PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the Murray

harry9972
09-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi,
I'm canoeing down the Murray from the Hume weir to Yarrawonga next week. If anyone has any tips regarding lures, times, locations etc I'd appreciate it. Most of my experience has been saltwater fishing in SE QLD. 8-)

Cheers
Harry

wamjam
09-04-2011, 10:38 AM
I'd get an 80mm lure that dives to about 10 ft and troll it behind you the hole way. Take some spinner baits because they will cover any depth, cast the snags. Cod usually stay in the deeper water through the day and move into the shallows as the sun drops, so if you consentrate casting an hour before dark to an hour after dark, that will give you the best chance. This time of year is a great time to catch the bigger fish, the small fish all seem to hide and keep out of the way of the bigger fish that are feeding up before winter. I like to use bigger lures, 100mm plus. If the water is coloured go for a darker colour, I use mainly green lures but any colour works, try to imitate what they are eating. eg redfin , small yella's, small cod.
Sounds like a great trip.
Good luck Scott

Aussie123
09-04-2011, 11:19 AM
You have a fantastic trip ahead of you but a long way to paddle,lol
From the Hume Weir spillway right down to Albury carries a lot of cod and Yellas but that is a superb trout fishery as well so I would take a selection of Tassie devils and fish that stretch for trout and then cod and yellas from Albury down.
Halfway to Albury though you will paddle past a big public reserve on your right.This is Mungabareena Reserve and just a few K's below there on your left you will see a smaller river flow into the Murray.
This is the Kiewa River and if you have an hour or 2 spare give that mouth and upstream section of the Kiewa a real flogging as it is one of the best cod and yellowbelly producing areas you will travel past.
Large deep diving lures like Stumpjumpers,Orgee's ect are the best options as well as spinner baits.
Smaller deep divers for Yellowbelly and Redfin.
Cast to the logs in the water and under the willow trees and any big swirling eddies that you come across.
Cast slightly upstream of the trees and get the lures down and let the current sweep them in under the trees for best results.
The closer to Mulwala you get the warmer the water gets and the more cod and yellas will be around.

Be very careful of any willow trees on sweeping bends as the currents in the Murray often do not look very strong but you can get sucked in under the trees so quickly.They can be very dangerous even in a tinny with a motor.
If you are camping there is plenty of beautiful little islands that you can pull up on for the night without any dramas.
Good luck with the expedition.
I grew up at Albury and spent half my life fishing that entire stretch of the Murray and it is just superb scenery and the fishing is remarkable.

Moffy
09-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Watch out for snags trolling - bl00dy hard to get a lure back when paddling in a canoe with the current in the river...(especially if there's no one else paddling!!) I camp and fish below Yarrawonga every easter (just not this year) and gave away trolling from the canoe pretty quickly. Can be done - but be prepared to go through some lures - more doable if two of you per canoe though.

aussiebasser
11-04-2011, 11:01 AM
The Murray around the junction with the Ovens just above Mulwala has been fishing very well lately.

LostNearBribie
12-04-2011, 01:38 PM
How are you going to paddle with a stubbie in one hand a ciggie in the other mate?

harry9972
12-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi Gents,
Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to get down there and into it now I have an idea of what is lurking in wait for me. Hopefully I'll have a few nice pics to post when I get back. Thanks again.

Cheers
Harry

PS Lost near Bribie. I plan on hiding up the back of the two man canoe, less paddlin more fishin !!! 8-)