PDA

View Full Version : e-tec or 4 stroke

Sevric
11-04-2011, 04:03 PM
I do not get the chance to to purchase a new rig very often and every time i do there seems to be a never ending array of new you beaut toys to look at. I will be putting a 40 on the back of a new tinnie shortly and am a little undecided about the Evenrude e-tec verses any one of the 4 strokes availiable today. My previous motor has been a 4 stroke and i have been impressed by it but now i am faced with the new option from Evenrude.
What are every ones thoughts on this for a 40 on the back of a new tinnie shoud i stick with the proven 4 stoke or listen to all the hype surrounding the e-tec?
All thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

STUIE63
11-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Dick I would trial the etec I think it would have more out of the hole but it is a 2 cylinder so there might be a bit more vibration than a 4stroke . but definately worth a trial . my brother had the 50 and it used next to no fuel and was surprisingly quiet

mirage
11-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi Dick, not to be rude but do a quick search and you will find a mountain of info and BS on this subject.

Spaniard_King
11-04-2011, 04:28 PM
I am with Stuie, you need to test the Etec and way up the features of what the engines have to offer. Ensure there is good fuel filtration on the boat in adition to the engine and they should all serve you well.

lethal098
11-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Have a read through the forum and use the search function the 2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke has been done over and over again. Plenty of good info out there but at the end of the day go with what will suit you overall. Test the boat with each and see which is more suited.

Cheers Lee

Spaniard_King
11-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Have a read through the forum and use the search function the 2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke has been done over and over again. Plenty of good info out there but at the end of the day go with what will suit you overall. Test the boat with each and see which is more suited.

Cheers Lee

Lee, what dealers will let you throw an engine on the back of your boat to test them out???

oldie
11-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Suzuki A Series 40HP is the only option why would you pay that much money for a 2 cylinder with the etec?

Jabba_
11-04-2011, 07:26 PM
You got to take both for a test run.. What someone love about a certain motor, you may hate.. Both are great motors and will serve you well for many years if you look after them..

Spaniard_King
11-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Suzuki A Series 40HP is the only option why would you pay that much money for a 2 cylinder with the etec?

Oldie, are you sure about that!

Read the following pages if you beleive that. Good to compare specs;D

http://suzukimarine.com/sr_07/df50-40/features/

http://marine.honda.com/Products/modeldetail/BF40

Sevric
12-04-2011, 08:37 AM
I would like to thank every one for their imput. I was totally unaware the subject had been done to death let alone spurned an aparent e-tec hate club.
I have gone on to do some research on the internet at various places and the consesus seems to be the same everywhere that they are good.
Despite the hate club i am leaning the e-tec way for a few reasons. Better or slightly better economy and fewer services. Better out of the hole grunt and last but not least the man who sells them here in Bundy has serviced my Merc 4stroke for some years. I have grown to trust his workmanship, not cheap but non the less solid and reliable.
I have appreciated your imput Spaniard king. I will be installing a small underfloor tank and will install a water trap styled filter as well to go with it as well as adding some of the special gook to the tank to stop the fuel from going stale. It takes a lot of honesty for a Honda dealer to give unbiased advise; thanks.

STUIE63
12-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Dick
if your local dealer is that good then go that way . there is a lot to be said for having a good relationship and trust with your dealer
Stuie

Noelm
12-04-2011, 08:59 AM
having been in the rather enviable position of having owned and operated the three main operating principals for a lot of hours, those being, carby 2 stroke, HPDI 2 stroke (as in ficht, e-tec others) and 4 strokes, I can tell you in all honesty, I would have any of them again, and the difference in the DI 2 trokes and 4 strokes, is not worth the argument (unless it is for fun) they are both great, both have similar performance and fuel economy and total cost to own and run over a period of time is so close it is not funny, you will always get the lovers and haters of all types of motors, but in the main most of their comments are to be taken with a grain of salt, buy the motor that suits you.

Flex
12-04-2011, 10:07 AM
In small outboards Im a big 2 stroke fan. Anything over 90-100hp I'd be looking at a 4 stroke.

Simple fact managing the e-tec oil is a pain in the ass and very expensive on the large models in my opinion although others may disagree.

When it comes to a 40hp I personally would favour the e-tec. Simple fact is the oil use is minimal at such a low HP range its a non issue. Also servicing savings is a big factor aswell. Added to that you can leave your 2 stroke sit for extended periods and not have to worry about regular 6 months services.

Also, I've spent a bit of time in various tinny's with 2 strokes and 4 strokes. From my experience small 4 strokes have a noticible lack of performance compared to exactly the same boat with a 2 stroke.

If anyone has ever driven a tinny in chop/swell. You will know you ride the throttle on/off coming over and down waves etc, changing direction often and speed to stay on the plane or ahead/behind waves.
I noticed with the 4 strokes I drove it was very unresponsive and I became quite frustrated with it.

lethal098
12-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Lee, what dealers will let you throw an engine on the back of your boat to test them out???

Garry, i for one would never buy a new boat without being able to test it out, its a lot of coin to be buying that and hoping that it does what the salesman says.
Most dealers should have a demo or access to a boat for testing.

Cheers Lee

BARRA73
12-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Mate I went through the etec vs 4 stroke when deciding what to get 3 years ago and I read all the posts and etec bashing and I ended up going for an etec that goes in for its first service on monday and i have not had an ounce of trouble with it.

Its pleasing to see blokes give you good advice on both types of motors and not just I knew a mate of a mate that says they are the worst outboard on the market. Any type of outboard is good if properly maintained. All outboards can have issues and recalls on parts just as vehicles do. If a dealer really wants your money then they'll let you test one on the water. Good luck with the choice.

Cheers.

Flex
12-04-2011, 07:02 PM
If anyone is worried about reliability I still dont think you can go past a carby 2 stroke. No valves,Belts,cams,rods,electronics. Just fuel and a spark and your good to go...

All the electronics in the new outboards both 4 stroke or 2 stroke, can have issues at any point. Specially if your outboard has a slight overheating issue. Electronics do not like it al all...

Splash
12-04-2011, 09:25 PM
I will be installing a small underfloor tank and will install a water trap styled filter as well to go with it as well as adding some of the special gook to the tank to stop the fuel from going stale.

can u provide more detail on this info please?

filter

gook

etc

SPlash

Sevric
13-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Hi Splash
I am still undecided about the underfloor fuel thing but it would free up the storage and floor space in the boat very well. The dealer will install the tank prior to delivery if i decide to go ahead. He advised me that the fuel tank would then hold 60 litres. Holding that much fuel can be a problem in an underfloor situation as the 40 horse motor will not use it fast enough if left to sit for any length of time creating a condensation problem in the tank. The installation of a small glass bowled filter in the fuel line will take any water out before it reaches the engine to create problems on the water. There is also an additive you can place in your fuel these days to stop this from occurring in the first place. I am unsure of the name as i have never had to purchase any to this point but most boat dealers and some better tackle shops carry this.

Flex
13-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Fuel additives are more for maintaining the octane rating of fuel thats sitting dormant in your tank for a few months. Fuel will start to lose its rating after 3-4 weeks

Is there somthing you put in your tank to "gunk up" any water?

generally if you have any water it will be at the bottom of your tank, which is where the fuel pickup is. So as initially you can be sucking mostly pure water. But a decent fuel water seperator will take care of the issue.

Personally you'd be made not to have a seperator if you have a underfloor tank..

Noelm
13-04-2011, 01:45 PM
there is a few additives to help fuel remain "fresh", and also to absorb water, along with lots of miracle clean your carby or injectors, clean your pistons, or god knows what else, most do half of bugger all, but the fuel "conditioner" and water absorbers all seem to work OK, almost all the major brands have their own varieties.