PDA

View Full Version : Broke my mates virginity

thelump
20-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Spanish Mackeral virginity that is;D . Went out along the back of the beach off Moreton trolling dead baits for Macks. Serious lack of bait/action on all my usual haunt so decided to just cruise along the 10m line looking for bait. The first and only bait ball we came across had what looked to be bigger fish chewing through it. Looked great on the sounder. Anyway I told my mate look at this we will hook up here and right on cue his line screams off and we're on. After a short but tense tussle I gaffed his first ever Spanish (see attrociuos gaff shot). One happy camper. Went bck over the bait quite a few times for no result.
A bit further down the beach we go to pull in and bail out when i hook up. Long story short it was around a 5ft shark thjat got me cranky so I put the weight on him and snapped my brand new rod. Lesson learnt never high stick a graphite composite rod with a 5ft shark on the other end. Lucky it was a cheap one!

indy
20-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Your mates smile says it all well done

honda900
20-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Nice Jase, you are fast becoming the spaniard king..

Regards
Honda

littlemac
20-03-2011, 09:20 AM
nice work jason,

at least the gaffing got him in the boat, bummer about the rod

cheers

brett

B U Z Z I N
20-03-2011, 09:21 AM
i lost my viriginity sat. at hutchies ;D
and pb snapper 84cm was hard watching that swim away :'( . bring on the 1st april

carnster
20-03-2011, 11:04 AM
A terrible gaff shot is far better than none at all. Last time my mate was fighting a 15kg spanish i went for an early gaff shot (had to learn out the boat and reach out with one hand on the end of the 2m gaff) and my mate said "no not yet it's too early". I lunged for it anyway and got the middle of the fish just after the hook came out. I had to hang on big time but my buddy was pretty glad to see it in the boat. I have seen many fish lost after being told to wait and have gaffed a few just after the hook comes out. An early gaff shot can end badly also, but my luck has been good so far.