PDA

View Full Version : Water quality in Moreton Bay

Amokk
28-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Hey all, I haven't been able to go fishing for a good 6 months now. I was just wondering how the water quality was and if there is any problem in eating the fish in the bay after all the rain/floods.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Ben

Dantren
28-03-2011, 06:55 AM
I was windsurfing at redclife yesterday. There was no smell to the water at all - just a bit browner than normal. I've also eaten fish & prawns from the bay from the last fortnight - no third eye yet......
Obviously the risk increases as you fish closer to the river...

Angla
28-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Last Wednesday I went to Tangalooma and at high tide I found the water to be green with a tinge of brown. There were plenty of trawlers scouring the bay in the middle. It's your call.

I have still relented in taking fish, not for the lack of a little effort.

Cheers
Chris

TheRealAndy
28-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Latest test results in the bay have been ok. The recent water colour is most likely due to the big tides (big high, low low = high current).

manboat
28-03-2011, 09:17 AM
We got some spotties out around Moreton and ate them that night....I guess it's okay around that area?

Slider
28-03-2011, 01:01 PM
The green to brown water colour indicates the presence of 'anaulus australis' - a harmless to humans algal bloom which was expected following the flood and the nutrients that washed into the bay. Same situation has occurred pretty well all along the Qld coastline - certainly south of Rockhampton and Hervey Bay is particularly vulnerable. This algae isn't entirely harmless to fish however as it reduces the oxygen content of the water with some species affected more than others. Algal cells attach to air bubbles in the mornings and rise to the surface where they photosynthesise and divide. Late afternoon the cells detach from the air bubble and fall to the ocean floor and attach to sand grains.
I notice that probably 99% (or more) of people do not recognise the altered water colour or must be of the belief that it is 'fresh'.

Noosa to Sandy Cape is notorious for this algae following a fresh between September and April. As the fresh begins to clear and the water colour appears to be getting close to normal (blue), it doesn't quite get there and remains greenish but without lustre and is 'milky'. If high air temps and sunny days coincide at this point and persist over several days, then it will often turn brown and without lustre. I guess if you're looking at the surf every day of your life, you tend to notice these things.

I saw last summer (just prior to christmas) that the entirety of Moreton Bay was algaed with anaulus australis along with the eastern side of Moreton Island in the surf zone. We went to Moreton to escape the bloom north of Noosa - was very disappointing to find it was no better there.
I do notice in the surf reports on tv however, that the Goldy seems to have lovely blue surf atm when was algaed prior to christmas.

Axl
28-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Ive caught plenty of crabs around Green island and a few feeds of Whiting form the Rouse channel since the floods with no issues.

The last time I was out on the Bay the water looked good.

Dantren
28-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Slider - Would you eat crabs & prawns from the western bay?

Slider
28-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Unless there are factors involved other than anaulus australis Dantren then there is no reason why not. Anaulus australis is harmless to humans.

Lyngbya (fireweed) is another algae that regularly blooms in Moreton Bay and can cause skin and respiratory problems through contact. But I don't believe is an issue when consuming seafood that has had contact and I haven't heard of any outbreaks this year. Think that lyngbya blooms generally occur in periods of low rainfall and high temperatures.

trueblue
28-03-2011, 07:09 PM
i'm still concerned about sewerage effluents washing straight down some creeks into the river?

Has that stopped yet?

PinHead
28-03-2011, 07:18 PM
The green to brown water colour indicates the presence of 'anaulus australis' - a harmless to humans algal bloom which was expected following the flood and the nutrients that washed into the bay. Same situation has occurred pretty well all along the Qld coastline - certainly south of Rockhampton and Hervey Bay is particularly vulnerable. This algae isn't entirely harmless to fish however as it reduces the oxygen content of the water with some species affected more than others. Algal cells attach to air bubbles in the mornings and rise to the surface where they photosynthesise and divide. Late afternoon the cells detach from the air bubble and fall to the ocean floor and attach to sand grains.
I notice that probably 99% (or more) of people do not recognise the altered water colour or must be of the belief that it is 'fresh'.

Noosa to Sandy Cape is notorious for this algae following a fresh between September and April. As the fresh begins to clear and the water colour appears to be getting close to normal (blue), it doesn't quite get there and remains greenish but without lustre and is 'milky'. If high air temps and sunny days coincide at this point and persist over several days, then it will often turn brown and without lustre. I guess if you're looking at the surf every day of your life, you tend to notice these things.

I saw last summer (just prior to christmas) that the entirety of Moreton Bay was algaed with anaulus australis along with the eastern side of Moreton Island in the surf zone. We went to Moreton to escape the bloom north of Noosa - was very disappointing to find it was no better there.
I do notice in the surf reports on tv however, that the Goldy seems to have lovely blue surf atm when was algaed prior to christmas.

must be a hell of a lot of anus australis around cos the bloody river is still caramel colour all the way upstream..and I just thought it was dirt and crap in it...just goes to show how dumb some of us are.

Dantren
28-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know specifically what the council signs are warning of?

TheRealAndy
28-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Does anyone know specifically what the council signs are warning of?

council signs are warning for Enterococci. Its basically a bacteria found in the guts of warm blooded animals. Its used as an indicator for the presence of fecal matter.

Its a farce basically, because it does not mean there is any pathogens in the water. The water can test fine and still have pathogens in it, likewise the enterococci can be detected and there is no pathogens in the water.

Links to the test results are here:
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/community-support/emergency-management/flooding/Resident-flood-information/Health-and-safety/index.htm

rando
05-04-2011, 05:39 PM
An interesting doco on last night, talking about the sudden increase in the spread of Toxic algae,all over the world.Particularly Europe & GB, the red tide,!!!! also comes in green!!apparently:D