PDA

View Full Version : Thailand trip

stevel3
19-03-2011, 05:56 PM
here are a couple of the boats we saw on our recent trip to Thailand. We only had 6 days, 3 in Phuket and 3 in Bangkok. The photos below are of the boat we went on to see Phi Phi island and one of the old style boats they use. I have more piccies and can put them up once the wife down loads them off her phone.
This was the first overseas holiday we have been on and loved it, we are already planning our next one. The boat had 3 x 225 Honda 4's on it and the skipper was awsome, he managed to put it in places I would have had trouble putting mine. It was a great trip and I can highly recommend Thailand, especially Phuket.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6158/p1010670t.jpg

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6421/p1010667sz.jpgQUOTE

South Aussie
21-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Awesome. No doubt the fuel bill is equally as spectacular. I am just planning a trip to Thailand (first timer too), wife wants the relaxation and so do I, but part of my relaxation is fishing. So, what's the low-down, is there any recreational fishing over there, and what is it like? On the assumption that they do have a recreational fishing industry, what is the charter situation like? Are you allowed to fish off the coast or isnt it worth it? Can you get any tackle over there at all?
Did you get any clues on what you might do next time if you didn't get to it this time.
Cheers,

Basstones
21-03-2011, 03:07 PM
I didn't get a chance to head out on any charters when I was over there in Feb last year, but there were plenty of offer. Wherever they had the usual collection of brochures for tourist activities there was usually a couple for fishing trips.

This was around the Krabi/Railay/Phi Phi area, but i'm fairly sure we saw them in other places like Khao Lak, but by that point I wasn't paying as much attention.

I've heard some mixed reports on the quality/quantity of the catch, but I wouldn't have any hesitation doing it if only for the experience. From memory it worked out at around ~$50AUD, but as I didn't do it I can't remember the specifics of the figure.

stevel3
21-03-2011, 06:30 PM
I asked a couple of locals about the fishing and they said it is pretty ordinary, too many people fishing and not enough fish to go around. We found the seafood over there not as nice/tasty as what we have here, plus it is expensive. One night Sue wanted to splurge out and get a Lobster and I had 3 huge prawns, it cost us $80.00 AUD which is a lot for over there, most meals cost us around $25 with a few drinks. We really enjoyed the speed boat day trip out to Phi Phi island, thats where the movie the beach was partly filmed. We will be going back next year and will definately do that day trip again. I agree with Basstones and reckon the experience alone would be worth the money. We did see some charter boats in the main Marina as we were leaving for Phi Phi island. We organised everything thru Flight centre at Loganholme before we left. They used Destination Asia for all of our day trips, they were great and made things very easy with no hassles. We also learnt that it is better to change your money in Thailand rather than at the airports, as they charge an extra $10 from memory. When you use a currency exchange (and they are everywhere overthere) they dont charge a fee and their rate is better. The duty free is also cheaper for booze in Thailand than in the Brisbane airport. If there is anything you want/need to know just ask, cheers Steve.

Marlin_Mike
21-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Steve

Wife and I are heading over to Phuket on May 15 for 10 nights. looking forward to it.,

Mike

South Aussie
21-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Hey guys, keep this one going, I think it has some real potential. There must be some out there who have accessed the fishing potential of Thailand?????

stevel3
22-03-2011, 05:54 PM
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2182/p1010802s.jpg

these boats are everywhere, some of them even have turbo charged motors on them which is good as it quiets them down a bit, they dont like mufflers over there.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5852/p1010793j.jpg

this is the bridge over the river Kwai, there is an excellent museam nearby, I really enjoyed this day trip.

http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/804/20110307202052.jpg

these are some of the big catfish they have at Fantasea, sort of a theme park without the rides in Phuket, they do a good stage show at night, again well worth seeing.

I am sure you will enjoy your holiday Mike, the worst part is the waiting. We are already planing our next trip which wont be until March next year. We are going to go to Singapore for a few days first,then either China or Japan for a week, then spend at least week in Phuket, Steve.

halcoholic
27-03-2011, 05:04 PM
I just booked a 8 night holiday in phuket for my honeymoon. We are satying at karon beach looks like a nice place how much did the cruise set you back. Any tips you can give me as this is my first overseas trip. Thanks dan

Lancair
27-03-2011, 07:37 PM
I recently went to Thailand, specifically with some fishing in mind beofre I left. I had planned on taking rods in a tube and hiring a motorbike to check out the fishing. Before I went I got onto an expat site and asked some questions. Aussies living there replied dont bother. Leave your rods at home and go out on a charter if youre keen. So I did, the charter was a bit dissapointing, we caught numerous skipjack or mac tuna but so small youd put em back over here, the Thai crew kept EVERYTIHNG caught. When we stopped for lunch we had a bottom bach with 80lb handlines, even little reef fish brought aboard the crew kept. I asked the crew about land based fishing and they agreed its not really worth it from our point of view, only little fish to catch, nothing exciting to catch, expect for maybe the bridge between Phuket and the mainland. Apparently some big fish do get caught there. I went on a Thai style fishing boat which did the job but nothing flash in an old timber boat like these ones. I made enquiries about game fishing and there are boats but they're expensive and dont always run. The best option I found would be to organise a group and go on a live aboard trip to the Andamon Islands, between Thailand and India. What an awesome untouched fishery that is, the Indian govt only opened the region to tourists a few yrs ago and game fishing is nearly all live abord from Thailand. The islands themselves (some 300) have few tourist facilities and are only accesible by air from within India.

Lancair

South Aussie
28-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks Lancair, appreciate the info. Sounds like it is not worth incorporating fishing as part of a holiday - might be worth considering if fishing the live aboard idea was the only reason for going...... It seems that there is much merit in responsible fishery management.

SA

Dignity
28-03-2011, 07:17 PM
We also learnt that it is better to change your money in Thailand rather than at the airports, as they charge an extra $10 from memory. When you use a currency exchange (and they are everywhere overthere) they dont charge a fee and their rate is better. The duty free is also cheaper for booze in Thailand than in the Brisbane airport. If there is anything you want/need to know just ask, cheers Steve.

The exchange rate in Australia sucks, would have to be the most expensive change over in the world, and the govt wonders why tourists don't like to come here - every one charges like a wounded bull plus extra charges.

goggles
29-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Took a rod over in September last year and had a fish off the beach in Kamala,local beach vendors started pulling beach worms for me. Saw the fish heads they were using to bring the worms up with 'whiting' or sand fish as they call them. The quickest bites I have ever felt from a whiting. Will be taking a rod over again this year in Septmeber. On the money exchange people just got back Saturday morning they were getting 30.2 baht to the dollar. Wayne

Marlin_Mike
29-03-2011, 12:26 PM
The exchange rate in Australia sucks, would have to be the most expensive change over in the world, and the govt wonders why tourists don't like to come here - every one charges like a wounded bull plus extra charges.

i use a little exchange place in Queen SWt mall. He is far above other rates. And I checked around just about every where here. $10.00 flat fee, dont take any of the Baht i bought. Very happy with the deal I got. So, 47 days to go till we fly out to Phuket and KL. But who's counting???????????? ;D

mirage
29-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Awesome. No doubt the fuel bill is equally as spectacular. I am just planning a trip to Thailand (first timer too), wife wants the relaxation and so do I, but part of my relaxation is fishing. So, what's the low-down, is there any recreational fishing over there, and what is it like? On the assumption that they do have a recreational fishing industry, what is the charter situation like? Are you allowed to fish off the coast or isnt it worth it? Can you get any tackle over there at all?
Did you get any clues on what you might do next time if you didn't get to it this time.
Cheers,

Go to the Malaysian East Coast for a few days. I forget the name of the town. Plenty of sailfish to be caught while the wife relaxes at the hotel.

Smithy
29-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Kuala Rompin Scotty?

stevel3
29-03-2011, 05:05 PM
I just booked a 8 night holiday in phuket for my honeymoon. We are satying at karon beach looks like a nice place how much did the cruise set you back. Any tips you can give me as this is my first overseas trip. Thanks dan

Hi Dan, not sure what the price was as we booked and paid for everything thru Flight centre, I cant imagine it was too expensive though. We meet a few other Aussies there and one couple said they went to one of the Aussie bars over there and they will usually help you in getting the best deals/price. There are plenty of places on the streets that sell and organise day trips, your hotel will also do this. A lot of Aussie honeymooners go to Thailand, we meet 3 couples while we were there. One of the tour drivers told us that they love Aussies as we are their biggest tourist market. Be prepared to say no lots as the Thai people in Phuket can be pretty pushy and are always trying to sell you something or take you for a ride in their cabs. It doesnt take long to get used to them and other than that they are very nice freindly people. The traffic is crazy over there but it works, we never saw any road rage at all, if people drove like that here someone would get shot. You will soon know what I am talking about, Bangkok is even more full. If you go to Bangkok you have to have a ride in a genuine TukTuk, I couldnt stop laughing at the way those blokes drive. Thats enough rambling for now and I really envy you, it will be a holiiday like no other, we are already counting the time until we go back again, Steve.