PDA

View Full Version : How Much???

indy
30-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Gday

I have a 6m sportfish plate alloy job and the paint is starting to look a bit worse for wear, just wondering how much it would cost me to get the paint removed, and maybe keep it like that in the raw state or get it repainted.

I have heard that sand blasting can remove quiet alot of the alloy and better off soda blasting, is this correct?

Does anyone on here do this for a living and can give a quote? Or has anyone been there and done that?

Thanks for your responses in advance
Pete...

White Pointer
30-03-2011, 09:45 PM
G'day,

As an owner of a plate boat I suggest:

1. Once painted - always painted

2. You could try soda cleaning but I don't know how it might affect marine plate. Never sand or grit blast marine plate.

3. Shop around for suggestions and quotes from panel beaters about stripping the corrosion, filling and repainting in 2-pak. If we have a dry winter the panel beaters might be out of work from insurance work and quote lower prices.

Regards,

White Pointer

Rodpal
30-03-2011, 10:42 PM
hey indy, i can't totally answer your question man but my experience with similar may have a little to be aware of, its not the alloy eating away with abrasive blasting you have to watch regardless of the medium its the friction of the abrasion that causes the parant material to heat up and streatch between stiffeners that causes it to buckle, thats the kicker .. albeit a little it still buckles then whos ass do you kick other then yourself for the next 10 years

i think steel or fibraglass you would probably get away with but alloy rrrr man .. have a good talk to a good painter and repair/ repaint or chem strip , sand and sharkide (i think thats how you spell it) .. maybe

by the way it was an fj bonnet and yah this dude guarinteed baking soda was the ducks bolts and way to go .. wrong wrong wrong i wish i would have just spent the next 100 years wet and drying the old girl

anyway just a thought and hope this helps

cheers rod

indy
01-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Bump Bump Bump

DALEPRICE
01-04-2011, 09:55 PM
gday indy,
had a mate go down the same road as you, Performance Plate boats just sanded/grinded the hull back for him and he left the cab and inside the
boat still painted as it wasnt to bad. They did a top job and when they ground it back did it in a pattern that looks good. Best move he ever made really, so long as you done mind not having a fancy paint job i guess.

cheers dale

reel-em-in
18-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Had the same problem with my 5.0 m sportfish. Remove paint and lots of body filler using scraper, paint stripper and sandpaper. Took around three days to complete. Doesn't look too bad left the cockpit and cabin painted.

John_R
19-04-2011, 05:44 AM
Pete - I would suggest you get it sanded back and repainted. A new paint job should last another 15 years and the paint today is far better than it was when yours was done. There is probably a fair bit of prep you can do yourself to reduce costs.

I have Paul Burt's number if you want to call him. He was the guy that used to do the Nobles' paint jobs. Have not heard from him for a couple of years though.

He also did the repair on my old Quintrex from that time we were at the Fraser Expo and I got a ding in the bow. Did an awesome job.

Otherwise maybe call Bluewater and ask them?? Or OMM? Any current plate builder would have access to a painter.

Regards

John