PDA

View Full Version : Spare Trailer wheel

champion
11-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi All

I need a spare wheel for the tinnie trailer.
Can anyone tell me where to find one or if you have one.
Its a holden 5 stud pattern.

I have been quoted from a boat yard and nearly fell of my chair when he told me the price. So im looking for an alternative.

Thanks

O-3
11-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Try a wreckers or find a place that sells second hand tyres etc.

jason p
11-04-2011, 04:59 PM
i got my new spare rim and tyre from bridgestone tyres. ithink the lot was $185.

jp

Homer_Jay
11-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I was recently chasing one myself and rang one dealer and also fell off my chair.

But I called into the marine place at Burpengary (the yamaha dealer, I cant remember the name). They sold me a multifit (ford and holden) galvinised rim for $65 and I just called into a tyre place and got a secondhand tyre cheap as. Good value I reckon, and the galvinised rim matches whats already on the trailer.

Noelm
12-04-2011, 08:19 AM
you say it is a Holden stud pattern, but we need to the size as well, the same pattern has had 9,10,13 and 14" wheels, all are readily available, if it is only for a spare, and 13 or 14" then a second car wheel will be OK, the other sizes will be a boat shop.

manboat
12-04-2011, 09:59 AM
I found one on ebay for $30

Flex
12-04-2011, 01:26 PM
I got a rim from the wreckers for about $30, then went to a tyre shop and got a new tyre.

Dont use old tyres, even if they have heaps of tread rubber has an expirey date and its not worth the headache to use a 10y old tyre.

Just be careful if you get a second hand tyre, make sure its load capacity is sufficient. I.e most trailer tyres are light truck tyres.

if you run a standard car tyre you may have issues.

Horse
12-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Active Fabrication at Beenliegh is well worth looking ay

Dignity
12-04-2011, 07:31 PM
go to one of those Jap reseller places, cheap as chips, usually come off a jap car that has been imported but because of our strict rules they take them off and put new ones on, usually plenty bargains to be held and although there may be sceptics out there, the ones I have bought have outlasted new rims and tyres I have bought direct from tyre outlets.

oldboot
12-04-2011, 10:43 PM
These days the best place to buy trailer wheels is from a trailer spares supplier.

Active fab has been mentioned

there is also All trailer spares at Salbury...and a number of other places.

The actual HT holden 13 inch rims are pretty rare these days, most of the wheels with that stud pattern are specificaly made for the trailer industry

A galvanised 13" rim complete fitted with a new light truck tyre can be had for arround $130.

cheers

Scalem
13-04-2011, 06:46 AM
Champion, be careful. This clown ( me) carried around a spare holden wheel for ages, then one day decided to throw the spare on just to be sure. It didn't fit!! These days many of the trailer manufacturers import a 13" ford stud pattern which can only be ordered as a trailer wheel. I assumed it was holden, when I ordered the trailer I asked for holden but got an uncommon 13" Ford stud wheel, which is easy enough to get in if you avoid marine dealers who will charge a motza compared to a tyre company.

Scalem

Noelm
13-04-2011, 08:30 AM
an early Holden wheel is 13" the HT wheel is 14" (same stud pattern), they changed pattern in commodore and HQ, the same pattern is available in 9" and 10", don't know where you will buy a 13" gal wheel with a light truck tyre for $130, most dealers are around $175-$199, most dealers these days keep the "universal" wheel, that is, has Holden and Ford pattern and fit both, probably a far safer bet these days, as you may need either to get you or someone else out of trouble someday. I have also seen some horror trailer mismatches, like Holden one side, Ford the other, bearings not the same both sides, all sorts of shit can bring you undone when you are stuck on the side of the road, sunday afternoon, boat and trailer all sad looking with a something broken, kids crying, wife yelling odsentities at you, aahh, the joy of it all.

PADDLES
13-04-2011, 09:01 AM
biggest issue is the wheel size, if it's a little 10 inch one then there's usually a few stray ones on ebay and gumtree. 13 inch galvanised steel ones are best bought from a trailer mob. i recently did up a trailer and got quoted $60 for a galvanised 13 inch HT rim from some mobile trailer parts guys that run out of caboolture, couple that with a second hand tyre for maybe $30 including fitting and you'll get out of it for around the $100 mark. as another bit of useless info i ended up buying 3 near new 10 inch alloy ones with good tyres for my tinny trailer for $130 off ebay.

oldboot
13-04-2011, 09:48 AM
The early holden stud pattern with early holden bearings is the most common on light trailers because it is the cheapest option....( the earlier holdens had 13 inch wheels on the HT stud pattern) ........but the stub axles for that bearing system are flat out at about 1 tonne.... so mostly holden bearings an studd pattern are on trailers under 750Kg

Almost the sole source of reasonably priced HT stud pattern wheels is the trailer industry, and they will do 9", 10", 12", 13" and 14"

The ford bearings are stronger, and on the right axle profile they will do 1.5 tonne no problems......so anybody mostly building trailers over 1 tonne may standardise on ford bearings.
AND lots of vehicles still on the road use a 5 stud ford stud pattern...Current fords, toyota, mitsubishi and other commercials.....so rims can still be sourced used.

BUT

you can order whatever stud pattern you like on whatever bearing system you like and long as the wheels will accomodated the hub size.

And you can order 13 inch rims on 5 stud ford.....something that was never on a production car.

Like all trailer parts....the price depends on how far up the food chain you buy....and often how "Retail" you look when you walk in the door.

AND, it varies from part to part.....some of the boating discounters are very competitive on rollers and stuff, but not real flash on suspension components.

Some of the trailer parts suppliers may be competitive on metal hardware, but I can get better prices on quality tail lights and stuff from my local diesel parts supplier...and a better range.

I recon the $180 to 200 would be a fair expectation of a retail price for a rim and cheap tyre.

cheers

purnong
13-04-2011, 06:40 PM
I called into my local Bob Jane store today and got quoted $112 for a steel rim and cheapy tyre
The rim was $45 and is the one in the following link http://www.mullins.com.au/stw-rangerblack.asp
I had to order a colour rim because the galv ones won't be available until May
I pick it up Friday, I was pretty happy with the price

champion
14-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Thank you all for your advice and help !!!

We bought a Universal type from the tyre shop on Edinbourough Castle Rd Kedron. $115 all up.

Thanks again
Joe

Dean1
15-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Just bought 2 from active fab rim/tyre $120 each for the boxtrailer. I put these on my boat as well, galinized rim light truck tyre cheap as chips!

Noelm
15-04-2011, 11:24 AM
$120 is cheap enough, a light truck tyre is about $70 for a shabby no name one, and a gal rim on its own is about the same, so it seems like a good price to me, I have to get 4 to replace the 10" Holden pattern wheels on the cat trailer. Looked all over for some early 13" alloy wheels, but they are very scarce.

oldboot
15-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Good old "vintage" 13" holden mags will be pretty thin on the ground and will go for a premium.

Remember in that period mags were far from common and EXpensive.....so the hotrodders will snap em up as soon as they surface and if they are slow of the mark someone will snaffle emfor a trailer.

Good luck with that one.

The trailer mags are easy enough to get new..such that they are.

cheers

Noelm
15-04-2011, 12:27 PM
yep, the old "hotwires" or the ones with the 5 small kidney shaped holes are the best for boats, really good alloy that almost never corrodes, my old boat had hotwires on it, should have swapped them over when I sold it.