PDA

View Full Version : DI, First!

Mad one.
25-03-2011, 02:13 PM
G’day team Ausfish,

Did another day trip over the wide bay bar a last week; I would think this would be at least my 15th trip out there. Every trip expectations are high that we would be lucky enough to find a stray Red but each trip we find good looking ground, which has potential for holding the Red fish, however we seem to luck out and only come across undersized reds. On this particular outing I was not holding much hope for finding that stray that had been teasing me for so long. My expectations for this trip were that we could ruffle up a few tasty coral reef fin fish for a good feed. Crossed the bar in good conditions and set a course for some ground about 45 k’s out which I had some success on in the past. Spent a few hours glued to the sounder searching for that “live ground” we seem to find most action on. Well after some time I stumbled across what looked the goods.

Well I set up the drift line to run straight through the ground I just found, by the time I left the wheel and turned around to drop my line I see my brother already sending his bait to the bottom as with my other mate not far behind, buy the time I was ready to start sending my offering down both their baits get smashed the moment they hit the bottom. My mate misses the hook up however my bro is hooked up solid! So I thought I wont send my bait down as he may need a gaff man, so I offer him words of support as we start calling fish species, from the start we knew it was a solid fish and my call was a dirty old yellow sweetlip, my mate calls cod!, well as soon as we spotted the fish down deep we were both stunned, no mistaking what it was! We all were speechless as this thing popped the surface (in one piece)

We slapped our first legal red for DI! What a first fish she went 13kg and my brother was only using 12kg mono and cant Believe I will say this but he was using a PE Hussar fly!

After the excitement of finally doing it and high fives all round, a few photos we set the drift up again but as most know its hard to find the school again, but at this stage I was happy to head home JOB DONE! Anyway we did put a good box of coral reef fin fish together, even had a school of black kings turn up at the back of the boat hooked lots and decided on only taking one for the plate. Great trip and now the red fever has turned terminal!

After crossing the bar heading for the ramp we got pulled up by fisheries, I thought it was good to see them out and about following up on the snapper closure and the like.
6618666188 there is a feathery friend down there somewhere (PE Hussar);D ;D ;D
Cheers SK.

four_button_arnie
25-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Nice RED:o Well done

jtpython
25-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Nice one buddy for there got to be happy with that effort
JT

TREVELLY
25-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Done good - persistence paid off :thumbsup:

vertico
25-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Good stuff mate we will be giving the DI area a good work over soon!

Spot82
25-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Well done on a cracker Red!!! It took me 20 trips to find some reds off DI, it is hard work but you will soon figure our where to look and what to look for :)

Sounds like you had a great day, thanks for the report and pics :)

Anthony

mick smith 1168
25-03-2011, 08:35 PM
well done good reds jealous !!

No Fear
25-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Great work- DI is on my hit list for red hunting soon enough! Great catch and the weather looks terrible!!!

outwide1
26-03-2011, 07:34 AM
Welldone mate,it only gets more addictive from here though.
Sean keep driving north mate theres no reds at di lol

XtremeBoony
26-03-2011, 08:21 AM
thanks for the report and pics sk, red emp on the menu tonight ay :) lol. Absolute cracker mate, well done.

cheers from boony

Mad one.
26-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys,

still feels like I am still in my first year apprenticeship for catching them from that area. Some people make it look and sound to easy;) ;) ;)

Cheers, SK

Spot82
26-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Sean keep driving north mate theres no reds at di lol

Now now Mick no need to be telling them lies :P Team PE tackle will definitely be the underdogs at Rainbow comp against all you seasoned DI Fishos :P

fishandchips
30-03-2011, 02:04 PM
nice fish mate,i have done 5 or 6 trips up there still no reds ,hope i dont have to do another 15 before i get one, well done. Luke

uglyfish
30-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Nice fish mate, conditions look frigging awesome!

Mad one.
30-03-2011, 05:51 PM
nice fish mate,i have done 5 or 6 trips up there still no reds ,hope i dont have to do another 15 before i get one, well done. Luke

Fishandchis were you there on Friday a few weeks ago?, thought I may have heard you guys log on?:)

fishandchips
31-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Fishandchis were you there on Friday a few weeks ago?, thought I may have heard you guys log on?:)
yea that was us, ended up with a nice box of wrasse,tuskies,cod and hussar but no reds big day done about 130 mile how did you go? Luke