PDA

View Full Version : Coffs Harbour Snapper

Boat Hog
09-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Went offshore out of Coffs today with the Good Wife for a fish. Hit the ramp at 7.00am (Team Daylate!), got out into the Harbour and noticed the water was discoloured from all of the recent rain this past week. Temp was down on last week too 21 - 22 degrees. As it was overcast (low light) and murky water we headed to the inshore reef areas near Split Solitary Island.

Anchored up and started fishing. 16 meters deep, gravel bottom. Bit slow at first then the wife started to pull up pan size Snapper on her handline. I was floating ganged pillies in the burley trail and having no luck (no current and no real trail going out!). After the wifes 3rd Snapper :-[ I changed tactics and rigged up a rod to fish the bottom directly under the boat. Started pulling in a few (larger) snapper of my own;). Wife now looking over to see what I was doing::) !

I had kept a lightly weighted ganged pillie floating out the back about 6-8 meters down in case a Mackeral came along. The wind picked up and I was thinking maybe we should call it a day when my rod with the floating pillie bent over with the reel screeming, 20lb braid peeling off. I called it for a Mackeral ... it kept making those large runs, no head shakes and it wasn't diving down just heading for the horizon. Got it alongside the boat and it was the largest Snapper of the day!;D Just shows that it pays to fish different parts of the water column.

Caught and released numerous sharks and rays which chewed through our tackle a bit. But on the plus side not one Red Rock Cod or Sgt Baker was hooked!

Pulled the pick about 11.30 and headed home.

All up 10 Snapper and one Tailor.:)

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/jim_in_oz/DSC_0976.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/jim_in_oz/DSC_0973.jpg

kitty_cat
09-04-2011, 05:30 PM
healthy feed there mate glad someones getting into them

marto78
09-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Some nice fish there Jim.
That would have to be the most snapper we have seen on this forum all year.

Angla
09-04-2011, 08:59 PM
That's a very healthy looking catch. Glad to hear the bigger gave a good account of itself,, and your patience paid off.

Cheers
Chris