PDA

View Full Version : Cox Craft- Rum Runner

Fletty
23-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Hi fellas

i'm after some information on the older rum runners from cox craft, like 1990-ish

just wondering what reputation these boats have, eg- how they handle in the open ocean, in chop, and general hull traits.

im looking at a few atm, they look very sea worthy but i have never been in one so just wanted a few opinions

I would be using it for open ocean use mainly.

Cheers

Matt

shubeej
24-03-2011, 09:15 PM
hi a mate of mine used to have a rum runner with 115 hp suzuki in the mid to late 80's & i had a haines 17L 115 hp suzuki . they were both top boats & handled the chop & swells with ease good for fishing out of.we mainly did esturary fishing with the occasional outsider through the seaway we never had any issues in either boats.
cheers
shubeej

Angla
24-03-2011, 11:07 PM
I had one of the models you speak of. About 198? vintage from what I could estimate with a 1978 115 Evinrude on the back.

A very well handling boat with lots of buoyancy and great high sides. They don't have a large deck space but are generous in the cabin. They also roll a lot when stationary.
I found myself in some pretty stupid spots with more than 25 knotts and still found a safe path home. The angle of the bow and probably the depth of the bow seemed to be able to split a wave rather than getting thrown in the air. It did tend to broach when in a following sea but more speed seemed to fix that.
I had mine out at Hutchies and Flinders a few times and the Barwon Banks twice as well as a trip to 1770 but found the fuel tank limited my travel to a larger degree.
The new canopy was a absolute corker and kept all very dry

A great learner boat that held it's value

Cheers
Chris

Fletty
27-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for feed back fellas, much appreciated,

most seem pretty positive which is good!

one im looking at only has a yam 85 on the back.. most others have much higher horse power.. should I be concerned about this?

any other info would be great also. ie; fuel economy, launching difficulties, towing,

cheers

flett

TheRealAndy
27-03-2011, 05:59 PM
I have 2 mates with them. Great boats. Very wet in a big sea but not scary boats. A good set of clears would solve this problem. I reckon they are ok at rest. Not as stable as some boats but still pretty good.

Steeler
27-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Like most manufacturers they are pretty quick to knock up a knock off of a Haines and these along with the BFG made a pretty fair effort against the 17L.

White Pointer
28-03-2011, 09:15 PM
G'day,

They have been around for years and have a good reputation as an affordable and durable boat and a pretty good sea boat.

I think the engine is very under done for what you have in mind.

Regards,

White Pointer

Fletty
31-03-2011, 08:15 PM
hi white pointer

the owner claims it will cruise at 32 knots? that sounds quick enough for me.

Do you think i will have to work the engine to hard to get that sort of speed?

any other input would be very helpful in helping me make my decision.

Cheers

Flett

Fletty
31-03-2011, 08:28 PM
hi white pointer

the owner claims it will cruise at 32 knots? that sounds quick enough for me.

Do you think i will have to work the engine to hard to get that sort of speed?

any other input would be very helpful in helping me make my decision.

Cheers

Flett

PinHead
31-03-2011, 08:45 PM
I used to have one with a 140hp Suzuki on it..it porpoised constantly..other than that is was ok.