PDA

View Full Version : 'Cheaper' boat covers - any good?

Scott79
11-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Interested to hear from anyone who has used the generic boat covers, brand "OceanSouth" etc, available from BCF / Bias / Whitworths, for ~$250. Same with their outboard covers.

Are they any good?

I definitely don't need it to be towable, but am looking for an alternative to PVC tarps, and am considering either one of these or a canvas tarp.

Pros and cons??

Thanks,
Scott.

J2DAG83
12-04-2011, 05:28 AM
Hey Scott...

A year ago i bought one of the 20-23ft ocean south hardtop boat cover from bias (i think thats the one anyway) cost 400 bucks i think...... so far so good, no problems... i guess though i would be very disappointed if it hadn't even lasted me a year... hope this helps

jared

IcyDuck
12-04-2011, 08:20 AM
I purchased what sounds like the same as Jared's about 12 months ago from the same place for about the same odds. So far so good also. It's not a perfect fit of course but kept all that rain out earlier this year and it seems to breathe quite well. No mould or mildew in the boat. I haven't noticed any breakdown in colour or appearance.

Phil

Noelm
12-04-2011, 10:02 AM
the material they are made out of us quite light, they are OK, but will never last as long as a good custom made cover, but then they are cheaper, the fabric sort of decays like a cheap tarp after a while.

The-easyrider
12-04-2011, 05:34 PM
I bought a cheap cover once from super cheap, it fitted really well and kept the water out. But after about eight weeks I went to take it of one Friday arvo and the lining material had broken down and it made a hell of a mess in the boat. Was not Happy Jan took me hours to clean the mess out. Turns out they had a lot come back as they were not UV stabilized

Jabiru658
12-04-2011, 06:20 PM
I bought one of these covers for my polycraft when I was renting for 12 months while we built our new house, the cover sat out in the sun, rain, hail, frost and wind 24/7 for 12 months and other than looking pretty faded it was still as waterproof as the day I bought it.

I did buy the 'towable' one but it was really only suited to shorter trips since it used to bunch up or flap but I never expected an off the shelf cheapy to fit as well as a custom one.

For the cost it was worth it, I've been meaning to get one for my tinny since that still lives outside (need a bigger shed!).

Scott79
12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Sounds like they are an OK option for the medium term, I think I only got about 5 months out of my first PVC tarp (although admittedly it was replaced by the store - defect ;) ), but at this rate it won't be long before the cost of a cover will be recovered.

What are people's experiences with using a canvas tarp ??

Scott.

Noelm
13-04-2011, 09:25 AM
proper canvas is the best, but it is heavy, the modern custom made ones are from a sort of vinyl material that seems to have a couple of layers, a waterproof coloured outer, and a kind of breathable inner that looks more like cotton, it will last forever (almost) it is sort of like the stuff good canopies are made out of.

Johnny B
16-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi Scott,
I too have one of the cheaper type covers and it has been pretty good up until the time it rained really heavily and the water pooled on the top of the cover and it tore. It was repairable and only happened with the ridiculous amount of rain that the South East has experienced lately but try and set up the cover so that it cant pool as the material isn't as strong as tarps.
The only other issue I had with the cover was that it came with two occy straps to be attached to the stern of the boat and then a nylon rope that was to be threaded between the other plastic loops on the cover and tied off at the bow. I decided to replace the rope with some occy straps and was unpleasantly suprised at the amount of paint that it rubbed off my painted hull. We did live on a hill that was a windy place but just something to be mindfull of.
I Hope this helps.

John

bobby g
18-04-2011, 08:43 AM
I had a cheap one only lasted 1 year the sun broke down the material in no time, ok if the boat is out of the sun.

Scott79
18-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks to all for the replies - sounds like they are definitely a step up from a PVC tarp, but far from indestructible, which probably confirms my assumptions.

Back to canvas tarps, any good?? A few cheap ones on wee-bay, and given the intended purpose I would be happy enough with that, but are there any negatives ?? Not sure why, but I am assuming they might promote moisture and mould due to not breathing ?? Also concerned their rougher texture may cause paint loss ? Although anything will if not secured.

Thanks,
Scott.

xxxxhornet
15-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks to all for the replies - sounds like they are definitely a step up from a PVC tarp, but far from indestructible, which probably confirms my assumptions.

Back to canvas tarps, any good?? A few cheap ones on wee-bay, and given the intended purpose I would be happy enough with that, but are there any negatives ?? Not sure why, but I am assuming they might promote moisture and mould due to not breathing ?? Also concerned their rougher texture may cause paint loss ? Although anything will if not secured.

Thanks,
Scott.

Hi - looking at using canvas instead of a silver tarp also - any negatives with canvas?

wrxhoon
10-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I use a proper canvas tarp (30'x20') to cover my 21' Trophy, the only negative, its bloody heavy . It covers the boat front to back and all the way down the sides .
Don't bother with the cheap e-bay crap , they don't even use brass eyelets, the ones I have seen are not even treated.

Custom made canvas cover is the best but you want $2000+ for one.

lucee81
10-04-2012, 10:11 AM
i have one of the ocean south covers in my shed that i no longer use. used it for nearly 12 months and i found that the water used to pool on it. so had to try and prop it up with poles etc.
i have since got a super cheap portable carport. about $90 on special and when the cheap tarp etc dies will replace with a heavy duty uv tarp as all poles are aluminium/powder coated so cant see these dying anytime soon. Normally get about 2 years in NT weather out of these so cant be too bad in Brisbane i rekon. and i also got side walls to stop the rain getting in an extra $70.00 for the side walls.