PDA

View Full Version : Good place for boat carpet??

finga
31-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Where's a good place for boat carpet in Brisbane??

Also what's good to stick it down to aluminium??

Thanks then
Scott :)

Triple
31-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Bunnings sell marine carpet in a few different colours at about $35 a metre x 2m wide and have all the different bonding agents. BCF have it for around $40 a metre.
I would look at using velcro strips around the edges so carpet wont slip but can be easily removed if required.

finga
31-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Bunnings sell marine carpet in a few different colours at about $35 a metre x 2m wide and have all the different bonding agents. I would look at using velcro strips around the edges so carpet wont slip but can be easily removed if required.
Thanks matey.
It has to be glued down as it's going on a 11m X 1.2m gang plank.

Rodpal
31-03-2011, 10:41 AM
hey scott,

mate try bunnings for out door/ marine carpet, it was the same gear and 1/2 the price compared to sundown a few years ago when i did my 420 and yah she is still goin. for me it was contact cement but glueing to marine ply - maybe consider clipping because i sometimes wish i could remove and if in your application the glue doesn't bond - game over or a hard fix, at least with clipping you still have the option

just a thought man

cheers rod

2 weis
31-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Finga
Are Coming To Brisbane To Buy If So When
I May Be Able To Help
Brian

Noelm
31-03-2011, 11:19 AM
forget Bunnings, their carpet will fall to bits in no time, go to a boat place, or Clarke rubber,I can get it at the tight price for you, but i would reckon freight would be a bit to Brissy, probably still work out cheaper, to glue down, use contact adhesive, and apply to the Aluminium only, also use genuine selleys glue, the cheap no name one is cheap, but nowhere near as good.

The-easyrider
31-03-2011, 12:20 PM
I was so tempted to say the floor but I resisted the temptation, but seriously I have work mates going through your part of the world every week if you need some thing droped out just pm me.

finga
31-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks so much fella's.
The carpet will be going to Bayside.
We have to rebuild the brother's gang plank at Ormiston so Brian....we may need to talk :)

Easyrider..classic. :D

wayno60
31-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Carpet..... BCF
Glue .........Kwik grip

GBC
31-03-2011, 06:01 PM
http://www.continentalcarpets.com.au/2.html

Toohey Rd Salisbury.

Book a quote online.

I've got to stop giving away my trade secrets.;)

Stik-ugly
31-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Try PR Floors at Yatala, they have a web sight .prfloors.com, I have bought marine carpet from them at a good price

Grand_Marlin
31-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I know someone...

and he has the glue...

and chocolate bickies ;D

'bout time you came for a visit!

Cheers

Pete

oldboot
31-03-2011, 10:39 PM
If ya realy want something decent that will last, "Bautex" Decord is hard to beat.....this is the hard heavy stuff with the ribs in it.
It is very hard wearing and has very good UV stability.

I know where in QLD distributer is but I havn't baught from them for ages they only sell whole rolls.....

BIAS at Tingalpa have it and the price realy is not too bad for an off the roll 1sies and 2sies deal.

It might be worth giving Jacksons foam and vinyl, at Raceview a call......they are near enough to on the way from warrick, and they are competive and have many goodies....they freight and courier too

I don't know what SMS at newstead are stocking these days......but if you front them and sound "business like" and convince the surly storeman, they might be worth a go.

As far as what to put it down with, good quality sprayable brusahable contact cement... Grand Marlin probaly has a bucket of the stuff.

cheers

BM
31-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Find a trim supplier in the Brisbane area. They will carry automotive trim materials along with marine vinyls and marine carpets. Down here (Vic) I pay about $25/mtr (2mtrs wide) for top quality marine carpet. Been paying that for 5 yrs or more. Also pay about $12/mtr (54inch wide roll) for marine vinyls.

The Bunnings stuff as mentioned is a second rate product and does not have the longevity in the outdoor environment. It will fall apart.

Get your glue from a "Plyboard Distributor". The will stock the 20ltr drums for about $80-100. WAYYYYYYYYY cheaper than buying 4ltr cans from Bunnings etc. The trim supplier will very likely also stock the glue and it will be about the same price.

Glue comes in either brush on or spray on. The spray on is thinned down which does make it easier to brush out.

Apply to both surfaces, let it tack off and then bring together (sorry to disagree with you there Noel!). Trim the edges with a stanley blade.

Cheers

oldboot
31-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Sorry BM.... glue comes as "brush on/ spray on" or "scrape on".

I do very much agree that buying it from a board supplier is a good thing.

Anything with the Selly's brand on it is simply a retail packaged product, and you will generaly pay too much.

I have mostly baught mine thru a laminex distributer because it is convienient....their contact cements are rebadged Bostic.

Sorry but the days of getting good spray glue for $80-$100 per 20 litre have been gone for a while... more like $150 to $170 for the good stuff these days...well last time I baught.

expect to use about 1 litre per square meter sprayed.....brushing will use twice that.

If you use scrape on you will use rediculous amounts, with no better adhesion.

cheers

Stik-ugly
01-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Old boot mentioned Jacksons Foam and Vinyl at Raceview are in the process of closing down and have everything discounted so you may get a deal there, they do stock marine carpet .

BM
01-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Sorry BM.... glue comes as "brush on/ spray on" or "scrape on".

I do very much agree that buying it from a board supplier is a good thing.

Anything with the Selly's brand on it is simply a retail packaged product, and you will generaly pay too much.

I have mostly baught mine thru a laminex distributer because it is convienient....their contact cements are rebadged Bostic.

Sorry but the days of getting good spray glue for $80-$100 per 20 litre have been gone for a while... more like $150 to $170 for the good stuff these days...well last time I baught.

expect to use about 1 litre per square meter sprayed.....brushing will use twice that.

If you use scrape on you will use rediculous amounts, with no better adhesion.

cheers

Things must be different up north Old Boot.

Down south we buy it as spray grade or brush grade. We don't have a scrape on grade.

The last 20ltr drum I bought was maybe 3 months ago and I paid $80 for it. They wanted $100 and I said I usually pay $80 and they decided to sell it to me for $80. At that particular plyboard outlet I get the lowest possible rate which they call cabo rate (cabinet makers). I have been buying from those guys for about 10 yrs.

cheers

oldboot
01-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeh I baught a drum of cheap stuff from my local board shop ( Nightingale brand I think) some time ago.....god awfull stuff, cheap and pissy, hardly any body and I had to use twice as much.

What you pay for in contact cement is the % solids, its easy to make a cheap version, just make it thinner.

For gluing carpet you need plenty of solids.

Quite some time ago we used to buy direct ( factory door) off one of the starch companies (yeh starch....rubber..who knows), they used to make several versions of the same glue, the difference was the % solids and it made quite a difference to the price.

I supose it depends on who prints the lable.....if you can spray it you can brush it.

Back when laminex was laminex.......they had SR202 which was their standard brushable sprayable, and they had SR44 (i think) and that was a higher temp product that would not spray and was typicaly brushed or scraped.

Anyway what ever you buy there is a very big difference in buying it in a retail package under a brand like Selley's and buying a trade product..

Come to think of it I recon you may have a hard time buying a sprayable in retail quantities.

cheers

BM
01-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Definitely not cheap grade that I get. I have been stung once before with the cheap stuff. Been using this stuff for many yrs on my boats and customers boats. Never have adhesion issues.

Just rang my supplier. 20ltr drum $89.13 (cabo rate). Dunno what they'd charge Joe Average off the street.

Cheers