PDA

View Full Version : Spearo help needed in getting parrotfish

bondy99
29-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi fellow Spearos,

I need help from anyone who can get me some true parrotfish (not venus tuskfish),

I used to spearfish in my prime of youth but 52 and my lungs are not as elastic as they have been.

My boss at uni wants to get some parrotfish frames (with heads and skeleton attached), he is not interested in the flesh (I know I like parrotfish to chew on), was looking at possibly 10.

Dont ask me why he wants it for or what type of study, I have no idea as to reason why, maybe its just a comparison study on bone growth to other species of fish. He is an Academic and not a practical person.

I reside in Brisbane so I'm looking fpr a spearo that covers say Mooloolaba down to Tweed Heads or within the area.

If anyone can help me out on this quest It would be appreciated.

If you do get them can you store them on ice please and I'll collect them asap.

Please send me a pm whenever possible.

Cheers, Peter

devocean
31-03-2011, 07:42 PM
What type of parrot do yuo want. We have heaps of surf and blunt heads up here in Bowen as well the odd big napolean. We usually don't shoot em as they as pretty poor on the chew.

bondy99
01-04-2011, 07:18 AM
G'day Devocean.

I don't know what type of parrot as long as its a true parrot.

Probably is the surf and blunt head type.

I can ask what type he needs.

Driving up to Bowen to collect them might be interesting though. Maybe might have to get some dry ice and send them down in a foam box.

If you can get these, let me know how much it will cost to send them down.

Cheers, Peter

BigE
01-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Gee i wonder which fish will be next on the list to have increased restrictions placed on them!

BigE

bondy99
02-04-2011, 09:09 PM
BigE,

Relax mate, you're reading too much into this and this has nothing to do with conservation or other crap or fisheries restriction bullshit. It's looking at skeletons, bones etc

Chill out and relax and have another beer

BigE
02-04-2011, 09:12 PM
It all starts somewhere.......... remember the call for mackral frames ........ yeah that went well didn't.
BigE

bondy99
03-04-2011, 07:24 AM
BigE, Move on from this .....I don't know if you're an antogonist or just like to make an issue out of something (Scaremonger or stirmonger) that has no bearing on what you are trying to convey to the fishing community.

bondy99
04-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Is there no spearos capable of doing this?

bondy99
06-04-2011, 09:06 PM
ok, I'll give you $3.00 for each one . only 6 is needed.

waterbouy
06-04-2011, 09:20 PM
The one's I believe you are refering to are generally called Surf Parrot. There are the smaller orange and blue females and the larger Multi coloured (purple, green bue and pink) males. Highly rated on my dinner table. Sounds like the fisho's dont get em often and while the spearo's can, they cotton onto been shot and steer clear. Esp places like the sunny coast, you won't get near em unless you dive a more remote area. And with the weather the way it is... well self explanitry.

bondy99
07-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Waterbouy,

Yep, you're on the mark.

I dont expect anyone to go out when conditions are bad, I use to be a spearo myself for a number of years and I go out when conditions are favourable. Since my lungs are not elastic as they use to be (yeah, I don't smoke either). I find it difficult to freedive these days.

Might have to broaden the request range but I'm limited to how far I can drive to collect specimens. my supervisor is broke so the money is coming out of my pocket and I don't get reimbursed.

Cheers

Longole
07-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Why not just ask the Adreno crew? They would be more than happy to organise

Badone
08-04-2011, 08:17 AM
PM sent Bondy.

bondy99
08-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Why not just ask the Adreno crew? They would be more than happy to organise

G'day Longole,

Who's the Adreno Crew? :)

Never heard of them

Longole
08-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Adrenaline spearfishing http://www.spearfishing.com.au/ or try the sunshine coast lads http://sunshinecoastskindivers.webs.com/ (http://sunshinecoastskindivers.webs.com/)

bondy99
08-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Thanks Longole.

bondy99
08-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks Badone, just sent you a pm, let me know how things go and where you want to catch up so to speak.

Cheers

ShaneC
08-04-2011, 10:00 PM
I hope they are licenced to sell fish..... Big risk for $18

Longole
08-04-2011, 10:06 PM
a fair point but I don't think they are that silly, probably happily donate frames but definately no money or goods should go the other way!

devocean
09-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Still trying to get out had six hundred mm of rain last week and now forty knot winds

bondy99
09-04-2011, 08:47 AM

ShaneC

These are covered by a Research Permit.

Lucky 1
13-04-2011, 10:43 PM
I am pretty sure True Parrot can be caught on line using crabs as bait. They will not take any other bait, and are a daytime only species as they wrap themselves up in their little muccous cocoon at night.

bondy99
14-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Lucky 1,

G'day mate, Venus task fish , also referred to by recreational anglers as parrot (not true parrot) also spin a mucous coocoon. Not often you can catch a true parrot on mono or braid but relatively easily by speargun

I've only seen venus tusk fish caught on fishing line (mono or braid) on pillies or squid.

Badone
14-04-2011, 05:25 PM
6 frames in the esky Bondy. Give me a call.

bondy99
14-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks Badone,

Much appreciated.

Jono_SS
18-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Gee i wonder which fish will be next on the list to have increased restrictions placed on them!

BigE

Hi BigE.

any change to the regs for parrot fish will be a pure coincidence!

It all starts somewhere.......... remember the call for mackral frames ........ yeah that went well didn't.
BigE

One day you will have to give me the details of this comment you've made on a number of occasions, but never backed up with facts.

Cheers.

Jono.