PDA

View Full Version : Outboard support ideas

turtle78
13-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi guys,

Just after any ideas you may have on this one!

I have a yamaha 50 tiller with power trim n tilt on my 4.5m tinnie.

My problrem is this: when i travel at moment on trailer i tilt right up and engage the motor holers to take pressure of cylinder. But how can i stop just leaning the motor to one side as cannot fit a normal motor support bracket because oceanic trailer has the clip for bracket to far under boat (poor design!).

I have googled everything i can think of with no luck, just thought there must be some easy fix to this somehow apart from tying a rope from side to side and around motor to hold in place?

Anyway any ideas or product details would be great

STUIE63
13-03-2011, 10:16 AM
either bend a normal suuport bracket or have a look at what Gary (spaniard King ) uses . http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showpost.php?p=874178&postcount=18
Stuie

krazyfisher
13-03-2011, 10:21 AM
or if you have the right size trailer you could move the post forward and than the clip would be in the right place.

Moffy
13-03-2011, 10:45 AM
my brother used to have a 2 stroke 50 yammie with trim and tilt 5 years or so ago - it had a tension lock on the front of the motor that held it straight - not fitted on yours???? probably stating the obvious (i.e you'd be using it if it was there) - but sometimes the obvious can be overlooked.

Lancair
13-03-2011, 03:18 PM
I tried using a motor support bracket to hold my Etec40 Tiller straight but none were strong enough in the V part. I used a piece of rope from one side of the boat, wrapped around the tiller arm twice and tied off to the other side to stop the tiler falling off to one side. Hint, I found if I tied it off with the motor down, then trimmed it up the rope got tighter and held very securely. I still used a motor support bracket as I didnt like the idea of the transom putting up with so much extra force on it while travelling, the motor, boat and trailer all move as one, no flexing anywhere.

Lancair

turtle78
13-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks so far for all ideas, thinking ill just buy a normal motor support & just extend it as far as need be with some box plus a rope around motor tightened by tilt unless anyone has anythin other to add??