PDA

View Full Version : Redclaw???

uglyfish
11-04-2011, 05:08 PM
With school holidays coming fast, was just wondering if there is any other dams about that hold redclaw other than the 3 obvious dams, my misses younger brother wants to go clawing with his small boat he got for Xmas without getting in to crap from rangers for using it or getting run over by idiots on jet ski or ski boats..

Cheers in advance...James

Mike Delisser
11-04-2011, 08:21 PM
So tell us which are the obvious dams and maybe we can add a few more.

I wondering why would your boat get him in trouble with the rangers?

uglyfish
11-04-2011, 08:49 PM
So tell us which are the obvious dams and maybe we can add a few more.

I wondering why would your boat get him in trouble with the rangers?

Npd, wivenhoe n Somerset..

Not my boat that will get him to trouble, never said it was...It's his and its a 2.4m blow up job..Most dams won't let u on like npd without paying a ridiculous amount just so a kid can have fun..

Feral
12-04-2011, 04:32 AM
Uglyfish,
I've not heard of any in this spot, but I reckon it would be worth a shot.
Try Youngs crossing below NPD, good access for the small boat, very high chance that redclaw have gone over the wall as well as fish. The picnic area still looks a bit rough after the flood, but its safe enough.

If nothing else he stands a good chance of picking up a bass or two.

Just keep an eye on the water flow, they still have a cone valve open and there is a fair bit of water running at the moment. Dont go there if there has been rain in the last 48 hours, odds are the flow will be to high. (Likely they might open a gate if they get much rain)

Hinze has claw in it as well.

He needs no permit for an inflateable at either somerset or wivanhoe. Permits are only required for trailer boats.

griz066
12-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Cressbrook Dam I believe

uglyfish
12-04-2011, 06:34 AM
Thanks feral, its a shame npd doesn't allow it, kids just can't have fun like they used to..All these regulations and so forth is a bit ridiculous, what harm would he be doing paddling around running 4 redclaw pots?

Gordie
12-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Put him in a lifejacket hey.

Mike Delisser
12-04-2011, 02:20 PM
I recon NPD and Kawongbah are just about the only dams I've fished that his blow up boat is not allowed on. Seqwater web site lists the activities allowed at each dam http://www.seqwater.com.au/public/recreation/activities-by-location
You'll also get good hauls of red claw at Boondooma, Borumba, Maroon, Awoonga, BP, Mondy and I think Moogerah.

BaysideDrew
20-04-2011, 06:01 PM
I also don't agree with the boating permit scheme at NPD. It's such a popular spot for a picnic but you can't paddle a canoe unless you pay the fee. Taking red claw from the dam is doing them a favour and if you want to fish you have to get your SIPS permit anyway so why the boating access scheme for non-power boats? Seems crazy...

Feral
21-04-2011, 09:58 PM
If you just want to have a paddle, you can join the canoe club part of the sailing club. Their fee is only $240 a year......cant fish though. They do have nice grounds and picnic areas though.

Either way you cant access the front of the dam (bullocky rest etc), only the sailing and fishing lease areas depending on which you join.

I'm hoping they do open up the front part of the dam to public access when the review comes out towards the end of the year, but word is that if anything, they will be tightening up on access. I hope thats just rumour.

The fees for the fishing access all goes in to stocking the dam, it used to be $150, but when the lake became part of the SIP scheme, the PRFMA generously dropped it to $100. Somewhat more of a drop than the $35 the SIP costs. The boating access fee has provided more than 2 million fingerlings for the dam over its life.