PDA

View Full Version : Foam filling a 10.2 metre platey

dayoo
31-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Update on build progress of "Alexander" with 25 100mm sheets of foam inserted in the hull.

Cheers
Barry

cormorant
31-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Watching the build thread --nice looking boat. Always feels like a decade watching your own boat get made and that boat looks small until you read it is a 10m. Wow..

Any reason they are using smaller pieces not whole sheets?
Are they held off the bottom hull skin somehow ( couple of ally strips) so water can drain and not be held between them and the hull?
What foam is that as I haven't seen it in black before?

dayoo
31-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Watching the build thread --nice looking boat. Always feels like a decade watching your own boat get made and that boat looks small until you read it is a 10m. Wow..

Any reason they are using smaller pieces not whole sheets?
Are they held off the bottom hull skin somehow ( couple of ally strips) so water can drain and not be held between them and the hull?
What foam is that as I haven't seen it in black before?

The foam is NRP buoyancy foam and foam is cut to fit snugly between the supporting braces. The decking plates are welded so as not to allow penetration of water washed over the hull. A small seepage of water can only enter via the bung plug and easily drains once the bung is removed.

25 sheets of 100mm foam will support more than 6.5 tonnes.

Cheers
Barry

cormorant
31-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks for that. I'll look it up.

Amazing just what foam will support.
We attached ours under the deck and as close to deck level as possible so it was out of the bilge. It lowers your center of gravity a enormouse amount should you end up with a split and lots of water in there . Yours will do the same I guess as it will float up to deck level as you don't want it glued to teh hull like I see some done.

Ours was watertight and even airtight when we first dit it and then we had a leaky bung then a leaky deckplate , then a knob fitting equipment drilled a hole in aside pocket( whoops that was me) . Guess what I am saying is there is nothing that won't get condenstation and moisture in it and always plan to be able to access every last area in a boat . We used to lift the deckplates every couple of years , pull the lockers and check the gaskets and give it a flush and check the foam and make sure all was OK.

Can't wait to see it fitted out .