PDA

View Full Version : Late 1770 Report-

No Fear
30-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Sorry all,

Bit late on the report as this was from a trip a couple of weekends ago. Since that time I have forgotton the minor details so hopefully the photos tell the story.

Put the boat in the water mid afternoon Friday and flew to the spot at 25 knots. Weather was perfect although we knew there was some rough stuff coming the next day looking at the forecast. As usual we were late to the spot and missed our customary afternoon session which was disappointing. Put a couple of reefies in the esky for the evening except for a killer snapper which has been haunting us for the last two trips and therefore had to be released.

Saturday we drifted around the ocean catching some quality reefies including 2 nice blue spot, a huge jobfish (I think thats what it is) and the standard hussar and parrot. We tried to swim the bigger blue spot but unfortunately he would come to and the only swimming he did was in the esky. 3 nice pearlies over 600mm were once again captured and saved by the ban but after March they are in trouble!!We lost a few good fish during the day to bust offs as usual but it wasnt until late arvo that we bagged our first red. We also pulled some of the better red throat I have caught and the esky was starting to look good but it was reds I wanted! All we could score was a few undersized and a few bustups so unfortunatley there wasnt much red in the esky to take home which means I have to go back and catch some more!!!
A new PE tackle fly did the damage on the red and the blue spots dont mind the flies either. Bought a couple of the standard sharks to the surface but overall fishing was slow, maybe due to the low pressure?? Missing the Friday arvo session didnt help and Saturday night blew up so we hid in between the Islands. Thought it might of tamed in the morning as wanted to chase some trout but it didnt so we headed back at 15 knots, the closer we got to Round tree the better it got so after the 12 mile is was good running. Pictures tell the story and if I remember anything else I will throw it in....

No Fear
30-03-2011, 08:02 AM
A couple more pics - sorry for the multiple pics of the blue spot but I reckon they are a ripper fish. It was caught by the bloke whos best fish was previously a 40cm snapper hence he was pretty impressed by the situation.....

fishandchips
30-03-2011, 08:23 AM
nice fish mate well done,i think it looks like a gold band snapper not a job fish.Luke

four_button_arnie
30-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Nice catch and great report, you guys ended up doing pretty good, even if ya didnt hit the arvo session!

Josh

Spectre
30-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Well done mate ...a v nice haul of reefies there.
Bugga about the knobby ...a good reason to go bak I reckon !!!!!!!
Not that u need a reason....;)

That big noah would have stretched somebodys arms. ;D
Did u lose many fish to sharks...???

Cheers
Phil

Spot82
30-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Some quality fish there! How was the current with the moon being so close?

Can't complain with that haul, thanks for the pics and report

Anthony

jarhead
30-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Nice mixed feed. We were up there last wed/thurs and were pestered by noahs for a while on both days.

Wal

two dogs
30-03-2011, 04:21 PM
looks like a decent sized noah to bring to the surface, some fine angling indeed. I like the lay out of your boat from what i can see, what is it?

No Fear
30-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Thanks fishandchips - anyone else want to confirm what fish that is? edibility??

Spectre - didnt lose any to Sharks that we knew of - the sharks were just eating the bait off the hook......we may have lost a couple of smaller hussar or parrot but no reds or bigger fish came up with half a tail missing. Certainly, te last two trips the noahs have been around but I am hoping this is due to the warmer weather and they will disappear once the cooler months arrive. Anyone comment on this?

Anthony - I spoke to Sean and he said you were up the same weekend.Did you go as Saturday was pretty nasty. The current wasnt too bad but worse than normal- we were getting down with 12ounces and drifting the same way luckily at around 1knot so it was certainly fishable.

Two dogs - the boat is an older yalta craft (pics attached-old pic prior to putting the live bait tank in) and it has had a fair bit of work done to it including the pod which makes a massive difference during travel and at rest, particularly for fishing room as it fishes 4 easily. Unfortunately I dont have a pic of the deck but it has two boat boxes with eskys and storage under the captain and passenger seat, and below the boat boxes there are also 80 litre fuel tanks as the 150 2 stroke sucks the gas! Normally that big esky slides up the middle between the boat boxes so we have the entire deck free.
I will actually try and get a pic and start another thread in the boating section as I would be interested to compare other peoples ideas.

Thanks all for the feedback - looking forward to winter already, apparently the reds chew a bit better then!

lightsout76
31-03-2011, 02:11 AM
That is a Gold band snapper and is also known as a Goldband jobby (Jobfish):-) and they're pretty good on the chew from memory. Thanks for the report love fishin up that way wish i could get up there more often.

b j p
31-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Yep definately Jobfish. Caught a bunch last time on the Swains. They chew fine.

XtremeBoony
31-03-2011, 10:07 PM
thanks for the report. Some cracking blue maori's u got there, i would be stoked just landing one :) A very nice feed of mixed reefies, well done

cheers from boony