PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tab auto retract thoughts

odes20
14-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Just fitted my new lenco 9x9inch trim tabs to my Yalta Odessa 2000
They are just great and very responsive with great influence even at low planning speeds.

Just a question though, - I have connected the auto retract feature which has the tabs retracting (noisily ) every time you turn engine off. I wondering whether or not i need to have it connected, bearing in mind I can feel where the boat is at at anytime. has anyone disconnected them the auto retract?

Cheers
John

I also switched the wiring so as the Port roker switch controls the port side and the starboard to starboard tab. Just how my brain works

Chimo
14-03-2011, 06:59 PM
I dont have auto retract and doubt that I would use it if i had it. Even if your tabs were fully down which the wont be unless you crawling thru canals with a load of party goers they only take a couple of secs to go from full down to full up. in my case at sea and probably yours too the tabs would be barely down given the speed being traveled before stopping.

Just my thoughts tho.......

Cheers
Chimo

tenzing
14-03-2011, 07:48 PM
I have the auto retract feature on my Bennetts and disconnected it after the first outing. I put a toggle in the wire so that it can be activated if someone in the future found a need for it that I havent.
Cheers
Brendan

Lancair
14-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Hey Brendon, do you mind posting some pics or explaining how to do the switch mod. Id like to stop mine auto retracting all the time.

Cheers

Andrew

odes20
14-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Hey Brendon, do you mind posting some pics or explaining how to do the switch mod. Id like to stop mine auto retracting all the time.

Cheers

Andrew
Mine has a seperate orange wire which the instructions said to connect to another powered source eg. tacho so when you turn off the ignition it automatically begins the retract of the tabs. On my Zuky 175 wiriing there was a wire with a female already hanging off the back of the tacho which I was able to plug straight into.

So are you annoyed with the aut retract as well?

John

johncar
14-03-2011, 09:47 PM
I fitted my own Lectrotabs a few months back, have auto retract feature and I thought long and hard about how or if to connect the feature.

I didn't want it on the Engine Ignition as you have as it would just be annoying, some have it on the neutral start switch, even more annoying.

I ended up connecting it to a spare switch on my switch panel so that it can be either just left on and therefore not initiating the auto retract unless you want it to.

So I just turn the switch to "on" at the start of the day where it auto retracts and turn it off at the end and it again auto retracts. Anything in between I manage manually which suits me better. Or if I want to auto retract at any time I just switch off the toggle, but turning back on again also initiates the sequence again.

So any one way single pole toggle to supply 12 volts to the auto retract terminal on the controller will do the job. There is negligible load as it's just a sensor control wire.

tenzing
15-03-2011, 06:10 AM

Cheers

Andrew
Yes Andrew,
Check the previous post for a detailed answer. Mine has the auto retract sensor wire (purple I think ) attached to the ignition. Just cut it and join one end to each pole of a toggle switch and then all you do is leave it off. If you turn it on at any stage ( even on then off ) it will activate the feature when you turn the ignition off. So I may for example activate the switch on the way to the ramp so they will auto retact when the boat goes back on the trailer.
Brendan