PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Darwin

Chris1984
25-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Well after a split with the missus and now a job offer operating a digger in the mines out of Darwin i'm going to take the offer up and move on. I have never been to Darwin (used to live in the gulf, presently around Bribie) and was just chasing some info on the fishing scene and also the town in general, places to see, places not to see ect ect................i will be staying at a caravan park until i find my feet so if anyone knows of any that would be great. I have a 4.0 tinny aswell but unsure if its worth taking????????
Cheers in advance, Chris

BrandonH
25-03-2011, 08:56 AM
There was a post not long ago asking about land based fishing spots around Darwin. you might find some info from it useful ;)

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=173726&highlight=darwin

Black_Rat
25-03-2011, 09:59 AM
I'll have to keep an eye on this thread ;) i'm up there after Easter for work for 6 months ;D I know a another workmate has been up there for 18 months so he should have an idea by now so i'll let you know.

He did mention getting a chopper charter into the more remote billabongs but sounded expensive :-?

ejackulate
25-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Gday Chris i have been up here for a few years now mate and love it. Your 4m will be fine for heaps of fishing in all the big rivers and creeks billabongs and sneaky trips out to close reefs on a good day.I have 4.2 and use it everywhere.Just buy the north australian fish finder book and that will give you heaps of ideas and spots to try.If you have a 4wd the spots to see in the dry season are endless waterfalls and swimming holes at kadadu and litchfield are unreal once they get all the crocs out from the wet season!!!I stayed at a caravan park called shady glen about 7k outta darwin city it was fine but there is heaps of em mate.This runoff is crazy too big barra being caught evrywhere at the moment;D Rob

Chris1984
25-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks for info fellas, sounds like paradise compared to down here...

mick smith 1168
25-03-2011, 12:35 PM
i have an old school mate i keep in contacted with. he has a bisness up their and i try get up their ass much as i can .
the fishing is great and the people are frendly i whent up their too after my first wife lol fished fog bay and croker island the gold snapper fight bloody hard .
so have fun
cheers mick

yobbo112
26-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Jealous of the fact your in for some good fishing and the fact you are heading up there to work in the mines on an excavator is it?
I'll be up there for a week at the end of april to hang out with my brother and basically fish for the whole week.
Sorry to derail the thread, but how do you go about getting excavator work in the mines especially around darwin and w.a where the big machines and money is? I'm used to long ass hours, working hard and being in remote location away from family and friends doesnt faze me much.
Just looking for a way to work hard make some cash while im young and set myself up for the future basically.

Chris1984
27-03-2011, 01:02 PM
hey mate, it's not what you know it's who you know basically. I'm a diesel fitter by trade and spent 6 years in and around Mount Isa. Done my trade with Komatsu and got into operating when i finished it. I met lots of people high up in the ranks and eventually those people move on aswell. I got my job in darwin through an old boss of mine from the Isa. 8-)

Squidlet
03-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Well after a split with the missus and now a job offer operating a digger in the mines out of Darwin i'm going to take the offer up and move on. I have never been to Darwin (used to live in the gulf, presently around Bribie) and was just chasing some info on the fishing scene and also the town in general, places to see, places not to see ect ect................i will be staying at a caravan park until i find my feet so if anyone knows of any that would be great. I have a 4.0 tinny aswell but unsure if its worth taking????????
Cheers in advance, Chris

A nice carravan park is at Howard spring's about 30min outside of darwin,nice quiet not far from the Howard springs tavern,small little town away from town but close enough.
For fishing go to the boys at Fishing outdoor world cavenagh st darwin,the most helpful shop i find around darwin,fishing takes a little bit to work out but piss n perserverance and you can wear down a mountain.
Enjoy the the NT, i do very relaxed place.

Cheer's Squid.
Ps-Go to bunnings and get a product called Thermo Cell to defend yourself against the bloody Mozie's and it does work!

Jarrah Jack
06-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Dan5 is a good bloke to talk to about the Darwin area. Very knowlegable and helpful. Ask him about getting into the Finnis.;)