PDA

View Full Version : What weight Delta anchor ?

Tazmaniac
09-03-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm after advice on a Delta plough anchor. Boat is a 6.7 metre plate ally centre cab, all up with full tank, gear and crew would be around 2 tonne on the water. The recommended Delta anchor for a boat this size is the 6kg model. However this does look smallish. The local boat dealer reckons I should go the next size up, which is 10kg. No doubt would do the job nicely, but that's a bit of weight to pull back up by hand, particularly in deeper water. Do any Ausfishers use the 6kg Delta on a boat this size and weight ? Does it do the job in a 15 plus knot breeze ? Doing a 2 week trip to Shark Bay in May and with a few overnighters planned I want to be sure we will stay put once the pick goes down !
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Taz

Alchemy
09-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Taz, I used a 6kg Mansom supreme on my last baot (6.6m plate about the same weight as yours). No probs ever. Also ran 7m of chain. I still use this anchor and chain as my "day" anchor on the new 7.5m Origin which weighs in close on 3t fully loaded. Still no probs, though it does drag in sand when the wind is up. At night I change to a 10kg Rocna, and we do not move! I think the 6kg would be ample for you.

Regards,
Dave.

Micadogs
10-03-2011, 08:33 AM
I use a 6kg Delta on my 5.5 metre fibreglass half cab. This has 10 metres of chain attached to it and is pulled up and down by a windlass. I was at Tangalooma last week and this held my boat without digging in, the weight of the anchor and chain was enough to hold my boat.

Never had an issue with this anchor anywhere, though my boat is approx 500kg lighter than yours. Not a direct comparisson but hope it helps.

bigjimg
10-03-2011, 08:33 PM
I got the 6kg Delta on my 580 with 6m of 8mm short link chain.Never had any issues with a dragging anchor and i pull the lot up with a float and clip.You will require more than a 300mm float as what i have is the limit of what the float will hold up.I have an extra float on a short length of spliced rope,this float has a handle as part of it and makes for an easy grab when along side and is bright yellow.This size was the next size up for my boat so would be size for yours,so if you do what i did go up a size.Also went to 8mm over 6mm in the chain size.Jim