PDA

View Full Version : wahoo on popper....

speedylures
27-03-2011, 12:53 PM
HI everyone. Fishing on Tuesday afternoon ( trolling) targeting wahoo in particular.
Normally when you troll at 12 - 14 knots with 9 1/2 skirts the only thing that will grab something that big and fast are wahoo. So when the reel starts to scream you get excited............ our reels were screaming but once you picked up the rod and the lack of grunt you realize its not a wahoo. So after winding in mac tunas you start to get a bit disappointed.
It's wahoo time of year so a change of tactics was required, so this time when we hooked up a mate ran to the front of the boat and started to throw large poppers.
First cast and 3 turns on the reel a wahoo launched from below and struck the lure. It went and 6 feet into the air then it was on. So on 30lb spin gear and 20 min later we had ourselves a 19 kg wahoo..................

Happy Days......;D

catfish55
27-03-2011, 02:25 PM
wow top stuff what area are you fishin
pa att

carnster
27-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Awesome sight i bet. Congrats. I have had a spanish jump over the boat in slow motion with my popper in its mouth; will never forget it.

speedylures
27-03-2011, 11:52 PM
on the GC catfish. Cant give away the location.

TREVELLY
28-03-2011, 05:39 AM
Good solid fish - and I see you are sticking with blue.

Yes it is disappointing to have a nice fast lure become only a bait tuna - wouldn't mind if they were yellowfin ;D

I had out a blue and a green trolled lure and got 6 hits on blue nothing on green. There were some slimies about so that could account for it.

Why did you think a spin surface lure would attract a wahoo when hooked to a bait tuna?

B-MACK
28-03-2011, 08:19 AM
That is sick!!! I would have loved to see that.

BLOOEY
28-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Very cool! Looks like a R2S rover, i bought one myself for throwing around mac tuna schools for spaniards. Have not tried it yet but it looks as though i should! thanks. Ben

Midnight
28-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Well done on the Wahoo on the Stickbait, and a cracking Wahoo at that!

Good onya for thinking outside the square to get him on!

Cheers,
Myles

speedylures
28-03-2011, 02:38 PM
who knows what fish think and why they respond to one method of fishing and not the other. If i knew that i'd be a millionaire. LOL
But i do know that when one fish is hooked it does excite other fish aswell....

Edmo
28-03-2011, 08:21 PM
nice one, all we got last trip was 23 mac tuna and 2 whalers which cost me my favorite halcos which were rigged with owners. sad face

speedylures
28-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Hey Eddy, 23 macs, shit you wouldve had sore arms

Edmo
30-03-2011, 04:22 PM
:evil3: sore arms indeed. even though we were tag teaming the hook ups a couple were foul hooked and three got sharked. we ended up moving several times because we were double hooked up every pass over you know where but double mac tuna are just no fun, then after getting nothing else where came back an hour later to the same story

Holy_Mackerel
31-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Geeze Jase! Nice work. Good to see the boat on the water.
Good work champ