PDA

View Full Version : re nameing your boat. how much beer is required...

luke8178
12-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi all, I want to re name a newley aquired boat, any superstitions you would follow to insure happy boating?

Obviousley a case of beer would be required...

cheers Luke

STUIE63
12-04-2011, 01:11 PM
just do a google search on boat renaming ceremony plenty of info there

fishfeeder
12-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Yeah, After you change the name you have to take a Bunch of Banana on every fishing trip for a year !!

Cheers
Brett

jason p
12-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah, After you change the name you have to take a Bunch of Banana on every fishing trip for a year !!

Cheers
Brett

lol and dont forget the green jocks, bad things happen in threes, now with all that you should have smooth sailing:) .

what was the old name and what is she to be??

jp

Lucky 1
12-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Re-naming boats is a very difficult job. When I named my boat my mind tended to wander to more simple matters such as where is the end of the universe, and why do we exist etc. Maybe I went 1 six pack too many;D

oldboot
12-04-2011, 10:58 PM
How much beer would you like it to take?8-)

cheers

luke8178
13-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Bannanas and Green Jocks... green jocks no prob but you know bannanas are $12 a kg now...

the boat is named Dunworkin' but i havent come up with a new one as yet

oldboot
13-04-2011, 10:35 AM
As has been mentioned elsewhere and previoulsy.

It is quite normal and not at all bad luck to change the name of a boat with ownership.

In the days of sail, it was common to capture a boat and rename it under new colours, most naval powrrs of the period had a convention on naming fighting ships.

Even today, many boats & ships are built under a slipway name, and not given their permanent name until the new owner takes posession.

Often boats are renamed after a refit.

What realy matters is the boat has a fitting a strong name for its use and the owner.

"DUNWORKIN", is an entierly unsuatable name for a young blokes boat, and I recon that is worse bad luck and shame for the boat than changing the name.

As far as the beer.....souldn't you be having a party for a new boat anyway.... but stay off the grog when she is on the water.

cheers

fishfeeder
13-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Strong Name, then I am screwed the previous owner of my boat called it "Dimples".... I would change it but it makes it easy to log on/log off at the VMR.

Cheers

MikeyS
13-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Beer? I thought Poseiden was a champagne drinker only- the more expensive the more he is appeased.

Fiction
14-04-2011, 10:12 PM
We renamed our boat from FAITH to FICTION when we purchased it. Read all the issues but havent had any problems touch wood. Oh yes the carton of beer was nice and cold. It has aquired a new name recently from the wife she calls it THE OTHER WOMEN. Sounds a little kinky if the phone rings and she tells people im down in the other women.lol
ENJOY YOUR NEW NAME

oldboot
15-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Of course that brings up the issue of duplicate names.

One very good reason to name your boat well, is for convienience logging on with the VMR and to help search and rescue people......and that is reason enough.

So ya want a name that is at least uncommon in your area.

There are some pretty good names that have been taken, or are commonly used.......

The presenter of "Precision trailer boat handling made easy" runs a huge charter boat called " The other woman" out of Sydney.

Arround Manly there are at least 2 "Carpe Deium" both sail boats.

So it realy takes some work to come up with a good stong name that is not already in use.

Think about the dignity of you and your boat, when you encounter a bigger fancier and better handled boat with the same name.

Its like turning up at a big fancy doo with ya wife or girlfriend and there is another girl wearing the same dress......not so bad if your Mrs is the better looking girl......but if it is the other way arround you have a week of misery to follow.

cheers