PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a gas bottle for BBQ

quacka
21-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi,

I just got a portable BBQ Gasmate G2727 from my Credit card reward points so I had no idea what it looks like. I thought it would use them little gas bottle but when it arrived in the post. I found out it uses them big propane 4.5KG or 9KG gas bottle.

Does anyone know if its just safe just to place the gas bottle on its side or do i need to mount it?

We do have ciggies on the boat, will this be safe or would it be too dangerous?

GBC
21-03-2011, 08:07 PM
They travel fine on their side, but make sure it's standing upright when you're using it or it'll spit as liquefied gas gets into the line.

danryan75
21-03-2011, 08:12 PM
might be better off looking for a small 1 kg like in the below link for added portability! i have found you will usually need an adapter as the small cylenders generally have smaller connections.

quacka
21-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks all. I will probably go to BFC to see what they have.

White Pointer
21-03-2011, 09:35 PM
G'day,

I've been there and done that and you can't go there.

You may not install an LPG appliance on your boat without a gas certificate. To get a gas certificate the whole system has to be hard - no flexible hoses.

If the plumbing is hard is has to be installed under floor so it can't get crushed, tripped over, punctured, etc.

The whole system will have to be inspected and tested and that means tearing up the floor and that's all too hard.

Don't do it.

If you want to run LPG on a boat you should buy an appliance that takes the small 0.5kg bottles that plug directly into the valve.

If you reckon this is overkill - you are probably right and I agree with you. But the rules are made for people who don't maintain anything. If an LPG bottle goes off it's probably too late to reach for the fire extinguisher or the life jackets.

Regards,

White Pointer

FishHunter
22-03-2011, 04:46 AM
The thought of a lpg cylinder on a boat especially with smokers around gives me the horrors, but it sure will make a pretty fountain if it goes up.

Remember its heavier than air so it will fill your boat up and not disperse if there is a leak.

GBC
22-03-2011, 05:41 AM
Just about every cruiser you see in the marina with a duckboard mounted bbq will have a gas bottle in the lazarette.
They don't have gas certificates and don't need them.
How many of those blow up?

lethal098
22-03-2011, 09:01 AM
I think there is a big different to a fixed Gas appliance and a removable gas appliance, Just like being at home you can have a bbq with no certification but have a gas oven and it needs to be certified. Dont see it being a problem, just make sure you put a plug in the bottle when not in use, dont leave the bbq connected, as said gas will fall to the lowest part of the boat, a stray cig but and you could be blown sky high.

Cheers Lee

ozscott
22-03-2011, 09:18 AM
I cant believe people still chug back the fags on boats. My breathers are in the transom area and if I use a small portable LP (the little butane ones) I (reluctantly) use it on the foredeck. I know people have magmas and such swinging out on their aft bow rails, but not for me.

Cheers

cormorant
22-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Guys , White Pointer is right. Just like a caravan etc you need a proper vented gas locker and it certified if anything is fixed.

http://www.dme.qld.gov.au/zone_files/petroleum_pdf/brochure_marine.pdf

Dumping a poorly designed clip on cylinder gas stove in a cupboard on a boat is not a good idea.

All those boats at the marina will have certified gas storage lockers etc. A lot of marinas down my way must see gas certificate in date before allowing a boat there. There has been deaths from suffocation and fires over the years in boats and caravans.

Some portable burners use the butane and I am not sure it has a smell like LPG does nor if gas detectors pick it up as well.??

If it isn't designed for the marine environment it shouldn't be on the boat and that goes for gas cylinders as well.

We still use a meth stove on one boat as they are simple ( not as hot as gas) and fire is easily doused by water and no explosions.

If you are thinking of having any gas on a boat , speak with a marine gasfitter , get a gas bilge alarm ( should be standard I would hope) and there are now a lot cheaper and do it properly or find another solution.

Being careful and using common sense only works until someone unfamiliar comes along.

I've seen blokes refueling offshore with jerry cans and having a BBQ going - just waiting for the Darwin award but some blokes get away with being stupid as long as they live.

Here is a recent one I remember from last year

http://www.news.com.au/national/barbecue-explosion-destroys-2m-yacht-in-middle-harbour/story-e6frfkvr-1225876002609

PinHead
22-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Guys , White Pointer is right. Just like a caravan etc you need a proper vented gas locker and it certified if anything is fixed.

http://www.dme.qld.gov.au/zone_files/petroleum_pdf/brochure_marine.pdf

Dumping a poorly designed clip on cylinder gas stove in a cupboard on a boat is not a good idea.

All those boats at the marina will have certified gas storage lockers etc. A lot of marinas down my way must see gas certificate in date before allowing a boat there. There has been deaths from suffocation and fires over the years in boats and caravans.

Some portable burners use the butane and I am not sure it has a smell like LPG does nor if gas detectors pick it up as well.??

If it isn't designed for the marine environment it shouldn't be on the boat and that goes for gas cylinders as well.

We still use a meth stove on one boat as they are simple ( not as hot as gas) and fire is easily doused by water and no explosions.

If you are thinking of having any gas on a boat , speak with a marine gasfitter , get a gas bilge alarm ( should be standard I would hope) and there are now a lot cheaper and do it properly or find another solution.

Being careful and using common sense only works until someone unfamiliar comes along.

I've seen blokes refueling offshore with jerry cans and having a BBQ going - just waiting for the Darwin award but some blokes get away with being stupid as long as they live.

Here is a recent one I remember from last year

http://www.news.com.au/national/barbecue-explosion-destroys-2m-yacht-in-middle-harbour/story-e6frfkvr-1225876002609

and you cannot see a meth flame if it runs out of the container..knew a bloke where it burned out nearly all of his cabin.

PinHead
22-03-2011, 04:41 PM
stick it outside..had a stainless barbie and stainless gas bottle mounted on the back of the boat i had a few years back.