PDA

View Full Version : Re carpeting trailer bunks

06Adsy
08-04-2011, 09:49 PM
G'day blokes,

I'm contemplating re-carpeting the bunks on my trailer due to them looking a little shabby and I'm after advice on a suitable adhesive. Under the carpet looks to be a black glue which I'm guessing is Sika? The bunks themselves are timber.

Any help from anybody in the know would be greatly appreciated.

bigjimg
09-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Gidday,you will need to remove all the existing adhesive first.Take the bunks off the yokes and either manually or mechanically remove the adhesive back to clean timber surface.Use a contact adhesive or latex suitable for wet environment.I would wire wheel the timber first lightly to provide a key for the adhesive and make sure it is dry.Jim

06Adsy
10-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Gidday,you will need to remove all the existing adhesive first.Take the bunks off the yokes and either manually or mechanically remove the adhesive back to clean timber surface.Use a contact adhesive or latex suitable for wet environment.I would wire wheel the timber first lightly to provide a key for the adhesive and make sure it is dry.Jim

Great info, thanks bigjimg

Got any recommendations as to a suitable brand of product?

oldboot
10-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Is the glue black glue or glue that has gone black?

Lost of glues will turn black in contact with water and or timbers rich in tannins.

Depending on the glue and the absence of nails and screws, often the best thing to get glue off with is carefull use of an electric hand plane.

You can make a real mess of timber with a wire brush, I'd leave that one out.

120 gritt sand paper is plenty of key for any decent glue.

How is and what type is the timber and what is being done to protect the timber.

some glues don't perform well over paint.

Are you just carpeting the tops or wrapping the bunks?

There are heaps of glues that will do the job, its not like it is permanently immersed.

If ya want a quick and easy job, contact cement is a choice.

If ya realy wnat it tos stick and stay put, one of the polyeurathane glues ( gorilla glue, purbond...)or sealers ( sica, bostic gold....)would be a better choice, but you will have to clamp or wrap to hold in position while it goes off......that gladwrap packing tape would do the job.

cheers

06Adsy
10-04-2011, 07:14 PM
So it seems what I thought to be old glue, was just paint. :-?

I came across these vids on Youtube.

It looks like a pretty easy job, Thanks for the replies.

w4vYikmDbtY

XjCLppObmnQ&feature=related

cormorant
10-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Why not put polly strips where the carpet was and that way it won't hold sand or moisture against the hull? probably not a s cheap and quick as carpet depending on your bunks.

I've only ever wrapped bunks and used strip of wood screwed on to hold it not used glue..