PDA

View Full Version : trailer wheel type?

trueblue
25-03-2011, 05:46 PM
can anyone tell me what stud pattern wheel this is?

5 holes on a pitch circle of 107.5mm

63mm centres between studs, 7/16" studs

Is this a HT Holden stud pattern?

These are 13" rims, and I need to identify the stud pattern to see if I can get 15" rims with the same stud pattern to fit the same hubs.

cheers

Mick

2 weis
25-03-2011, 06:50 PM
take rim to any tyre outlet and they identify it and tell you of available sizes:)

John_R
25-03-2011, 06:56 PM
I just googled HT stud pattern and had the answer right there. You do have a HT pattern.

trueblue
25-03-2011, 07:27 PM
ok, so is there a 15" rim available with the same stud pattern?

John_R
25-03-2011, 07:47 PM
You can google that yourself. Or call a tyre/wheel outlet.

trueblue
25-03-2011, 09:18 PM
I asked Bob Janes an they told me none available

I am hoping that this is that they don't have any, not that it is impossible to get them...

Mad-One
26-03-2011, 04:51 AM
best off changing your hubs over to ford then you'll have no drama getting bigger wheels

Phil

Feral
26-03-2011, 06:10 AM
HT is also torana pattern, there would be after market 15" rims available, (I can remember running 15's on my torana) but no OEM ones.

As a matter of interest why do you want bigger wheels? To me it just means you have to back your trailer further in to the water to get the boat wet.

pig75
26-03-2011, 06:31 AM
Volvo have 15" standard. Same pattern

trueblue
26-03-2011, 08:54 AM
As a matter of interest why do you want bigger wheels? To me it just means you have to back your trailer further in to the water to get the boat wet.

There is a very wide selection of light truck tyres available in 15" - whereas the old 13" has very few options.

I need a weird combination of tyre requirements

500+ kg rating per tyre
very stiff side wall
hard compound (limited grip)

Find me that in a 13" tyre and I'll be a very happy man..........

I need to reverse my trailer around a 90 degree bend to get the boat in the shed. If my tyres do not have the above 'qualities' the tyre grips too much, tries to bend the axle, and nearly rips the tyre off the rim.

My last tyres were great when pumped to 55 lbs, but when I started to regularly drive the boat up to mooloolaba, I started blowing tyres (tread belting letting go)

This apparently has become a problem with the higher pressure and the tyre getting hot on a long drive.

So I need tyres that will not require more than 40 lbs, but still remain stiff, and not have too much grip - which I can't find in either a 13" or a 14" wheel

wrxhoon
26-03-2011, 02:18 PM
You have early Holden hubs/whells mate , very common on old trailers . Holdens pre HT used them as well as Toranas and 4 cylinder Commies, like someone else said heaps of volvos had them too. Ford Taurus had them, remember the ugly ones? I'm sure there are more but I can't think at the moment.
Carefull some cars have 110 mm and they may fit but are not right, you need 4 1/4" PCD or 108 mm.
If I was you I would change the hubs to Ford for 2 reasons:
1) Easy to find alloy wheels rated to carry a lot of weight.
2) Ford have 1/2 " studs not the pissy 7/16" that old Holden use.

13" tyres are becoming very rare these days and very expensive .
14" are still easy to find , make sure you use light truck tyres , NOT car tyres .
15" is now the normal size for utes and small vans , so very easy to find what you want and you can get them in low profile if you like .

I have 15" rims on my trailer so I can get big brakes under them .

trueblue
26-03-2011, 04:07 PM
well if anyone wants to buy a pair of near new 13" light truck tryres, see the for sale section. (brand new but have been fitted and trialled a little bit.)

$55 for each trye - bargain for a new tyre buyer

trueblue
26-03-2011, 04:09 PM
[quote=wrxhoon;1266581]
13" tyres are becoming very rare these days and very expensive .
14" are still easy to find , make sure you use light truck tyres , NOT car tyres .
15" is now the normal size for utes and small vans , so very easy to find what you want and you can get them in low profile if you like .

quote]

precisely what i have found...

robothefisho
26-03-2011, 06:44 PM
If you were blowing LT tyres at 55 psi its because the tyres were already cracked and stuffed, probably due to being run at 32 psi which most people think is the correct pressure. If you want to stuff a LT tyre run it with a heavy load ie most boat trailers and run it with low pressure, ie anything less then 50 Psi on a tyre rated to 65Psi. Almost ripping the tyre off the rim sounds to me like your running low pressure.

Remember a tyres load rating is what the tyre can carry at maximum pressure!

tunaticer
26-03-2011, 10:06 PM
I am assuming you have a tandem trailer due to the tyres wanting to peel off the rim when cornering quickly. If it is a tandem axle and it has a rocker between the spring sets you can place a small bottle jack between the axle and the chassis on the rear axle and push that axle down to take the majority of the load, the front axle will not have as much load on it and will permit much easier turning in tight areas. This is only suitable for manouvreing the trailer into the shed etc, not for road use. We use this technique in the workshop occasionally to get a large trailer or truck into position.
Changing to 15" rims will not make the turning easier, might save the tyres some.

mitchdemeanor
26-03-2011, 11:52 PM
I've had it up to here with holdens after today, glad i stick with ford parts 8-)

cormorant
27-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Just throw some sand on the turning area. We used to do that with the triaxel and made a huge difference and stopped huge blace marks and twisting axels

Dual wheel hiaces ran 13 so go to a shop that serves the local couriers not a chain store. Nankang I have used and not had a failure. Yes they are getting harder to find and not cheap but nit sure I'd be going 15's unless travelling at 130-140 km/h plus.

If it isn't a rocker set up then make sure hitch is right heigh otherwise one axle takes too much weight and generate shot tyres.

Alloys with big airspaces will take away a lot more heat if it is hub / braking heat

Rig must be well on the limits of bearing and axel weight if you are getting heat from tyres or springs and axles are allowing sway to stress sidewalls.

Can be a lot of work with guards and clearances .

Feral
27-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Strewth sounds like a pain Trueblue.
The volvo rims sound the go. (Just dont tell ya mates where the rims came from :-X )