PDA

View Full Version : Tried something new - no bait today.

wags on the water
27-03-2011, 10:53 AM
We set off early from MBTBC (and I wasn't late) and the plan for the day was trolling for spanos and wahoo then to the patch to jig some kingies on my new jigging outfit.

On the way to the SPB we stopped to throw some slugs in the Rous. A heap of bait but no macs. We got to the bar and decided the Amity channel was the go as we were heading towards Point Lookout. We made a quick call to VMR letting them know we were about to cross the SPB then apart from a little swell we navigated through and in minutes we were east of the bar and notified VMR we were through.

We trolled a pattern of shallow and deep divers around the rocks near Point Lookout fo what seemed to be a couple of hours for nothing. So we headed off to the patch trying a few spots I've driven over in the past but not dropped a line in. There were fish down there but not hungry for coloured lead. The same scenario at the patch. After another hour or so getting a workout on the jigging gear my new outfit was a winner in my books, but yet to perform under load. I've caught kingies before on SP's so the next first was to drop a Dayoo Hotlips jighead over the side and hang on.... A few minutes later and I was on before it hit the bottom. A nice little AJ hit the surface ready for some pics and then returned it.

We made the call for home, but it should have been an hour earlier. Apart from a very bumpy ride back to the bar then to the ramp, it was good to get out and go fishing with some friends. A lot of laughs and great company.

Thanks Tim and Caroline and thanks to Barry for the HL jigheads.

Cheers,
Wags

66210 66211 66212

jtpython
27-03-2011, 11:42 AM
What you caught a fish ? Yah lol
Nice tripmate
JT

wags on the water
27-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Photo evidence too mate.

jarhead
27-03-2011, 12:17 PM
That jighead is a happy looking little character.

Wal

Black_Rat
27-03-2011, 12:20 PM
We made the call for home, but it should have been an hour earlier. Apart from a very bumpy ride back to the bar then to the ramp,

Should have taken the Flamin Riptide :-X ;D ::)

wags on the water
27-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Should have taken the Flamin Riptide :-X ;D ::)

We'd probably still be out there...:-X

Scalem
27-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Good result Wags congrats. Barry turns out a great product. In a few weeks when the Kingies are back in big schools, HLs will be in demand.;)

Scalem

Timfishin4fun
27-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Good to get out heh Wags.

Pity not too many fish but there was atleast one into the boat.

Timbo

hookinin
27-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Must be some bad looking heads in that boat, it seems they have to be taken out of shot.
Cheers Gaven

wags on the water
27-03-2011, 02:52 PM
That jighead is a happy looking little character.

Wal
Jarhead - there's something about them that screams "eat me" ;D

Good result Wags congrats. Barry turns out a great product. In a few weeks when the Kingies are back in big schools, HLs will be in demand.;)

Scalem

Scalem - I had a chat with Barry a week or so ago and was impressed with his workmanship. I'm looking forward to using the other smaller jigheads in Gladstone next Wednesday and a few other waterways on my weekly trip to Dysart. Your new plastic venture look the goods too.

Good to get out heh Wags.

Pity not too many fish but there was atleast one into the boat.

Timbo

Tim - The trip with you the other week inspired me to try something different...and I stuck with it for more than 2 minutes. Probably not trying the right areas.

Must be some bad looking heads in that boat, it seems they have to be taken out of shot.
Cheers Gaven

Gaven, Gaven, Gaven.......you should've been there.;) Timi clearly is no photographer. :-X

All in all it was good to be in the boat again. It was my first trip in my boat this year and my first trip through the SPB for near on 10 months.

indy
27-03-2011, 04:46 PM
No bait wags geez that would be tough, don't think you will ever catch me doing that, i give you credit for giving that a go and probably that would be the only way i would ever learn to use plastics if i was to do exactly what you did as i get bored pretty easily if i am not catching fish.

Must have been nice to be on the water again after that long off it

cheers pete...

wags on the water
27-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Pete, it has been too long off the water. It was my call from the start to tow some hardbodies and skirts for the faster fish and then drop some jigs down for Kingies and Ambos. The idea of dropping the HL jighead down was the last call for the day. I wasn't worried that we didn't boat any of the target species earlier on in the day. I have been highly strung at work and needed to get out and relax. It was just what the doctor ordered....except for the weather turning late in the day.

Cheers,
Wags

dayoo
27-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Pete, it has been too long off the water. It was my call from the start to tow some hardbodies and skirts for the faster fish and then drop some jigs down for Kingies and Ambos. The idea of dropping the HL jighead down was the last call for the day. I wasn't worried that we didn't boat any of the target species earlier on in the day. I have been highly strung at work and needed to get out and relax. It was just what the doctor ordered....except for the weather turning late in the day.

Cheers,
Wags

Nice one Wags. You would have had a ball if you started with the Hot Lips. I'll back my hot lips jigs any day to out fish knife jigs. Use the 3oz one for pelagics off southern Moreton and the 1 to 2oz for snapper from next Friday;D

Cheers
Barry

MEGA'bite
27-03-2011, 07:14 PM
wags isnt that a PE fly glow jighead rig

dayoo
27-03-2011, 07:43 PM

I make the super glow jigheads and sell the 1oz and 1.5oz minnow style heads to PE Tackle who add the bling to the tail and sell them under the PE Tackle brand.

I make the Hot Lips jigs with krystal flash tails from 1/8oz up to 3oz and they are sold through Tackleworld, Sandgate. The larger Minnow 3 and 4oz are only available direct from me on request.

Cheers
Barry

wags on the water
27-03-2011, 08:13 PM

Mate I see you didn't read the title....;) No bait required. The rig I used was one of Barry's 1oz Hot Lips Jighead.

Barry - I have too many knife jigs at the moment so I'll have to lose them first before I restock with the 2-3 ouncers.

Cheers,
Wags