-04-2011, 07:01 PM
I was fishing with the wife at the mouth of a remote creek about 10 metres off the shore an hours run up the coast, no vehicle access, miles from anywhere, from behind the mangrove line onto the sand appears a good looking german shepard dog so I gave it a whistle thinking it was lost or dumped.It sat looking at us and then a very attractive nude woman appears,waves and says hello and wonders off down the beach with the dog following. We just looked at each other and said wonder where they came from? :o

Lucky the wife was there or there might have been 2 doggies following.........;D

Owen
14-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Was sitting in the tinnie off Gladstone one day and about 50m from the boat a spaniard launched out of the water about 12 feet vertically.
Sort of hung there flapping for a second then fell back into the water.
You can't buy shit like that.

bennykenny
14-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Was sitting in the tinnie off Gladstone one day and about 50m from the boat a spaniard launched out of the water about 12 feet vertically.
Sort of hung there flapping for a second then fell back into the water.
You can't buy shit like that.
same thing happened to me but only about 10 metres away down at the pin around kalanga bank, pretty cool stuff.

therapy
15-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Sitting anchored at the M3 with my old neighbour one day late last year, not much happening fish wise, nice calm sort of a day when we heard an odd distant grinding noise. We turned around to see a bloody huge container ship had run aground on the Moreton side of the channel. Looked like he was stopping at Bulwer for burger?!?! Went over for a look, first boat on the scene, got some video of it as we passed around the bulb on the front and later that night saw my boat on the news as we scooted around the big beached bugger. Got buzzed by the channel 7 copter as well and give them a big wave.
Also happened to be out there when the big fog rolled through last year too. Watched it roll towards us like a wall and got some more vid of us going in and out of it. Gotta love being on the water!!! Plenty of sh#t happens out there!!!!

Cheers...Terry.....

2DKnBJ
15-04-2011, 08:17 AM
I saw an Aussie driving a cab the other day......

Cheers Dazza

robersl
15-04-2011, 08:48 AM
I saw an Aussie driving a cab the other day......

Cheers Dazza
HAD TO BE A WATER TAXI HEY DAZZA
are you sure he was aussie how did you tell was it because he didn't have a yellow raincoat on ;D

flatzie
15-04-2011, 09:09 AM
we were coming in from the reef early one morning in NQ, near Snapper Island at the mouth of the Daintree.
I guess we were about 5 km from the island in a calm sea and then to our right we saw a huge bulge in the water that was moving south and we had to veer away to miss it. The only thing we could put it down to was a submarine under the water heading south. Pretty scary to see though
Cheers
Flatzie

fishnNauru
15-04-2011, 09:09 AM
saw dead dog floating off shore the other day...
saw some yellowfin jumping about 10ft out of the water after bait...nice
seen a dolphin go and pinch a fish off another boats hookup...kinda funny as long as it's not your fish i guess ;) smart little lazy mongrels those flippers...

STUIE63
15-04-2011, 09:25 AM
came around a corner in a creek one day and there was a bloke that got off the top of his missus in a tinny ::) . they both tried to lay on the floor out of sight :-[ . my son aged about 10 at the time asked what they were doing , I replied that he had probably dropped something and reached over to pick it up ;) . I asked my son at age 16 did he remember that day .after a bit of thinking he said that he did and I could see the lightbulb going on in his head as he realised what had been going on ;D

Noelm
15-04-2011, 11:02 AM
I was drifting years ago down Jervis Bay area, and it is a known Navy bombing range, a chopper hovered low over head and a Submarine surfaced about 100M away and told us we had 5 mins to get south of the lighthouse before the started bombing/target practice, it was quite common back then to be anchored on the Banks (not QLD banks) and the ships would be over the horizon and fire live shells over your head onto the range on shore, sounded like a big truck flying over your head, you would see the smoke on land, then you would hear the boom from the ship. The jets would (and I am sure they did it on purpose) fly in at christ knows what speed, at what seemed like sea level, and zoom right over your head, the noise was a jiffy behind them and it would scare the living sh!t out of us.

littlejim
15-04-2011, 11:54 AM
I was drifting down the Jervis Bay area, further south than Noelm, when I got overtaken and passed by an oil rig.

Looked like they were towing it north for repair or deconstruction.

One time also got a front stalls seat while the RNZAF Skyhawks did their gunnery and rocketry practice on the Point Perp range.

Noelm
15-04-2011, 12:24 PM
pretty spooky place when the Navy and so on are "playing" hey!

marto78
15-04-2011, 04:48 PM
I saw a dolphin take a live bait at Amity point one night and do about 5 back flips trying to dislodge the hook before snapping the line. The cheeky bugger was back 10min later and that was when we packed up and went home.

littlejim
15-04-2011, 06:03 PM
pretty spooky place when the Navy and so on are "playing" hey!
Usually the big guys stay away from where we fish, but I have been roused on when I got close to a boat dropping commandos/seals overboard in amongst the flathead. Untangling mutton birds from from the line is easier(and safer) than an irate commando.

The parachute school doing the 'water drops' from the back of a Herc, over near the Navy base, provides a bit of entertainment from time to time too. (Almost always a drop during October.)

URAGANGI
15-04-2011, 08:30 PM
I was on the Coomera River very early one morning. The tide was at dead low and I'm out pumping nippers. For no real reason I've turned around and looked over my shoulder, Bugger me here comes a full sized grey Roo belly sliding across the mud flats. Firstly I thought The roo had been injured. As I studied what was happening, it all made good scence. This Roo knew exactly what he doing. If he had hopped or jumped in that sloshy mud, by the time he had landed he would've gone arse over.
But no, ever so slowly he was streaching out and sliding across the flats. I've never seen a Roo do that before. The next step for this big Grey was a quick swim across to the other side of the river. This was done with a little less effort.
That grass must've been greener on the other side.!!

Peter4
16-04-2011, 06:56 AM
During a tough bite we were fishing Monduran (three weeks ago) when I hooked up to a small barra. As my son went for the net shot another small barra free jumped into the boat. Cleared the gunnels by 20cm or so!

We ended up with my fish (66cm) and the free jumper (56cm) flapping around while we looked at each other gobsmacked!

Later on the same morning I got my Xrap snagged. When the lure came up on the lure retriever attached to it was a bomber lure that my son lost to the same snag 5 weeks earlier...:o

BLOOEY
20-04-2011, 09:01 PM
one of my best mates Steve was out in his tinny off turros on the south coast in NSW with his uncle ( i was at work) he caught this unbelievable footage.. well worth a look.

Bloody unbelievable footage mate:o :o :o . I would have shat myself. Thanks for sharing! Ben

the gecko
21-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Last winter fishing at 5am in the pre dawn glow, I saw a strange light in the sky. It looked a bit like a Catherine Wheel (fireworks) , spinning about 1-2 km high in the sky. Sort of form a 'spring' shape or double helix, and was lit by the sun, even tho the sun had not risen yet. It drifted silently towards the east, but there was no wind.

Next day the papers were full of alien lights stories. Turns out a space rocket launching a sattelite had dropped its booster rocket, and the booster spins ejecting fuel as the suns rays hit it from below the horizon.

Awesome sight.

cheers
Andrew

Dignity
21-04-2011, 06:24 PM
a tied up crab in one of our pots, suspects someone didn't realise crabs don't need claws to walk over the side of the boat

a 4 foot bull shark in another pot, both these happened in the Robinson Rivre, NT

right on dusk off 12 mile, a tinnie was drifting about 20 metres away from us and about 5 metres beyond him w humpback decided to breach. it was an awsome sight especially with the setting sun in the background. the tinnie gave up and quickly left the scene, I wonder why as the fish were still biting

pueter66
22-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Fishing out the back of the Keppels about 30 klms out in crystal blue water when the Fitzroy flood waters come through in a straight line as far as the eye could see east to west and with enough force to drag anchors away It was amazing to see such a current so far out from land. I could not even gues how fast it was flowing.

four_button_arnie
22-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Flicking soft plastics down near Narooma and hooked into a school of Salmon, good fun. But then i noticed a large brown object speeding underwater towards the school, it was a bloody big seal. As I tried to pull the Salmon in i had to free spool to let it swim away from the seal, eventually got him to the rocks and pulled him up.

BUT the big seal had other plans and started charging up the rocks kind of barking at me, i sh!t myself:o (it had teeth like a German Shepard!). I hastily unhooked Mr Salmon then held him by the tip of the tale and gingerly hand fed the seal, he grabbed Mr S and swam out a little way and flicked him up in the air and that was all she wrote.

The Mrs and a few tourists watched the whole thing, trippy.

Josh

Greg001
22-04-2011, 11:53 PM
I was anchored up near Rocky Island one night about 15 yrs ago..needed a camp so crawled in to bed but woke up to the sound of something scraping the bottom of the boat...... I panicked thinking we had drifted onto the island. After checking it out we hadn't drifted but get this TRUE STORY .... a whale had decided to rub it's back on the bottom of our 17ft tinny.. we didn't move or make a sound until he or she took off 20 mins later..

Scared me i can tell ya

Mrs Ronnie H
23-04-2011, 04:02 PM
hi
Don't know about strangest but scariest was the red bellied black snake that decided to come aboard when anchored up near the boat ramp. Lucky we had a solid roof on the boat or I would of went through the canvas. When hubbie got back and i told him all he did was laugh . %%%##$$%^ I hate snakes with a passion.

LOL
Ronnie

hellfish
29-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Just remembered this one. Back when i was at school we used to camp/fish all night on the weekends on the pylons of the boyds bay bridge in the tweed river. Late one night with stuff all biting as we were all starting to doze off, I sh!t u not... IT STARTED RAINING CLOWNS. About 30 blokes pissed as the proverbial, dressed in full clown outfits decided to go for a 3am bridge jump in their clown suits!! It is one of those things that completly throws you for a bit. THERE ARE SCREAMING CLOWNS FALLING FROM THE SKY???????

wayno60
30-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Friday night, not the best weather wise, but hey a little rain never stoped me before.
Minding my own business sitting under the Ross St Bridge, 12.45am i hear a loud thud on the bridge above, well not right above but it came from up there somewhere...about 2min later i hear this scraping noise that sounded like metal on aluminium. just as i looked around to see if i could see where it was coming from i seen a big silver square box falling from the bridge.....splashhhhh, now i was 50m away from it and the boat still rocked from the wake of this thing...2 guy threw a safe into the river...
If i had of been where they threw it in it would have taken the front clean off the tinnie for sure...
I sat there for a min or two and i could hear some voices but couldnt make out what they were saying...when i got home i rang the cops and told them what had happened.
They took all the particulars and i thought that was that.
Sat morn i get a call from the water police wanting to know where exactly it went in, so only living 10min away i said id come over and show them. Now the night before on the way home i parked down from the bridge and walk up to where i thought it went in and you could see the scrape makes in the hand rail and the gouges in the bitchumen where they had droped it out of the GET A WAY CAR...
When i got there sat morn they wanted me to stand where the marks were on the handrail and they would cruise over the mark with the sounder and try and locate it.
After a few runs over the mark they got it cause they said, yer right mate all good, well be sending out the divers to suss it out....dought ill here the out come but im glad that dont happen everytime i fish there.

URAGANGI
05-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Hey wayno It may have been a safe that they were trying too get rid of. At least your head is still on your shoulders. I'd like to know what the divers found!!
cheers
Gav.

Chimo
05-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Came in from outside and pulled in at Wave Break Is to clean some fish and have some lunch.

Along comes a nice cruiser with a couple on board. Shes a real sort as became obvious when she peeled off all her gear to sun-bake on the rear pad. Even though I knew this be unhealthy what can you do?

A little later he must have thought he was a timber getter because he got her on the rear pad too.

OK all well and good, even though it was hard, I didn't stab myself and the fish got cleaned.

Then lo and behold they gave me a yell and invited me over for a beer. Damn right I went as the dress rules hadn't changed and she was obviously very proud of what she had and was happy to show it off.

I often go back to that spot to clean fish but alas it seems to have been a once off or my timings off, strange, sad but true; bugger it!

Cheers
Chimo

tropicrows
05-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Chimo, and then you woke up..

Chimo
05-05-2011, 03:57 PM
No, my friend, its all true! One of the most enjoyable beers ever served to me!

STUIE63
05-05-2011, 04:01 PM
you are a lucky lucky man Chimo

tropicrows
05-05-2011, 04:02 PM
you lucky bastard

therapy
11-05-2011, 01:00 AM
OK. Here is one that will be hard to beat. Drifting along the rock wall on the Redcliffe side of the new bridge and my mate says 'Have a look at that plane!!". I scanned the sky in the drirction he was pointing and saw nothing. I said "what bloody plane?!?". He replied "that one over there on the water". Sure enough there was a small bi-plane looking thing picking up speed and starting to plane (lol) then it took off into the wild blue yonder. We sat amazed as it dissapeared over the bridges and into the distance and out of sight. My mate swears, and it seemed the only possible explanation that it had launched at the ramp , proceeded out through the channel can's before it took off?!?!? Looked like bloody good fun to me!!!!

Cheers....Terry.....

Mr Squiggles
14-05-2011, 04:58 PM
There's a bloke who lands his ultralight of Scarborough & fishes out of it. I haven't been real close but it looks as though he has a light punt as undercarriage.
Anyone know any more about it?

tigermullet
14-05-2011, 08:34 PM
There's a bloke who lands his ultralight of Scarborough & fishes out of it. I haven't been real close but it looks as though he has a light punt as undercarriage.
Anyone know any more about it?

Several months ago I saw an ultralight with a semi-rigid inflatable attached. The pilot did a touch and go near the Esplanade at Jacobs Well. Very impressive. Looked like a lot of fun.

Nicko_Cairns
15-05-2011, 09:03 PM
spearfishing in the torres strait on a crappy vis tide in late afternoon (mate really wanted to go spearfishing) and on the edge of vis (about 5 metres away) i see an eye roughly just smaller than a tennis ball, the scariest part was that it was so murky i couldn't see what the eye was attached to... wasn't a turtle eye, so stuff knows. my guess is a really big hammerhead and by big i mean much bigger than a 4 meter as i've seen that size up close before. i'm guessing 6 meter plus.

10 seconds later i was back in the boat lol, enough for one day!

fever
21-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Anchored up live baiting off Morty, a big boat about 50 ft come straight at us. I got up the front ready to cut the anchor rope but they come flying past about 15 foot from us. On the back deck were about 15 blokes and one topless girl with very large mammories. They were all yelling and the the girl was shaking them and then as they just got past us she bent over and dropped her bikini bottom. They yelled we will be back at two oclock, we screamed we will be here.:o

theoldlegend
21-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Anchored up live baiting off Morty, a big boat about 50 ft come straight at us. I got up the front ready to cut the anchor rope but they come flying past about 15 foot from us. On the back deck were about 15 blokes and one topless girl with very large mammories. They were all yelling and the the girl was shaking them and then as they just got past us she bent over and dropped her bikini bottom. They yelled we will be back at two oclock, we screamed we will be here.:o

Bloody perverts. Never happened to me.

TOL

Orange_hains
24-05-2011, 01:01 PM
i must be fishing in the wrong spots i dont get any indecent interuptions = ( haha

Noelm
24-05-2011, 01:57 PM
I was bringing a charter boat back from the Whitsundays and we pulled in late one afternoon in an anchorage for the night, there was already a big yacht there and we stopped a good distance from them, as I was on the back deck getting ready to BBQ some food, I spied on the other boat, a rather good looking girl, completely naked walking up towards the bow, when she got there, she calm as you like, sort of dangled over the rail and took a dump! I was not sure whether I should yell at her, turn my back or what exactly! she just walked back inside as if nothing had happened!

Poppin King
14-07-2011, 03:53 PM
This is not really strange but it is funny. Me and my two cousins were fishin at 1770 landbased, it was a pretty hot day so we went into the water and sat down to cool off, meanwhile my younger cousin was holding his fishing rod out of the water so it would not get wet. A few mins later my older cousin says "Hey cam i think there is a big fish next to your line." My younger cousin stands up and says "Thats not a fish thats a bloody Stingray!!!!!" I tell ya we were all out of the water in a flash, then this stingray about a metre in diameter swims up and almost beachs itself still after my cousins bait, I think it did not know we were there, I tell ya I almost needed a change of underwear.

PK