PDA

View Full Version : Oil warning

Waraba Mick
20-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Hi all, over the weekend I did a trip from Tin Can Bay to Wathumba Creek in my Wahoo which is powered by a 60hp, 2 stroke, oil injected Yamaha 2007 model.
On the trip up all went well, spent the night in the creek, next morning I removed the cowl to top up the oil tank, it took approximately 850 ml all ok.
On the return trip we left Wathumba and got as far a Coongal Creek and the my Yamaha multi-function gauge indicated I was getting low on oil. Turned the motor off, removed the cowl and checked the level of the oil and found it was still full (had been running for about 50 minutes). Had a bit of a look around, could not see anything obvious and kept going towards Tin Can Bay. The low oil light kept blinking all the way to Tin Can Bay.
I have since topped the oil back up (another 850ml) but the gauge still blinks. The motor does not appear to have any other problems and is still performing as it always does.
Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem with their Yamaha/multi-function gauge?

thylacene
20-03-2011, 09:38 PM
From what you have written, I would check the sensor in the oil tank first, rather than blame the gauge. Also check that there is nothing obstructing or pinching any hoses.

Another possibility is that the wire to the sensor has come off and is shorting.

Not familiar with the engine, just applying basic problem solving skills.

Hope this helps

Thy

Angla
20-03-2011, 11:34 PM
It is obviously not an oil usage issue because you used oil on the return journey. I would be looking for a loose wire or even a disconnected wire on a sensor just as Thylacene has suggested. Checking the hoses could not hurt but is less likely as a fault.

Cheers
Chris

Waraba Mick
21-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Hi all, i had a win with the problem this morning, all sorted and thanks to those who replied:)

Mick.

Crocodile
21-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Hello Waraba Mick,
Good that it is fixed.
I am very interested to hear what the problem was because I have the same motor.
I am always amazed at how little oil my motor uses.
Thanks

Waraba Mick
22-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Crocodile, on the top of your oil bottle is a rubber plug out of that runs 4 wires, 1 is black it goes down to one of the 6 mm bolts that secures the oil bottle. On my motor the terminal had snapped and it was not noticeable until i unscrewed the bolt. New terminal on black wire did the trick.

Mick.