PDA

View Full Version : P.B Hoo-Sunday G.C

FISHAWN
11-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Got out yesty off tweed in mates boat and got this bad boy in around 50m on a 6m laser pro.. very lucky to land him as he was hooked in the belly.
I also hooked a black marlin on a 2m laser pro in red head colour but dropped him as he got tangled on other line and the hex head met the lazer pro.
Also got a Fin and then a few hussar when we went deep but no snapper/pearlies.. must be extinct. Sensational day

honda900
11-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Looks to be a few on the deep divers.. nice work..

Regards
HOnda.

carnster
11-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Nice fish guys.

tenzing
11-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Great fish and wonderful photo.
They seem to like those lures at the moment hey.
Brendan

TimD
11-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Nice Hoo mate :thumbsup:

As others have said they are loving the diving hardbodies at the moment, i got a 18.5kg model last Saturday off southport on a green/gold Xrap magnum 30.

cheers tim :)

tenzing
12-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Just out of interest, do you guys have wire on your hardbodies.
We have trolled with none this season for much better results and no biteoffs yet.
Figure the price of a lure is worth the gamble and better bite rate.
Cheers
Brendan

trueblue
12-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Hey Brendan, ours was with no wire. 4 foot double on 24 kg, catspaw to swivell snap, straight to lure

tenzing
12-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Mzte maybe we've been really lucky, but same couple of lures on the same wind on witout changing , to a snap then lure.

Actually just re read your pot mick. No leader and running 24 kg??
Brendan

Captain Seaweed
12-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Good fish mate well done. Still yet to t that trip up ....

trueblue
13-04-2011, 06:07 AM
Mzte maybe we've been really lucky, but same couple of lures on the same wind on witout changing , to a snap then lure.

Actually just re read your pot mick. No leader and running 24 kg??
Brendan

yep, i run the x-rap for food fish only, and 15 kg line won't hold the pressure of the x-rap 30 running very short and deep on the corner. so I have one 24 kg set up with schneider line which is tough as buggery - if I'm being lazy, just a double and straight to the lure with the snap swivell.

FISHAWN
13-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Thanks lads was good to up the p.b, now gotta try top it soon, they seem to be thick at the moment.
Ive been running 15kilo straight to swivel with 60lb multistrand most of the time but got this guy on a 120lb halco premade mulitstrand leader as didnt have any home made jobs left.

Mart.. sing out mate always keen just work gets in the way sometimes.

tenzing
13-04-2011, 05:42 PM
yep, i run the x-rap for food fish only, and 15 kg line won't hold the pressure of the x-rap 30 running very short and deep on the corner. so I have one 24 kg set up with schneider line which is tough as buggery - if I'm being lazy, just a double and straight to the lure with the snap swivell.
Mick we run 6 or 7 m divers on 15kg but with a premade 100lb leader.
Brendan

Greg P
13-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Gees you guys fish some heavy line. I run 8kg on all my trolling outfits running deep divers in close and fluzi on the SG when I am on a meat run. I have cleaned up more hoo on the fluzi this year than any other lure and it makes for some good surface action. Just run a double on that to a snap swivel and 100 lb leader. All the hards are single strand wired as short as possible to just keep away from the razors (2-4inch max) with good quality dark barrel swivels. All hard bodies are upgraded on the split ring front and back to back singles (ala Nomad set up for stick baits) and they work a treat. I was running treble stingers on a 2 inch wire but that has just been overkill so not needed.

For the last month or so the hoo are like fleas on a stray dog so if you are in the right spot at the right time they are going to fire. Been a good year for them - shame about the sticks.

Jackinthebox
14-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Top fish mate, plenty of wahoo burgers a la Stanage style eh?

trueblue
14-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Gees you guys fish some heavy line. I run 8kg on all my trolling outfits running deep divers in close and fluzi on the SG when I am on a meat run..

hi Greg / Brendan

my x-rap 20 magnums will run on 15 kg, but the x-rap 30 magnum won't. I don't like the 24 kg, but have one rod on the boat just to run the x-rap 30. even with over 9kg of drag, the x-rap 30 still pulls drag on the 24 line when surfing on a wave. for all other deep divers (halcos etc) 8 or 15 works fine.

FISHAWN
15-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Yeh mick, hoo burgers a la stanage styles goes down real well for lunch at work.

How often do you guys get bitten off when running mono leaders ?