PDA

View Full Version : redclawing - NPD

trueblue
20-03-2011, 10:28 AM
where should I go to try red claw chasing in the North Pine Dam?

is it a case of chucking pots in anywhere?

or near timber, or weeds, or certain areas?

would appreciate a few pointers in the right direction if anyone can help

cheers

Mick

ssab1
20-03-2011, 03:49 PM
pretty much anywhere atm

Rainbowrunner
21-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Have a look at the videos on my webpage

http://www.rainbowrunner.ausfish.com.au/

BaysideDrew
21-03-2011, 02:28 PM
I was at NPD on Sunday for my first ever attempt at catching a few red claw. 2 hours and I had 2 dozen. I was using rockmelon for bait and found I did better placing the pots close to structure such as submerged trees. The kayak came in handy for NPD.

Feral
23-03-2011, 08:03 PM
From the boat, look for trees in about 10 to 12 foot of water. Sorry, not done any from the bank for quite a while.

trueblue
24-03-2011, 06:29 PM
do you need a permit to kayak on NPD?

rayken1938
24-03-2011, 07:59 PM
do you need a permit to kayak on NPD?
Yes you do .
Have a look at the PRFMA website for full details.
Cheers
Ray

BaysideDrew
25-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Yes you do .
Have a look at the PRFMA website for full details.
Cheers
Ray

Which I'm confused, by the way, as to why we have pay 2 permit fees to fish from a kayak at NPD. The info provided by both permit schemes, 1 to fish and the other to use the kayak, states that the funds go to the fish restocking program. Does anyone know why they can justify slugging a fishing kayaker double re-stocking fees? Something smells a bit fishy...

rayken1938
25-03-2011, 01:00 PM
The boating access fee allows you do use any type of craft as long as it does not have an internal combustion motor fitted.
Dont know where you get the idea where you have to have two boating access permits for a kakak.
Cheers
Ray

BaysideDrew
25-03-2011, 03:06 PM
The confusion comes from the need to have a fishing permit for freshwater impoundments and specific to North Pine Dam you can only use a kayak or any other non-powered watercraft with a permit for that too. Proceeds of both seem to fund fish stocking programs although the boating permit gives you a key to access a gated launch area which a kayak doesn't need anyway.

I'm someone who abides by the law and the permits I need but I have seen plenty of people kayaking on NPD without a permit because they didn't know they needed one and I wondered what penalties would apply. I have searched the WWW in every way possible and cannot find any record of past infringements or potential fines involved in not having the boating permit for NPD. I can't find any state or local laws which would apply. The only thing I can find is the SEQwater QBWSA rules for access to use of lands and water. It clearly states that a permit is required but lists no penalty except the right for the QBWSA to ask you to remove the vessel and leave the area.

I'm interested in anyone's first-hand knowledge on the issue to clear this up.

lethal098
25-03-2011, 03:27 PM
You do not need a permit to fish NPD, you do need a Permit for any boating activities.
A freshwater fishing permit covers other dams such as somerset and Wivenhoe and numerous others but NPD is different.

Cheers Lee

Rainbowrunner
25-03-2011, 06:07 PM
hey guys,
to fish North Pine dam you need a SIPS permit as it is now under the scheme,
No permit required to catch redclaw.
Signs say no boating swimming or dogs etc but ive seen all.
PRFMA operates only in the upper arm of the North Pine river above the dam wall.