PDA

View Full Version : 8 plait Nylon Rope

ScottB
08-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Hi All,

Anyone know of some good suppliers of reasonably priced 8 plait nylon rope for anchor winches? So far I have been quoted 4.25/m for 12mm which puts my anchor line at the $850 mark which is a bit rich for me!! So if anyone knows of anything better, please pass some contact details along!

Thanks

Scott

tropicrows
08-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Scott,

It's always helpful if you know what area your from.

Try
OFFSHORE TRADING
Unit 2/ 27 Ada St
Coopers Plains
3277 7400

lethal098
08-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Try ATS nets and ropes at clontarf.

Cheers Lee

Muddy Toes
08-03-2011, 08:14 PM
I bought my line for my windlass from west marine in the US and A.99cents/foot of 12mm 12 strand nylon.

MEGA'bite
08-03-2011, 08:31 PM
scott dont waste ur money on the 8 plait stuff, just use the (soft nylon rope)i use it and had no problems, as tropicrows said contact offshore trading they will splice on your chain for you as well.

ScottB
09-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks guys, emails sent to the places mentioned but keep the suggestions coming!

Muddy, I have looked at the US sites and seen it as cheap as .58 a foot. I would buy it from there but I need it a bit sooner rather than later

Mega, I currently use 3 strand and do have problems, to the point that I usually don't anchor because you have to have someone at the anchor hatch clearing the tangles as they come in. It's time for a change and it seems that most people have a better time with 8 plait so I would like to give it a go.

Thanks again, keep the suggestions coming

Scott

AnthonyL
25-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Scott how did you end up going with your purchase?

I had to cut my anchor rope on the weekend and so far the best deal I can find is $350 for 100mtrs of 12mm 8 plait with 6 mtrs chain.

Bull
25-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Scott how did you end up going with your purchase?

I had to cut my anchor rope on the weekend and so far the best deal I can find is $350 for 100mtrs of 12mm 8 plait with 6 mtrs chain.

Hi Anthony,
could you let me know where your getting your rope sounds like a good price to me. 3 strand is a pain in the ass sometimes.

Thanks
Bull

AnthonyL
25-05-2011, 10:55 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380158269328

I just ordered, hopefully it doesnt take to long so I can get back on the water.

Heath
25-05-2011, 11:51 AM
How are you putting the rope in?

Have been using 3 strand for ever & never had issues. You just need to make sure you coil the rope in when retrieving & the next time you pay it out, it should come out, no issues.

Thanks guys, emails sent to the places mentioned but keep the suggestions coming!

Muddy, I have looked at the US sites and seen it as cheap as .58 a foot. I would buy it from there but I need it a bit sooner rather than later

Mega, I currently use 3 strand and do have problems, to the point that I usually don't anchor because you have to have someone at the anchor hatch clearing the tangles as they come in. It's time for a change and it seems that most people have a better time with 8 plait so I would like to give it a go.

Thanks again, keep the suggestions coming

Scott

ScottB
25-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi Anthony,

Might be a little late for you, but I got down to $3.14/m for 200m of rope (no chain, I spliced it myself). The rope I got was the genuine maxwell stuff (the people who made my winch) and it is beautiful stuff. I got it from winch solutions, give them a google. It is easy to handle and packs so well that you can fit a lot more rope into the same area.

The splice wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I did 2 practice ones before I was happy with the result.

I certainly won't be going back to 3 strand any time soon!

Regards

Scott

AnthonyL
25-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks at least I know the price I got looks ok then at $349 for 100mtrs including chain.

Hi Anthony,

Might be a little late for you, but I got down to $3.14/m for 200m of rope (no chain, I spliced it myself). The rope I got was the genuine maxwell stuff (the people who made my winch) and it is beautiful stuff. I got it from winch solutions, give them a google. It is easy to handle and packs so well that you can fit a lot more rope into the same area.

The splice wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I did 2 practice ones before I was happy with the result.

Regards

Scott

Snapper Secrets
25-05-2011, 10:40 PM
This double braid nylon rope is the best value I have found.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10mm-x-100M-Double-Braid-Nylon-Anchor-Rope-Super-Strong-/370468515578?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5641a4eefa

AnthonyL
25-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Do you use that rope on an achor wimch?

Hi Anthony,

Regards

Scott

This double braid nylon rope is the best value I have found.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10mm-x-100M-Double-Braid-Nylon-Anchor-Rope-Super-Strong-/370468515578?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5641a4eefa

Haza09
26-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Try Solas trading in Maroochydore, just got 12mm doulble braid to suit lewmar winch 150mtrs $205 delivered, cant beat that!!!!!

Jabba_
26-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Thats a good price Haza... How do you go splicing it to the chain?

I also have a Lewmar Winch (V700) and my 12mm nylon jambs and twist.. I want the double braid, but before I buy, I want to know I am not going to have the same trouble as the standard nylon, and who splice them to 6mm gypsy link chain?

Chimo
26-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Hi Jabba

Splice; http://www.bluemoment.com/warpchainsplice.html

How did you go with the windscreen?

Cheers
Chimo

Jabba_
26-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks Mate... yeah window is near sorted, check my thread (don't want to hijack this thread).. I updated it yesterday avro...

Haza09
28-05-2011, 04:59 AM
Double braid has platted inner core, splicing looks a bit complicated, check out you tube, I'll get myself a hollow fid and start practicing.

OPTI
28-05-2011, 05:05 PM
complicated is a understatment ,i ended up getting a pro to do my eye splice ,only charged me 20 bucks.double braid eye splice is very tricky to do properly .

O-3
14-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Try Solas trading in Maroochydore, just got 12mm doulble braid to suit lewmar winch 150mtrs $205 delivered, cant beat that!!!!!

Haza...is that available online?

I can't find a link.

DaveNkelly
30-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Hi Anthony,

Regards

Scott

Is everyone still happy with paying the extra for the 8 plait as opposed to the 3 strand?? I have also seen the one on ebay for the cheaper price and Im just wondering whats the difference??

ozscott
30-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Is everyone still happy with paying the extra for the 8 plait as opposed to the 3 strand?? I have also seen the one on ebay for the cheaper price and Im just wondering whats the difference??

3 strand nylon is fine in a windlass and then it isn't. ..ie when it goes hard with age in about a year or two. Go 8 plait for ultimate winch handling and it stays soft. Go winch solutions Cooparoo. 8 Plait also lays much better allowing more rope in the locker.

Cheers

DaveNkelly
31-03-2013, 06:33 AM
3 strand nylon is fine in a windlass and then it isn't. ..ie when it goes hard with age in about a year or two. Go 8 plait for ultimate winch handling and it stays soft. Go winch solutions Cooparoo. 8 Plait also lays much better allowing more rope in the locker.

Cheers

Do you know if there is much difference between the 2 types of 8 plait? Other then the massive price difference?

The Winch solutions stuff is nearly twice the price of this..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380555443994?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1180

cheers

ozscott
31-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Dont know sorry mate. I just didn't want dramas. I had deep sixed the south pacific windlass as it was just too small for my boat and got the new maxwell which is an animal and wanted the rope to suit...I had been using my nylon 3 stand in 11mm but it had gone hars and was being a pig in the locker. I have a mate whose nylon has just gone the same way.

Cheers

ScottB
31-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Yep, very happy with the 8 plait, not sure what the difference is between the cheap and expensive, maybe the cheap goes hard like the normal 3 strand?? I don't know but it is just a thought...