PDA

View Full Version : Greedy Gold Coast Snapper

spenceandkim
10-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Left the Southport Pool boat ramp at 5.45am heading to 20 fathoms with BrentP and my son Luke. Had just left the seaway when we came across some tuna chewing a bait ball, they were feeding on very small baitfish maybe frogmouth pilchards and didn't want to know about our lures. Continued out to the 20s east of seaway in clear blue water full of optimism as we had picked up a few Spaniards out that way a while back and the conditions seemed perfect (except maybe water temp 23c? anyone know if that is too cold?). Trolled our usual haunt for no results so continued out to the 24s and drifted with half a pilly while Luke caught livies for Brent. It was pretty quiet really until I had a big hit and a five minute fight for my PB fat snapper and only the second legal size snapper I've caught in 18 months. Continued drifting for 2 trag at 46cm each then headed home around 10:30am. Saw another couple of bait balls on the way home and still no luck with the lures (anyone have any advice?). Sorry Brent for not finding you any fish maybe next time. The fat Snapper went 3.55kg and when I gutted it I checked it's stomach to see why it was so fat. The greedy fish had 2 gurnard, 3 flathead, 2 real small baitfish and some unidentified gunk which I think was another 2 flathead in it's stomach but still took my half pillie. Will post another photo soon. Good Morning.

Speniard.

fishandchips
10-04-2011, 07:46 PM
well done mate that sure is one hungry fish. Luke

ozassassin
11-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Good going there mate, Well done.

Brent_P
11-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Spencer,

There were some reports on Coastwatch of spanish on the east 18's and the gravel patch east of Burleigh on Saturday, so maybe they came on after we left for the 24's :), or they were too focused on eating those tiny frogmouths, like every other pelagic fish seemed to be that day. Or maybe there were very few spanish there at all on Sunday, who knows?

Certainly a good snapper for that area.

Anyway, here's a photo I took at sea.

Cheers,

Brent.

Jono_SS
11-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Nice catch there Speniard.

It can be bloody hard IDing gut contents of fish, especially when the gut contents are also fish (they seem to start looking all the same quite quickly). I wouldn't be suprised if those flathead-like fish are "dragonets" - Calionymus species - do a google search or look them up on fish base. They start off looking quite pretty, but the digestive juices don't treat them well!

cheers.

Jono.