PDA

View Full Version : bar crusher vs stabicraft

piggin81
06-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Which one??

Chris_2184
06-04-2011, 03:54 PM
yet another pointless thread, someone bring up e-tec vs four stroke.....havn't heard that one in a while!

Camhawk88
06-04-2011, 03:59 PM
yet another pointless thread, someone bring up e-tec vs four stroke.....havn't heard that one in a while!

wrong: http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=174172

;)

Smithy
06-04-2011, 05:11 PM
I've heard it said on my boat a few times now that it goes better than the BCs some of my customers have been in. Could be the way I drive it. I just plod along with a bit of tab and in trim if it is needed to try and minimise the bashing.

It is for sale BTW. $44,990+GST. Listed on here.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=3717

jason p
06-04-2011, 05:29 PM

whilst it may not sound pointless to pggin81, i dont think he will get the answer he's after, unlees you want to hear that they are the best boat you can get from 1 and the over publicized for the other, and vise versa, or the original builder is the best............
both good boats in there own right imo. take them for a test drive your self, and only then you will get an unbiased answer to that question.

jp

finding_time
06-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Which ever has the E-bomb on the back is definately the worst!!:devil:

That will get this thread going!;)

Ian

Ps. Personally i think that if you like fishing in a kettle drum , either will keep you happy!

Chris_2184
06-04-2011, 08:32 PM
whilst it may not sound pointless to pggin81, i dont think he will get the answer he's after, unlees you want to hear that they are the best boat you can get from 1 and the over publicized for the other, and vise versa, or the original builder is the best............
both good boats in there own right imo. take them for a test drive your self, and only then you will get an unbiased answer to that question.

jp

I definetly agree, if you're serious about laying down the $$$ then do some proper research and make your own informed decision on what best suits you, not what Joe Blow reckons ::)

Skusto
06-04-2011, 08:44 PM
I've heard it said on my boat a few times now that it goes better than the BCs some of my customers have been in. Could be the way I drive it. I just plod along with a bit of tab and in trim if it is needed to try and minimise the bashing.

It is for sale BTW. $44,990+GST. Listed on here.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=3717

THATS STARTING TO LOOK A BARGAIN SMITHY

AmrK87
06-04-2011, 08:56 PM

Don't be an ass man, point the guy in the right direction or shut up.

White Pointer
06-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Which one??

G'day,

Two very different types of boats and depending on length and/or operating conditions, very different price structures and standard fitout.

Want to narrow down the comparison a bit?

If you are thinking of purchasing one of these you should tell us a lot more so that owners of the same type can give you relevant information. That will also give owners of other brands the opportunity to weigh in and perhaps broaden your selection range.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

White Pointer

Chris_2184
06-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Don't be an ass man, point the guy in the right direction or shut up.

hahaha thanks for your input, very useful....maybe u should try it too? ;D

IMO I just don't find these 'vs' threads remotely productive in acheiving anything but a clutter of biased opinions

but that's just me....

siegfried
06-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Which one??
Niether,.. Aualine (Kiwicraft)

Skusto
07-04-2011, 06:11 AM
go the bar crusher but i maybe a bit biased

Noelm
07-04-2011, 08:42 AM
might as well add my bit of useless info as well, first off, you need to decide if you want ugly or wet!, now that I have that out of the way, as mentioned, to get a true comparison of which one to buy, write up a list of must haves, then thoroughly inspect both boats to see which one can tick the most boxes without going to expensive custom builds, then test drive them both with as close as possible to the same power you are thinking of. This is the only way to gauge which boat will be right for you, anyone who owns a certain model boat will tell you how good it is, thats why they have it!

Skusto
07-04-2011, 04:42 PM
might as well add my bit of useless info as well, first off, you need to decide if you want ugly or wet!, now that I have that out of the way, as mentioned, to get a true comparison of which one to buy, write up a list of must haves, then thoroughly inspect both boats to see which one can tick the most boxes without going to expensive custom builds, then test drive them both with as close as possible to the same power you are thinking of. This is the only way to gauge which boat will be right for you, anyone who owns a certain model boat will tell you how good it is, thats why they have it!

to true::)

stinky-stabi
07-04-2011, 10:46 PM
stabi..........

INDULGENCE
08-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Probably a little bias as I sold a crusher to buy my Stabi 1850
Honestly they are like chaulk and cheese, do your self a favour and take both for a run and not just in some duck pond. Give them both some work to do.
You will notice in wind over 15kts the Stabi tends to slip when at speed with the wind, this would be my only issue, you just have to learn to drive differently. Mine also is small enough not to suffer the chop issues you read about.
Force the dealer to let you drive and you will notice the difference in the 2 boats.
I along with most Stabi owners will replace with another Stabi

Wally

Noelm
08-04-2011, 11:08 AM
what exactly does "slip when at speed" mean? and from your post, the Barcrusher was not up to your expectations? if so, why not? honest info from owners is worth a whole lot more than rumours and "my mate told me" sort of things.

INDULGENCE
08-04-2011, 11:31 AM
The barcrusher was far more direct when driving across the wind, the Stabi tends to slip sideways. I put this down to the surface area in touch with the water.Its a lot like the old Quinnies when the arse used to beat you down a wave. I now find I dont trim up the Stabi as much as I would the crusher and have to compensate for the direction. This issue only arises above 15kts of wind on the quarter and I travel a bit quick.
Its rather hard to explain
Wally

Noelm
08-04-2011, 11:37 AM
arse beating the nose down a wave sounds more like a broach to me, not too sure about that happening driving across the wind though, but then, maybe I am just reading the whole thing wrong.

piggin81
09-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks fellas spent about 4 hr walking between the two boats in question today at the tinnie and tackle show have organised for a test run in the bar crusher 670c thanks for all your knowledge.

Greg P
09-04-2011, 09:07 PM
I had a look at the ones Northside Marine are selling (Profile???) and nearly fell off the stairs when I saw the price for the 650 - Jeesus wept

Smithy
10-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Don't worry Greg, I was looking at all the platey prices too to see why mine isn't selling. All $76-78K for the Seajays, Nobles, Stabis, Profiles etc. The 2150 Stabi at Leisure which must be the equivalent of mine in the range now only had a 130 Etec on it and they were asking $78K without the toys.

As for handling, mine tracks straight as anything downsea. Point and shoot. I love running it on the quarter downsea, you can push it much harder than straight downsea. Even on the quarter into it is so much better than punching straight a lot of the time.

stinky-stabi
10-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks fellas spent about 4 hr walking between the two boats in question today at the tinnie and tackle show have organised for a test run in the bar crusher 670c thanks for all your knowledge.

did you have a look under the bottom of the two boats?????
the barcrusher has about 5sheets making up the bottom an heaps of cross welds where as the stabi has one(one sheet ) without any welds except the front vee where the one piece meets each other...suited my needs as would last longer in an abusive life..my two bobs worth::)

stabi 659
10-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Mate i went through this a few years back. looked at the 620 and 640 barcrusher and 609 and 659 stabicrafts. Ended up with a 659 for a few reasons.

659 lighter then the old 640C for towing
stabicraft deeper then the barcrusher
felt more comfortable in the stabicraft
full hard top on the stabi
Stabi looked a better built boat
better finish in the stabi from cloth bunks to carpet in the cabin
Better dash layout in the stabicraft
bigger bunks for overnight fishing in the stabicraftSince owning the boat have minimal drama's except for the paint. Would have to be the best looking paint job i have seen on a boat but you only have to sneeze next to it and it scratches. Stabicraft do not warrenty the paint work. This is the only fault i can find. looks like it was not applied properly from the factory.

Due to the weather we get in SA with short sharp chop the stabi wins hands down for the hard top and softer ride. Trim tabs help alot to punch through.

Put a list together of pro's and cons and you will find the best boat of the 2.

Not a sales pitch but I am selling mine as i am moving to Alice Springs for a few years but when I get back will be looking at another stabicraft in a 759SC.

Have fun looking

patrol50
12-04-2011, 12:33 PM
just my 2 bobs worth mate snd have looked hard at both the surtees the bc and the stabi - bc has better ride maybe in chop but the water ballasted surtees probably better than all but surtees and the bc both have a deeper keel so can touch bottom in esturies etc - stabi probably a bit rougher ride ( apologies to smithy ) but shallow draft so ok in shallow esturies - if you mosty into offshore look hard at the surtees and then the bc maybe and if your into estury and the bay and the odd trip outside then look harder at the stabi - go for a ride in each one and make your call
just my thoughts ok
see u rob

Noelm
12-04-2011, 01:46 PM
kind of wondered about the Surtees, my local dealer was making noises about getting them at one time, they dont seem to have a name here in Aus, but are supposed to be the same as the Barcrusher.

stabi 659
13-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Patrol50, I have to disagree and not just because i have a stabicraft.

I have travelled beside a 6.4 Barcrusher in 1-1.5mtr SA chop and did it with ease. Sitting on about 20knts and cruising where as the barcrusher was being thrown around with spray going everywhere. This could have been the drive of the boat, not sure but for an offshore boat you cant look past the enclosed cabin on the stabicraft and the stability.

If I had to choose between a Surtees or Barcrusher then the barcrusher would be the one I would pick. They have a better finish then the Surtees from what I have seen.

Noelm the Surtees is the original barcrusher. They imported them from NZ and sold them under the barcrusher name. Not sure how or why but the Aus Barcrusher is a copy of the Surtees that has had a few changes since they started in Aus. B/C are built in Vic and Surtees still imported.

diabolical
13-04-2011, 01:44 PM
go fora ride in the slop in both, then test a kiwicraft you will not touch the B/C stabi with a stick

finding_time
13-04-2011, 07:17 PM
I'm actually suprised you have narrowed it down to these two boats!! If i was in the market atm i would be looking at the New/Used boats out there atm.. The ones with say a few hundred hrs on the clock and a couple of years old!! This is where the value is to be had and it opens up a whole range of boats to choose from which will be far far better value than buying a new BC or Stabi!! I'm with Greg P the price they want for these new is crazy! There are some good newish Fishers and Riptides for sale atm that will be a far far better purchase in the long run!

What's a 670c worth atm $72,000 ??? So with basic electronics $75 000 +!! There's a 640 fisher maxi at John Crawfords atm with all the bells and whistles and if your set on a platey ( not my thing personally) it will be a far better boat than the 670c will be and in 3 years time will be worth more! They want $82 000 for it but in the present market if you turned up with a unconditional offer of $75 000 you never know your luck! Any way my 2c !

Ian

White Pointer
13-04-2011, 11:08 PM

G'day,

I made a post earlier and said these were very different craft and might meet different needs.

I would be very interested in knowing what your needs are from the two boats that you short listed for consideration. What are your priorities that sway you one way or the other?

Regards,

White Pointer