PDA

View Full Version : bush n beach mag

ranga7
07-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Any ausfishes buy the bush n beach mag, what a bargain. Theres alot of stuff around these days that i see the price tag on and think, your bloody kidding. $3.50, full of great info on everything fishing and boating. i subscribed.;D

74fpv01
07-04-2011, 07:35 PM
ditto , am about to subscribe. had a subscription to modern fishing , but the BnB is 1000% more relevant to me.

Muddy Toes
07-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Same same, i've subscribed for a few years now and i think the main reason why i keep it going is because of its relevance to me living in SE qld. Scribes from this area talking about places in my own backyard, i've met quite a few of them and they're not big city journos just down to earth fisherman that write about whats been happening.

whatscracken
07-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Its a great mag for sure mate. Webby has been missing in action for a while now.

His reports/articles are always the first read. Closely followed by Greg's!

theoldlegend
08-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Yeah, at $79 for 2 years it's pretty good. Chief is generally first, then I go through the rest of it.

A lot of it is very relevant to my general area, also there's the stuff from northern NSW.

TOL

charleville
08-04-2011, 08:07 AM
B&B is the best of the mags for SE Qld fishers, in my opinion because, apart from the local knowledge value in it, it is more likely to have more useful info on techniques than most of the others.

I used to subscribe to lots of fishing magazines. The glossies just tend to be escapist magazines. Good to read when you are on an aeroplane for business reasons and not really wanting to be there but not really containing much useful info. They are also really expensive.

Qld Fishing Monthly is also pretty good and similarly cheap but it's statewide focus reduces its usefulness for SE anglers compared with B&B.

I stopped buying any fishing magazines a year or two ago because there is a tendency for each month's stories to be much the same as those for that month every other year. ie, in September, you will always get plenty of stories about catching flathead and likewise for the other months and the prevailing seasonal fish at the time, whether it be snapper, spotties, bream or whatever. After a few years of subscriptions, I found that I was really only reading one or two of the articles because there was little new in the others for me. The advertisements are good to read, though.

Be on the lookout though for articles by Paul Graveson (the Chief), Brian Webb and Jason Comino. They tend to be pretty good and filled with info rather than just escapism.

devocean
08-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Queensland Fishing Monthly has better writers :)

charleville
08-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Queensland Fishing Monthly has better writers :)

Is that code for "I write for them"? ::)

Better in what sense? They part their hair more neatly? They go to Church regularly?
They are more grammatically correct?

I don't need any of that. I just want to know that they know how to catch fish.

It is true that the sub editing on B&B allows grammar and personal reflections that might not pass a major journal's standards but that is part of the charm of a local fishing mag. It is often as though the writers, who might be posties or car detailers or doctors in another life, but who qualify as fishing writers because they are killer expert fishermen, are having a chat with mates.

What could be a nicer read than that? :)

2BNVS1
08-04-2011, 08:33 AM
I get B&B magazine every issue. as mentioned few times, i like it due to its relevance to SEQ ( and northern NSW). I find that theres not as much bullshit useless information, and the writers are also normal fella's.

Good work B&B

PinHead
09-04-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't regularly buy any particular magazines..some, and not just locally produced ones have the "revered" authors virtually follow the same rendition edition after edition. It goes something like: I went fishing, I caught some fish. Here are the pics of the fish...and nothing else. I must admit with some writers with BnB they go into tides, gear and tackle used etc which is a much better read that the aforementioned articles.

theoldlegend
09-04-2011, 06:40 PM
B&B is the best of the mags for SE Qld fishers, in my opinion because, apart from the local knowledge value in it, it is more likely to have more useful info on techniques than most of the others.

I used to subscribe to lots of fishing magazines. The glossies just tend to be escapist magazines. Good to read when you are on an aeroplane for business reasons and not really wanting to be there but not really containing much useful info. They are also really expensive.

Qld Fishing Monthly is also pretty good and similarly cheap but it's statewide focus reduces its usefulness for SE anglers compared with B&B.

I stopped buying any fishing magazines a year or two ago because there is a tendency for each month's stories to be much the same as those for that month every other year. ie, in September, you will always get plenty of stories about catching flathead and likewise for the other months and the prevailing seasonal fish at the time, whether it be snapper, spotties, bream or whatever. After a few years of subscriptions, I found that I was really only reading one or two of the articles because there was little new in the others for me. The advertisements are good to read, though.

Be on the lookout though for articles by Paul Graveson (the Chief), Brian Webb and Jason Comino. They tend to be pretty good and filled with info rather than just escapism.

I wish you wouldn't do this Charlie.

I had to admit defeat and ask Gwenda what "escapist" and "escapism" meant. She pretended she knew, but really couldn't satisfy my hunger for knowledge, so out came the good old trusty Australian Pocket Oxford Dictionary, and after a good look, I was somewhat the wiser. I think.

I think I can see what you're on about. It's called escapism.

TOL

charleville
09-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I think I can see what you're on about. It's called escapism.

"Escapism" is the noun. "Escapist" is the adjective.

Many times, before I retired, when I was sitting uncomfortably in a suit and tie, with sore feet from tramping around a distant city between one stupid meeting and the next throughout a long day, tired and cramped in an aeroplane which I did not want to be in but had to because my work demanded it two or three times each week :( , I would find relief by daydreaming about walking barefooted in the salt water at the yabbie banks at the eastern end of Whalley Gutter on the broadwater and feeling the gentle lapping of the cool salt water on my tired old tootsies whilst watching a zillion soldier carbs scurry away as I approached them. 8-)

That's escapism.

Then after I retired, I went and did just that. Heaps! :D :D :D

Now I really don't suffer escapism. I have escaped! :D

bam424
10-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Have purchased many mags over the years and have been given yearly supply for fathers day or birthday, which I grately appreciated but have told siblings no more because I find that when you get them most times it is what was caught 2 weeks ago.
As we all know what happened two weeks ago is stale news most times.
I find these days being from the SEQ that 4BC fishing show will give more up to date info. Well done Nugget.
Don't mean to offend anyone just my point of view.

ranga7
10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Have purchased many mags over the years and have been given yearly supply for fathers day or birthday, which I grately appreciated but have told siblings no more because I find that when you get them most times it is what was caught 2 weeks ago.
I find these days being from the SEQ that 4BC fishing show will give more up to date info. Well done Nugget.

Have you read a issue of bnb, fishing reports are only a small part of the mag. theres great advise on all sorts of things including boating, tackle, rigs the list goes on and on. i know i get my $3.50 worth...

bam424
10-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Yes ranga I've read lots of b&b and yes there is a lot of useful info but as others have said same thing next year.

PinHead
10-04-2011, 07:14 PM

is his show still on..radio was on 4bc from listening to the football show yesterday..turned it on this morning on the way to work and nugget was not on there.