PDA

View Full Version : powder coat a prop

jake0
19-03-2011, 06:11 AM
Can a SS prop be powder coated? will/can it burn off if the prop has cavitation due to running the motor a tad high ( in tight turns)

Mad-One
19-03-2011, 06:27 AM
Can't See why it wouldn't be able to be powder coated

Phil

warrior
19-03-2011, 06:29 AM
they would have to etch it first i would imagine then powder coat,polished is definatly better for performance imo

Matt76
19-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Yeah would have to be etched and definately wouldnt burn off, It would only wear much like paint does.

Lachie1
19-03-2011, 08:30 AM
What do you intend to get out of powder coating it?

oldboot
19-03-2011, 08:37 AM
why would you powder coat a stanless prop???.

Serioulsy why?:-?

Polished stanless would have one the lowest possible coefficients of drag.

A stanless prop will have very finely shaped entry and exit edges.....powder coat will ruin that.

Guaranteed....some time you will scrag or at least wear the coating......retouching powder coat properly is impossible..so ya have to stripp it all of and redo.

I would not even powder coat an aluminium prop.....Id go an etch primeer undercoat and then a conventional wet topcoat.......at least that you con retouch.

Besides.....unless the prop in question is an all metal item with a removable bush....tha baking process will buger up the rubber.

cheers

jake0
19-03-2011, 09:21 AM
What do you intend to get out of powder coating it?

why would you powder coat a stanless prop???.

Serioulsy why?:-?

Polished stanless would have one the lowest possible coefficients of drag.

A stanless prop will have very finely shaped entry and exit edges.....powder coat will ruin that.

Guaranteed....some time you will scrag or at least wear the coating......retouching powder coat properly is impossible..so ya have to stripp it all of and redo.

I would not even powder coat an aluminium prop.....Id go an etch primeer undercoat and then a conventional wet topcoat.......at least that you con retouch.

Besides.....unless the prop in question is an all metal item with a removable bush....tha baking process will buger up the rubber.

cheers

Just pure looks, I did see a few props done like this on go fast US boats, they looked very smart, they had Verados on the bum and looked like black chrome props, i quite liked it

maimai
19-03-2011, 09:34 AM
, they had Verados on the bum and looked like black chrome props, i quite liked it

Were they powder coated or ceramic coated?

Lachie1
19-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Just pure looks

I don't think the fish will mind bud, polished stainless looks pretty good when its parked up in the shed at home anyway:P

oldboot
19-03-2011, 10:45 AM
I can see real reasons for either creamic, teflon, graphite coating a prop.

All may improve performance and possibly durability.

Standard powder coat aint going to look like black chrome

If ya worried about what your prop looks like out of the water.....hell you got too much money and the prop spends too little time in the water.

cheers

Roughasguts
19-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Mate get a nice S/S prop black chrome it and have gold leaf lettering on it if you like, But use it for show only!! Never let it see the water cause it will be ugly in minutes.

He He wish I had so much to worry about.

Cheers

jake0
19-03-2011, 11:19 AM
If ya worried about what your prop looks like out of the water.....hell you got too much money and the prop spends too little time in the water.

cheers

No...not worried on what the prop looks like, Im getting it done so i know how it would look,(shit hot) most boats that i know of spends more time out of the water than in. heck....cant spend the money when your dead....or can ya:o.....maybe not;D again "I" like the look of it;D

Others that posted, thanks for feed back, i have miss lead myself, its not powder coat, its 'Black chromium' and has a couple of different looks. unsure of who does this in Australia as yet, but by the end of the day im sure that WWW will help me
I think a "White Chrome" prop would look shit hot on a E-Tec8-)

Roughasguts
19-03-2011, 11:24 AM
I had factory black chrome exhausts with gold lettering on me old GPZ Kawasaki It looked great for 6 weeks then started to go milky and that was basically the end of the good looks.

Cheers.

jake0
19-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks Roughasguts, The heat from the exhaust would of made them go milky? you think it would do the same with a prop?

thylacene
19-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Powder coat wouldn't be all that practical, it is effectively a plastic coating and would adversely impact the performance of your prop, dulling the leading edge and changing the flow over the vanes.

Your best bet would be to have a chat with your local electroplater. I bought a set of black chrome MAC tools here a while back. They are gorgeous.

There was a blurb on the box about the process, it involves multiple plating layers, copper, nickel, black chrome and chrome as I recall. Chrome is actually clear, it is the layer of polished nickel underneath it that gives the silver effect.

Would look way flash!

bigdonk
19-03-2011, 11:27 AM
I just bought a New Yamaha 4 stroke and it has a black powder coated SS prop on it... can't be all bad, if there is a performance difference between the polished and painted..... Maybe half a Kph faster at 6000rpm.. so small you could't tell the difference!!!

BD

Roughasguts
19-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks Roughasguts, The heat from the exhaust would of made them go milky? you think it would do the same with a prop?

I honestly don't know It could have been the heat, or Adelaides crappy water, or just the quality of the black chrome from Kawasaki.

It still looked okay but it would have been nice to restore the finish maybe there is some purpose polish out there now for it.

Cheers.

jake0
19-03-2011, 11:47 AM
love the nett;D;D;D

Here's my process :

1. Ultrasonic soak clean
- UDYPRxx 110 = 55~65 g/l
- Temp = 60 ~ 70'c
- Duration = 5 min

2. Normal soak clean
- Temp = 60 ~ 70'c
- Duration = 5 min

3. Cathodic clean
- A-CLxxN = 10~15
- Sulfuric ACID = 10~12%
- Temp = Room temp
Duration = 30 sec

4. Acid dip
- HCL Acid = 10~12%
- Temp = Room Temp
- Duration = 30 sec

5. Nickel Strike
- Ni Chloride = 200~220 g/l
- HCL Acid = 60~90 g/l
- Voltage = 3~5v
- Temp = Room Temp
- Duration = 45 sec

6. Activation
- Chromic Acid = 3gm/l
- Duration = 20 sec

7. Black Chrome
- Chromic Acid = 400~430 gm/l
- B400 = 25~35 gm/l
- Voltage = 5~8v
- Temp = 18~24'c
- Duration = 7 min

8. Hot water rinsing
- Temp = 70~80'c
- Duration = 5 sec

* there are 2~3 water rinsings after each process

I hope this should help

oldboot
19-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Yerh and the first time ya get a bit close to a sand bank it will look like a piece of rubbish.

I thaught a stanless prop was some sort of status symbol on its own.........at least if you scratch up a plain stanless prop it is an easy job to polish it up.

cheers

jake0
19-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Yerh and the first time ya get a bit close to a sand bank it will look like a piece of rubbish.

I thaught a stanless prop was some sort of status symbol on its own.........at least if you scratch up a plain stanless prop it is an easy job to polish it up.

cheers

Yes you may be right oldboot8-) , but every man and his dog just about has a SS prop;D

Roughasguts
19-03-2011, 11:59 AM
love the nett;D;D;D

Here's my process :

1. Ultrasonic soak clean
- Temp = 60 ~ 70'c
- Duration = 5 min

2. Normal soak clean
- Temp = 60 ~ 70'c
- Duration = 5 min

3. Cathodic clean
- A-CLxxN = 10~15
- Sulfuric ACID = 10~12%
- Temp = Room temp
Duration = 30 sec

4. Acid dip
- HCL Acid = 10~12%
- Temp = Room Temp
- Duration = 30 sec

5. Nickel Strike
- Ni Chloride = 200~220 g/l
- HCL Acid = 60~90 g/l
- Voltage = 3~5v
- Temp = Room Temp
- Duration = 45 sec

6. Activation
- Chromic Acid = 3gm/l
- Duration = 20 sec

7. Black Chrome
- Chromic Acid = 400~430 gm/l
- B400 = 25~35 gm/l
- Voltage = 5~8v
- Temp = 18~24'c
- Duration = 7 min

8. Hot water rinsing
- Temp = 70~80'c
- Duration = 5 sec

* there are 2~3 water rinsings after each process

I hope this should help

Mate thats the same as me wifes stew recipe from last night! even the pan has gone black and the coating never to be removed.

Cheers

jake0
19-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Mate thats the same as me wifes stew recipe from last night! even the pan has gone black and the coating never to be removed.

Cheers
ROFPML, damn you roughasguts...........now have coffee on the keyboard:P

that was a crack up;D;D;D;D;D

oldboot
19-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Yes you may be right oldboot8-) , but every man and his dog just about has a SS prop;D

Well I supose the fancy boys will have to change to titanium...you can do some fancy tricks with that.

once you polish it up....by heating it you can get it to change to a variety of fancy colours..lovely pinks, blues and purples.

Get sick of the colour, just heat it up again and try your luck with the colours.::)

cheers

jake0
19-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Well I supose the fancy boys will have to change to titanium...you can do some fancy tricks with that.

once you polish it up....by heating it you can get it to change to a variety of fancy colours..lovely pinks, blues and purples.

Get sick of the colour, just heat it up again and try your luck with the colours.::)

cheers

Nope...........Chrome Black will do me just fine for a while;D;D;D::)

Plus i can sit in the shed where the boat sits most of the time::) and admire the new look of the prop,cant do it while its in the water;D;D when i get sick of that prop i will go out and buy another SS prop and look at that for a while, do you see where im getting at???::)::)

DOGFIGHT
19-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Mate i think you may be on to something with this color match props, the black chrome would look nice on a merc.

Lachie1
19-03-2011, 02:25 PM
when i get sick of that prop i will go out and buy another SS prop and look at that for a while, do you see where im getting at???::)::)

I think you need to drink more beer::) ::) ;D

Jabba_
19-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Hehe, I have 4;D .. But 1 is a mangaled

jake0
19-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Hehe, I have 4;D .. But 1 is a mangaled

Damn, what happened to the 4 prop?

Greg P
19-03-2011, 05:25 PM
What sort of boat do you own Jake?

Shawn 66
19-03-2011, 05:44 PM
[quote=jake0;1263899]Yes you may be right oldboot8-) , but every man and his dog just about has a SS prop;D[/quote
Jake ,
Me and my two dogs dont have one.::) ::)
Shawn;D ;D

Giffo65
19-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Nope...........Chrome Black will do me just fine for a while;D;D;D::)

Plus i can sit in the shed where the boat sits most of the time::) and admire the new look of the prop,cant do it while its in the water;D;D when i get sick of that prop i will go out and buy another SS prop and look at that for a while, do you see where im getting at???::)::)

No,not really,I'm too bloody busy filleting these fish to admire the prop,although it's a dull alloy one.
;D

Cheers
Giffo