PDA

View Full Version : Fitzroy Reef/Lagoon from Gladstone

mustang5
15-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Hey Guys,

Couple of questions from a newby up here.

I am looking for some reefs from Gladstone/1770 area to venture out to. Now I dont exactly know the area, and looking at the charts there seems to be a LOT of green zones from lady musgrave up??

Through a few searches, I see that there seems to be a lot of reports from Fitzroy Reef?? This seems to be about 80km from the port of Gladstone.

Now the pink lines there I am guessing is a mark resembling the green zones?? Can anyone please confirm this?

Secondly, How accessible is the lagoon for an overnight trip?

Thirdly, am I pushing it with a 220L fuel tank with a 200hp Yamaha on a Haines Signature 6.3m?

And last but not least, what wind/wave magnitude and direction should I be looking out for in order to plan a smooth trip??

Cheers fellas!

larfin
15-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Fuel wont be a problem I do it easily with a 225 yamaha 4 stroke and 250 lts on a 6.4m boat.If you use the lagoon there are a few bombies to watch out for but go in slowly during daylight and have a look and you will be ok.The lines look like the zones but to see it all more clearly get a fiheries map they are free and everything is marked clearly.
cheers
greg

mustang5
16-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Fisheries map, sure thing :) Cheers for that!!!

Whats the conditions like outside the Port??? Is it anything compared to the slop in Moreton Bay??? The Haines is a great boat for the rough, just would be good to know with regards to Fuel usage in case i get stuck coming back off the plane in some rough weather??

I have been talking with a few guys at work and have quite a few new markers up near north west Island. So Im getting real anxious to get out there now.

larfin
16-03-2011, 09:18 AM
It can get rough out there even in 15 knots inside the reef but you should easily make it to fitzroy and back but it can take 3 hrs one way.
cheers
greg

Flex
16-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Offshore from 1770 is pure ocean swell. No reefs or Islands to block most of it so if blows up waves get mighty high. But not as choppy like in moreton so its a different ride.

If you leave form 1770 its about 80km straight run to Fitzroy,

I leave from Gladstone, its only 40km run to the closest reef, then you can island/reef hop out past Heron Sykes reef etc.
Its what I did for my first trip overnight out that way, Change came through early and I got rained on for hours and got caught in 20k winds coming back and that last 40km felt like 400..lol. But I was in 6m Seaswirl striper and it wasnt unsafe.

but overnighting around Heron/sykes reef was a bit painful, no where to really get out of the weather if it does blow up a bit. best we could do was close to Heron Island jetty, but that was dodgy trying to anchor up. Plus we couldnbt fish at night because of green zones where Fitzroy lagoon is fishable during the night.

North west is a long run, You leave from either Gladstone or Rocky. there's not much in between really, about 80-90km out and no where to anchor overnight I think?
Although it doesnt get hit as hard as boult/Fitzroy area so fishing came be better.

but with your boat and good weather, any of those areas is accessable. usually lots of boats around fitzroy aswell to help if you run into trouble

mustang5
16-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Cheers Flex! Yeah I was down at 1770 the other weekend for a look and it was standing up something fearce from the lookout! And that was 15knts..

Island hopping sounds like a good idea, may have to look into a bigger fuel tank though :( 220L based on the track I have plotted and l/h at cruising (Not taking into account rough weather), came out at about 240L.... Thats to the shoals up near north west Island etc..

First trip looks like Fitzroy reef for sure, and the sounds of having help at hand is quite comforting with my 94 Yammy which can get a bit tempramental at times!!

Cheers fellas!!

marto78
16-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Hi Mustang we usually take 180l for a 90 etec when we do a trip up there. Last trip we didnt have much left over in the tank after 3 days of 10-15kn northerlies. 5-10kn is my pick to go 10-15 is ok but not very comfy and I think you will find that Fitzroy lagoon is only 65km from 1770 I think it is 80 odd from Gladstone but.

trymyluck
16-03-2011, 07:00 PM
A better option may be to get someone who knows the area to take a run with you first up, shouldn't be too hard to find someone on here.

Mark

Ally Jack
16-03-2011, 10:20 PM
You can go to Fitzroy and plenty do but it is more open water to cross if the wind changes for the worst.

North West island is ok anchorage, it's no lagoon but I've stayed overnight there many times and never worried about it. I find the fishing slow around the island but wider out there are some good spots. I work on a 5-7mile rule around the island, my rough estimate of the distance the tinnies will travel by the campers on the island.

In my boat I usually work on 2ltrs/nautical mile, which about right for rough weather. With the Seafarer only having 190ltrs under the floor, we usually have 7 jerries onboard as well to get to the outer reefs and 50/70mtr line

Ally Jack

SUPERDAFF
17-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Fisheries map, sure thing :) Cheers for that!!!

Whats the conditions like outside the Port??? Is it anything compared to the slop in Moreton Bay??? The Haines is a great boat for the rough, just would be good to know with regards to Fuel usage in case i get stuck coming back off the plane in some rough weather??

I have been talking with a few guys at work and have quite a few new markers up near north west Island. So Im getting real anxious to get out there now.

Mustang - do yourself a favour brother - telephone 1800 990 177 which is the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority and speak to Simone on reception. Ask her if she would be kind enough to post you a copy of MPZ17 - Gladstone Detailed Zoning Map. She'll do it with a smile. That will keep you on track in terms of zones. In terms of the trip out - well sometimes you could water ski there and on other days, it is ultra-ultra ordinary.

For a first time trip, you might like to take the northern route out of Gladstone. There's a 'safety net' of moored bulk carriers (waiting to get into port), about halfway to the Cod Shoal which is a spot to drop a line. And from there you could stick your nose in at Mast Head before making any decision about weather and Fitzroy. It also will give you a feel for the run up to North West Island.

(You could also put your mind at ease by carrying an extra fuel load well secured in a couple of jerry cans).

Now of course if you were in a CruiseCraft Explorer or Outsider, you wouldn't be having any second thoughts whatsoever about economy, performance, rough water stability, hull strength or related considerations etc etc.

Enjoy your trip.

mustang5
17-04-2011, 07:45 PM
hehe well, Im happy with the Haines, wouldnt doubt it one bit in the rough with its high sides and deep V.. Its the Yammy that worries me sometimes lol!!

Thanks for the heads up with the map, I looked it up and downloaded it and laminated it at work!! Perfect :)

Making the first trip on saturday morning hoping the weather stays nice :) Was thinking north west island, or if its a little rough might do the drive to rosylyn bay and do the surrounds at keppel. Heres hoping the weather stays down :)

Anything else I should know about the area?? :) Im already liking it, after catching a 90cm Barra in a creek next to work off the shore hehe!!!

yowie3
19-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Weather Forecasts
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/images/misc/bluebar.gif

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/images/icons/fave4.gif
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/images/forecast/3/CENT/grg.png?n=1303204634000 (http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/synoptic.asp?StateID=3&loc=CENT)
Best day at this stage looks like Friday.........Good luck anyway!

mustang5
20-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Yeah mate its looking like a total loss really. Will be hugging the inside islands in rough conditions at this rate.

Cheers