PDA

View Full Version : Yalta Craft 555 trim tabs and extras?

four_button_arnie
31-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Hey guys, as some of you know I've just bought a 555HC and I'm wanting to add a few things (its raining, I'm bored).

I want to install some Trim tabs, I was thinking some Lenco's 9x12's/12x12's in the Edge mount style. The reason, the Yalta has the two steps on the back, therefore there is less room to install tabs.

1) Has anyone with a Yalta Craft 555/615 (with rear steps) installed any brand of Trim tabs, if so could you please give me the good oil and please chuck some pics up

2) Has anyone made a custom rocket launcher for the Yalta? Im thinking a stainless version that can go over the bimini and the extended bimini, something like what GAWBY has, I'm just chasing as many ideas as I can.

3) Is there any other mods that people have done that have made their Yalta more enjoyable??

I have a Baitmate bait board on it way, which will be a huge improvement;D

Cheers

Josh

no1chaos
08-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Ok.
As a new member on here I have not yet uploaded my photos of my Odessa 2000, so appologies there, but I can tell you I have made my rocket launcher/ bimni for mine. I made mine as one unit to minimise the intrusion for fishing. Once I upload the photo's you will see. As for the trim tabs I was recomended the 9x12's as I too will have a step on the rear, but thats a later mod I will need to do once I have thetime. I should have some photos up of it next week, appologies once again for not being able to do them now.

four_button_arnie
08-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks mate, when you get a chance that would be great

Josh

Chimo
08-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi Josh

Seafarer suggested and fitted 9" by 9" Lencos on my 6.2 Vagabond and they are plenty big enough. Very reactive at both high and low speeds.

Do you really think you need the 12" version?

Cheers
Chimo

four_button_arnie
08-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Hey Chimo, not really mate, i dont know much about Trim tabs, i was just going on what other people had, but as you say if 9x9 is fine on your 6.2 then it would be more than adequate on the yalta.

Ive been looking at your photos, i just want to find out if can use edge mounts to avoid cutting through the rear steps,

cheers

Josh

Grand_Marlin
08-04-2011, 05:32 PM
G'day Arnie,

We have fitted QL trim tabs to a few Yalta 555's and they work perfectly.

Other suggestions:
LED lighting package
Hydraulic Steering
Twin Batteries with VSR Automatic Battery Charging
Live Bait tanks in rear wells
Wash Down Pump & Hose

Cheers

Pete

Chimo
08-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Josh

Cannot help you about edge mounts.

Not sure about QLs though. Seem to recall a statement by Peter Webster who fitted them to his Quintrex and said he lost a knot even when they were not engaged. Thats a fair bit of extra drag and one assumes he knows wht he is talking about given the number of tests he does.

Bennetts, Lencos and similar shaped tabs that run flat until engages probably dont have that issue from what I can find.

I find lift benefit from my Lencos even when they are fully up possibly due to a longer hull effect?

The funs' in the journey is it not!

Cheers
Chimo

bustastu
08-04-2011, 08:14 PM
I just ordered a set of Lenco 9 x 12's for our Cruise Craft Explorer 685 which is presently being built, $2011 installed. That seemed bloody dear to me......... Have you looked at prices??

Grand_Marlin
08-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Hey Chimo,

Out of curiosity, have you been for a run in a boat with QL's to compare?
I have fitted all three brands multiple times and I have really been impressed by the QL's.

Josh,
Check the prices as well for what you get.
QL's are standard with indicator lights and auto retract, where it is an option on the bennets and lencos.

Cheers

Pete

Chimo
08-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Hi Pete

I'm sure that QLs work, they wouldn't sell them if they didn't.

It would be interesting to follow up with Peter Webster from F & B on his current thinking / test results. A good excuse for another cup of coffee at Runaway Bay!

The loss of the 1 kt that he reported was the point of interest. Maybe thats acceptable esp on a boat with a transom that precludes fitting other types and maybe 1kt is Ok except that its going to add to fuel costs too.

Always keen to travel in other boats but to be worth it one would need to have the instrumentation that F & B has and test before and after the tabs were fitted like F & B did with the QLs.

Cheers
Chimo

four_button_arnie
09-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Hey guys thanks for your input,
I can get some Lenco's from OS for $470, no switch though (extra $150-200)
(I havnt looked into local prices yet, i will before i make any decisions)

I was going to steer away from the QL's as i dont really want to cut away at the boat is all.

And Pete ive got the
LED lighting package
Hydraulic Steering
Twin Batteries (no VSR)
Wash down deck wash
but still yet to plumb the rear tanks (will be down soon)

cheers
Josh

Greg P
09-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Hi Pete

I'm sure that QLs work, they wouldn't sell them if they didn't.

It would be interesting to follow up with Peter Webster from F & B on his current thinking / test results. A good excuse for another cup of coffee at Runaway Bay!

The loss of the 1 kt that he reported was the point of interest. Maybe thats acceptable esp on a boat with a transom that precludes fitting other types and maybe 1kt is Ok except that its going to add to fuel costs too.

Always keen to travel in other boats but to be worth it one would need to have the instrumentation that F & B has and test before and after the tabs were fitted like F & B did with the QLs.

Cheers
Chimo

How exactly do you loose 1 kt by fitting QLs over Bennets or lencos? They sit above the hull in the retracted position and you certainly dont need too use as much tab as the bennet/lenco set up. You loose speed with all tabs once they are deployed. IF you think otherwise you are kidding yourself.

Chimo
09-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Hey Greg, I just read the magazine; I didn't do the tests.

Have a talk to Peter Webster at F & B and ask him if he is kidding himself.

Cheers
Chimo

Greg P
09-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Gave up reading that dribble magazine years ago. Leave it to you next time you have a coffee with him. Ask him about this article - maybe he forgot ;D;D