PDA

View Full Version : Spanish mackerel fishing method discovery

B-MACK
18-03-2011, 03:16 PM
I have developed a revolutionary new method for fishing for Spanish mackerel and bottom fish at the same time. Instead of slow trolling live baits for Spanish mackerel, which can result in extended periods of boredom at times while waiting for a strike, one can drift with live baits out. Amazing I know, this method allows the angler to put the rod rigged for live baiting of Spanish mackerel in the rod holder, while still allowing for plastic or bait fishing for reef species.

I have employed this method on the past two trips out. It is a particularly enjoyable way of fishing. You are still in the game to land a nice Spanish while catching enough reefies to keep you occupied. There are times when this method is not so good (i.e. there is no wind and no tide). Like that ever happens!

Both of previous trips have been out off Caloundra, one yesterday where my dekie Jon caught 2 nice mid range Spanish and we got a few grassies and a moses perch. The other trip was nearly two weeks ago, on the old mans boat, and my brother got one Spanish and we ended up with 6 solid grassies on plastics (which we would not have scored if trolling around). I hope someone reads this and it changes their life forever!

Enjoy the pics!

pilchardjones
18-03-2011, 03:21 PM
thanks B Mack,
up here fishing the GBR we nearly always have a mackeral bait out when fishing the bottom - be it at anchor or on the drift, but usually at anchor. it has seen many a nice spaniard add to the esky of trout.
some nice fish you are getting - thanks for sharing.
steve

yakka
18-03-2011, 03:47 PM
we were out off caloundra today and scored reefies, a spanish mack and 3 spotties using that same method we around the 12 where were you

regards

chris

jtpython
18-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Mate thats the go Some nice fish there
Jt

B-MACK
18-03-2011, 05:20 PM
we were out off caloundra today and scored reefies, a spanish mack and 3 spotties using that same method we around the 12 where were you

regards

chris
Nice one yakka! We were alot closer in. Yesterday,was only a quick pre-worker.

Jono_SS
18-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Nice report B-mack.

I took a couple of _ossers out trolling the same sort of area today and I wouldn't really say we were bored, but it was certainly quiet! Apart from the marlin we saw launch up through a school of tuna! I reckon your technique may have been a good option in hindsight, especially out on the bait/grassy grounds where we got bricked a few times on the bait jig.

An advantage of the trolling is you can cover a bit more ground looking for the fish. Since I got the boat with the wheel, I've developed a bit of a love for kicking back in the chair steering with my feet.

Do you use wire and a stinger when you do your magic?

cheers.

Jono.

ps - we got no keepers today.

Flex
18-03-2011, 06:46 PM
If you want a really big spanish, put one of those Lippers under a baloon. I usually use stripey's for spanish, bigger the better, but I have used sweetlip when the stripey's run out.

You'd be amazed how big of a bait a spanish will hit

jarhead
18-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Nice work.

Wal

spenceandkim
18-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Nice fish mate, might try that myself thanks from Speniard

Camhawk88
18-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Top tip Bmack.
On the GBR just about every boat will have a balloon or 2 hanging out the back. While the macks tend to be best caught in the dawn dusk periods with troling they seem to get caught at any time on a floater.
A lot use a pillie which works well but i reckon livies are the go.
Not sure if you get blue fussiliers down your way but they are numero uno as livies.
Grassies and any of the tropical snapper work really well too.

BLOOEY
19-03-2011, 08:37 AM
good stuff! Jono. I was in close yesterday and also saw a small billie and a massive wahoo smashing through tuna schools. I had only 2 hits and none landed. Ben

B-MACK
19-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Jono that musta been sweet seeing that marlin bust through a school of tuna! Pity about the lack of fish. If you had of adopted my method i dare say you may have snared a few to take home.

Granted you are able to cover more ground trolling, but if you know a likely spanish area I find drifting to be just as effective. I think pulling small reefis up entices any spanish down deep to come up and have a look at your live bait. There is also the added bonus on not burning as much fuel

I always use a wire and stinger rig (two stingers if i find big slimies).

Has anyone south of the barwon banks caught a spanish on a tropical snapper or sweetlip? God knows I have tried after a mate from FNQ said it was a standard method up on the reef. Never got one though. Down here little bonito, slimies, pike, big yakkas are definately the best. If spanish hit little reefies down here I would have thought that I would be bringing in lots of fish bitten in half when plastic fishing.

Jono_SS
19-03-2011, 09:44 AM
There is also the added bonus on not burning as much fuel

the tohatsu TLDI, and 4 stroke yammy, use less fuel when trolling at 1.5 knots than your donk uses when you're drifting (even with it off)!

I always use a wire and stinger rig (two stingers if i find big slimies).

thanks - will give it a go and report back. now, off to find some balloons (I think I know where the girls have put some lovely pink ones....). I feel like christening the replacement baitrunner.

JSS4

FNQCairns
19-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Nice fish but in a yellow zone you cannot! Zealots!!!

jerker
19-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Congratulations B-Mack! It must be an amazing feeling drifting around out there and catching all kinds of fish, not me though, I can't handle the idea of the big thirsty merc not firing up again, just imagine getting stuck out there!!! I'd prefer to troll around and not catch anything.

I hope you didn't miss identify any of those pink tarwhine that have been thick out that way lately as grassies.

We've actually been using the same kind of technique in the estuaries for years. The flathead take the bottom bait and the frisky whiting (pound for pound best fighting fish in the see) come up on a floated blood worm. You should check out that methodology next time your out in the creek (if weather permits).

Anyway thanks for the pointers, hope you and your cabin boy mate have fun out there next time.

REgards,
The jerker.

Smithy
19-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Had a mate getting a few spanish at Coolum Reef the other week on reefies.

JSY
19-03-2011, 09:46 PM
B-Mack

Nice post and thanks for the trip! The sound of the TLD's screaming ratchet was the highlight, but I always enjoy looking into an esky full of fish too. It's nice to have the freezer loaded up with fillet again, but at this rate, I'll be out again by next Sunday so better start thinking about the next trip.

In the mean time, I might try a few blood worms under balloons down the creek. Sounds like a good way to pick up an XOS wasby. What do ya reckon Jerker?

Jono, good spotting of the marlin in the tuna. Would've been an awesome sight. I reckon you might have had some better luck if you left those _ossers back on dry land.

Cheers

JSY

B-MACK
20-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Had a mate getting a few spanish at Coolum Reef the other week on reefies.

Thanks Smithy!

was that you out at Caloundra on Thursday too? Looks like you were getting driven around for a change. Looks like a nice spaniard that you picked up!

Smithy
21-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Yep. Been getting some good ones doing that too! 18.5kg is my new best PB with him to go with a 17.45 and 17.1 the day before but got a 17kg yesterday on charter for a lady.

Chopper Taylor
21-03-2011, 11:18 AM
i've got a mate fishing out of wooli at the moment. he's been getting lot's of good reds, getting bricked by bigger fish, he's caught a couple of spanish, lost a big hoo yesterday when another boat ran through their line. Last week the pro who fishes out of wooli got a 45kg and 35kg spanish on slow trolled dead bonito. water goes from 30 degrees to 24 degress overnight, but there isn't much current. wider pearly grounds aren't producing fish.