PDA

View Full Version : Windy long tail

carnster
01-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Paddled out early this morning from nnsw with nico and fordo. The conditions were ok but i knew a storm was coming. My pillie got smashed out wide and after a tussle i could see a nice spanish in the water until the hook gave in and the fish was released with my back gamakatsu gangster- see pic (not happy). Then the storm hit and we copped a hiding from the strong wind and bullet like rain. We started to head back in and i was hoping that once the rain cleared the wind would drop off. Instead it increased big time (28 - 32 knots SE; checked this out later on the weather observations). The conditions very quickly became shocking. As i approached the bar i thought that i had better clear my lines as birds were working everywhere; a big fish would be tough. Then my pillie rig went off and luckily the fish headed up wind; otherwise i would have quickly ended up at Cook Island. The battle was tough; even just staying on my yak. I upped the drag and winched him in green. Upon gaffing him the hook broke (see pic) and the fish took off. Lucky my gaff was tethered to my yak cause i could not hold him without falling off. Dragged him back in and realised he was only just pinned with the gaff by a bit of skin so i grabbed the tail and hoisted him aboard. After strapping everything in i had the long arm stretching task of paddling back in. It was touch and go for a while, but i made it back in against the ridiculously strong head wind, waves and current. All in all a good time but i am spewin that i lost my third big spanish in a week. I took a photo of the conditions later on when the wind had dropped off a bit and there was a break in the swell. Also trolled a gar fish around again for no hits.

frankgrimes
01-04-2011, 01:04 PM
You're a lunatic!! Great effort mate...was looking at seabreeze before, did not look nice!

Mick

nigelr
01-04-2011, 03:03 PM
You're a brave man, carnster! That is a great fish!
I've found the only problem with those gangsters carnster is that even when you close the eyes as tight as posible when ganging, 9 times out of ten the barb can still fit out the eye. (If you get my drift). I got so frustrated with them I switched to Mustad 34007 stainless and open the eyes myself. I like these because, like the gangster, they are a thin gauge hook comparatively speaking.
Not quite as soft as the gangsters either, plus you can get them in larger sizes than 5/0. Pi&&ed me off a bit though, those gangsters are so darn sharp.....but the 34007's are easy to sharpen if you need to.
Cheers and well done!

carnster
01-04-2011, 07:09 PM
nigelr i use the eye of the next hook to open the barb a bit more this seems to work but being so soft the eyes open up. So i generally use vmc but that broke on the longtail (see mouth in pic) so i give up. But those gamakatsu's are so sharp.

deepfried
01-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Are you married ? If so you must be treading a fine line unless she really loves a feed of fish. Nice fish given the conditions. can you let soem come through down here.

carnster
01-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah Scott married with children (3). I am on long service leave till easter and took her out for lunch yesterday plus did some washing and the dishes (butter em up i say). Home by 9:30am this morn, took the good wife to the beach and then trained my boys soccer team from 3:30 till 6pm. Cooked up the fish for dinner. She does complain about being a fisherman's widow. Was out last night from 9 till 10pm catching the trevs. Next week looks pretty dam ordinary. How about you?

deepfried
01-04-2011, 08:42 PM
lots of bonus points in that lot.

I now know why i cop a bit of flak because i dont do half of that.

Hopefully fishing here is about to pick up but i have been outside a few times for a decent number of barries and spotties. Still waiting for the first land based catch of the year though.

matt fraser
01-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Bad luck on the Spanish Carnster, I hope you boat one soon!

Sounds like maddness out there in those conditions well done on the longtail, Geez you are keen!

I look forward to your spanish report in the near future.

Matt

Millsydude
02-04-2011, 09:04 AM
You are an absolute machine Carnster, great fish mate, well deserved fro the effort too.

Edmo
02-04-2011, 09:46 AM
yeah have found those gammies good for the spotties but a bit flimsy on any thing decent, bloody sharp but. Have you tried tru turns?

nathank
02-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Carnster you are a mad man!!! now i've fished heaps of pretty suss conditions on the south coast ledges LBG but paddling around in that mess and boating a decent longtail is something else... what an awsome effort mate.. did ya kiss the ground when ya got back in?

carnster
02-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Yeah Nathan fell to the ground and breathed a sigh of relief. It actually felt pretty good to be back in. If ya like the lbg scene we will have to head south for some action.