PDA

View Full Version : how to get water out of jerry cans

gros21
27-03-2011, 07:57 PM
ok i have several jerry cans arround 2 of which were left open and hence have water in them.

also my boat tank has been in teh rain in boat for a few months.

so how to i get these clean and dry?

also were can i get new jerry can caps as ive lost mine for the samll red plastic jerry cans, teh ones were u can flip teh funnel into the lid.

also how long would u leave fuel for the boat? i bought the boat 2 montsh ago throw or keep it?

i have no back yard so i only whipper snip and 1 tank in a whipper snipper lasts 2-3 months :(

my cars a dieseil and my partners is a 2010 ford fiestiva

Richo1
27-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Drain out the jerry cans, pour some in some metho 0.5L approx , shake them around then pour then out. Any remaining metho/fuel /water mixture will then just evaporate. The metho will mix with both fuel and water.
As for the outboard fuel, depends how fussy you are - with my old 2stroke 20hp I'd just use it, maybe adding abit of fresh fuel into the tank. If its a new or near new outboard especially larger hourse power i'd get some new fuel and dispose of the old stuff.

Regards,
Richo

trueblue
27-03-2011, 08:08 PM
jerry cans - empty, and then chuck in 1 cup of metho

shake around, leave for an hour, shake around and dump

will dry totally free of water

four_button_arnie
27-03-2011, 08:26 PM
if they are the older metal type might be worth checking if there are now 'rust flakes' inside them, i had a couple and they ended up full of rust...not what you want clogging up your filter....
josh

kizza1
27-03-2011, 09:59 PM
throw a lit match in and that should get rid of the water;D

or

wrap a rag on the end of a coat hanger and swirl that insode the can to soak up the water.

as for fuel age. as long as its less than 6 months old and you top it up with more than 10 % fresh fuel it will be fine

Steeler
27-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I was thinking of undoing the lid and tipping them upside down but that would be smart alec streak in me my wife is constantly reminding me of.

Seriously though do the metho ( do not drink it ) and yep check for rusty bits.

oldboot
28-03-2011, 09:45 AM
I've found the metho treatment very effective, but I always wash the remaining metho out with fresh fuel....and this works for any fuel tank.

to be properly and reliably effective you must have at least 10 times the amount of metho than the amount of water, and for the fuel rinse at least 10 times the amount of fuel as remaining metho

with these proportions the water will be almost immediately absorbed in the metho and like wise the metho in the fuel..a good shake in the case of a can, of in the case of a fixed fuel tank a good rough drive arround the block.

Oh don't forget to use fresh metho...metho absorbs water just sitting in the bottle with the lid off or the bottle half full.

As far as the life of fuel......there have been several threads on this matter......unleaded fuel it quoted as having a 60 to 90 day maximum tank life depending on who you are quoting...at 6 months expect to have trouble starting or the motor being off tune.

Premixed two stroke has a very much shorter tank life, I am hearing reports of and experienced starting problems occuring after as little as 3 weeks, so the fuel will be below spec earlier than that.

Personlay I will not run fuel more than 2 weeks old in my boat....I'll put fresh in the boat and burn the stale fuel in either the car or the mowers.

cheers

peterbo3
28-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Try here for replacement caps.
http://www.gaspares.com.au/sceptor.html

gros21
28-03-2011, 04:22 PM
perfect guys.

the engine in a 92 merc 40hp. ill dump this lot then maybee just mix a bit at a time.

i havea few steel jerry cans teh 20l jobs all new from the father in law care of teh mines.

then all the ones i buy are plastic but i would have 7-10 of them all with fuel in them some are premo with racing 2stroke for my rc car, some with boat 2stroke, some with mower 2stroke some with sthill 2 stroke 4 teh chainsaw, stuff for the pocket bike and some just fuel for my old mower.

every time i get a new toy i buy a new jerry can as taht way i cna trust teh fuel :P

Steeler
31-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Try here for replacement caps.
http://www.gaspares.com.au/sceptor.html

Does this mob sell to the public ?.

peterbo3
31-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Does this mob sell to the public ?. They are wholesalers but there are links to dealers plus a 1300 #.

dallas90
31-03-2011, 08:15 PM
No One help this grub, gros21. have a look at this thread.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=173863&highlight=stolen+lures
he should be shot. No one likes a thief ladd ;)