PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 30 hp 3 cyl

alleycat
07-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Gday all, was thinking of buying a new 30 hp 3 cyl yamaha this weekend, i already have a 2 cyl cv yamaha and its 5 years old so im going to update, just wondering if anybody could give me an opinion on the 3 cyl, is it that much better?, cheers...

Noelm
07-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I guess yes and no, it is still a 30HP Yamaha when it is all said and done! but as a general rule, more cylinders = smoother motor but still 30HP. Is there anything wrong with your old motor, except the 5 years old? if not, then keep it another 5 or 10 years.

PADDLES
07-04-2011, 11:48 AM
yes 3 cylinder is heaps better than 2, but depending what you do with your boat you mightn't notice it too much.

the 3 cylinder will be heaps smoother at lower revs, so if you do a lot of trolling it may make sense. but if you just run from A to B and there's nothing wrong with your 2 cylinder then i'd just use it till it's a smouldering ruin and just replace it when it's stuffed. if you just want a nice shiny new motor though, then just buy one. be aware though that the price of new conventional 2 strokes seems pretty good at the moment so don't expect to be able to get top dollar for your 2 cylinder the way things are looking.

alleycat
07-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Well i do a lot of hours and just thought it good sense to upgrade, new 30 hp 3 cyl is 3660$..

Noelm
07-04-2011, 12:46 PM
you will never do enough hours to wear it out, but a new motor is always nice, and maybe gives you some peace of mind.

J2DAG83
07-04-2011, 12:47 PM
My old man has the 2 cylinder and i have the 3.... def a big difference in how smoothe it runs as everyone has mentioned and also under load (ie a couple extra people onboard) the 3 cyl performs a bit better.

Hope this helps... btw never had a problem with either of them..

Cheers

Jared

PADDLES
07-04-2011, 12:59 PM
maybe sit tight till towards the end of the year if you can, there's been a lot of rumour about the sale of new conventional 2 strokes being stopped next year. if this happens the prices will plummet as the distributors try to dump stock.

Moffy
07-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Had the 3cyl 30hp yammie for a few years on a 4.4m quinnie (until i sold the boat to go work overseas) - I loved that motor!!! - The noise it made idling back coming off the plane was awesome - like a much bigger motor - It ran a lot lot smoother than my current 2 stroke 25.

If i was going to put a new 30 on a tiller steer boat nowadays I would definitely get one of these even over a 4 stroke. only thing better than the one i had would be if it had trim and tilt and electric start!

Moffy

Boat Hog
07-04-2011, 06:06 PM
I have the 3 clylinder 30hp yammie on a Quintrex 420 Dory. Handles everything I throw at it with ease.

Great motor, no problems the past 5 years except one time coming in from offshore, pusing into a headwind plus current and then the engine splutters a bit then slows down to about half power :-? ... diagnosis (back at the dealer) was water in fuel then in carby.... one cylinder not working .... boy was I glad to have those other two cylinders pushing the boat along!!

Cheers,

Black_Rat
07-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Had a 30CV on a 4.2m Dory and it never let me down :)

If it aint broke then don't fix it ;D

Spend ya 3k on other goodies !

Damo

Sheik
08-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Had the 3cyl 30hp yammie for a few years on a 4.4m quinnie (until i sold the boat to go work overseas) - I loved that motor!!! - The noise it made idling back coming off the plane was awesome - like a much bigger motor - It ran a lot lot smoother than my current 2 stroke 25.

If i was going to put a new 30 on a tiller steer boat nowadays I would definitely get one of these even over a 4 stroke. only thing better than the one i had would be if it had trim and tilt and electric start!

Moffy
I'm with you Moffy. I had one on a 4.2 Stessco and it was a beaut little motor. Yes the lifting can be a problem, especially if you hit as many sandbanks as I do, but for get up and go, and reliability, it was superb. Never owned a 2cyl so can't compare them sorry.
regards Jim

Matt76
08-04-2011, 06:12 AM
You sound like you want one mate, just do it. Life's too short to not have what you want ;)