PDA

View Full Version : Nice to have - fitout ideas

thylacene
07-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Still in the process of fitting out, and it has me wondering what you consider "nice to have" features in a fishing boat.

Our list runs to integrated live bait tanks, deckwash, somewhere to stash a net and gaff with ease of access. Rod holders, and plenty of them, and somewhere to stash the rods while travelling without having to unrig them all, still working on that one.

The next challenge will be a bait station, drained via a hose to avoid the squid mess ending up all over the boat, and heavy duty enough to run a couple of rods trolling up to 8" skirts.

Outriggers are also on the list, figure we can avoid some tangles while drift fishing and be able to run a full pattern of lures.

Any suggestions would be welcome, the easier the boat is to use the more pleasant the experience.

Noelm
08-03-2011, 08:43 AM
A very necessary, but often over looked item, is a seperate place to store bait and stuff away from drinks and food, an esky fits the bill, but then it is ANOTHER esky that needs to be put somewhere when traveling and so on, I have a nice sized one that fits in the console, along with the fish esky, and I have abucket that fits inside it, so when I am finished for the day, all the odds and ends that go in the freezer are all in the one place, the unused and still fresh bait goes back in as is, the bucket is used for scraps and stuff to be used as burley next time out. Outriggers are a great thing, but a pain to store when not in use, they are Ok when in the bases and standing upright, but get in the way when getting the boat ready and when you get home.

The-easyrider
08-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Drink holders are a must, nothing more anonying than trying to balance your nice clod drink only to see it go A$$ up while your hands busy else where

honda900
08-03-2011, 03:11 PM
busbars at the dash so your electronics can be wired "neatly" and cleanly.

Regards
HOnda

STUIE63
08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
storage for tackle trays built into the boat so you don't have tackle boxes cluttering up the floor something like these http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=productGroupView&dId=1&id=462&eId=10&sId=48cd1351659fd6b197acceee6d89bb8a
http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=productGroupView&dId=1&id=458&eId=10&sId=48cd1351659fd6b197acceee6d89bb8a
Stuie

odes20
08-03-2011, 04:33 PM
A very necessary, but often over looked item, is a seperate place to store bait and stuff away from drinks and food, an esky fits the bill, but then it is ANOTHER esky that needs to be put somewhere when traveling and so on, I have a nice sized one that fits in the console, along with the fish esky, and I have abucket that fits inside it, so when I am finished for the day, all the odds and ends that go in the freezer are all in the one place, the unused and still fresh bait goes back in as is, the bucket is used for scraps and stuff to be used as burley next time out. Outriggers are a great thing, but a pain to store when not in use, they are Ok when in the bases and standing upright, but get in the way when getting the boat ready and when you get home.

This is what I came up with to keep food and drinks separate from ice/fish below. I have put 2 little aluminium angle rails up in the top of the esky for this basket to sit and slide up and down.
I found a perfect fitting plastic basket for the width of my esky. It was a shopping basket at Sams Warehouse and the same basket is used at Crazy Clarks, but you just have to measure up and scour all the available baskets/plastic containers at hardware stores.
Food stays really cool in it because of the coolness in the esky.

Hope that helps some one.
John

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab223/odes20/DSCF3011.jpg

odes20
08-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Still in the process of fitting out, and it has me wondering what you consider "nice to have" features in a fishing boat.

Our list runs to integrated live bait tanks, deckwash, somewhere to stash a net and gaff with ease of access. Rod holders, and plenty of them, and somewhere to stash the rods while travelling without having to unrig them all, still working on that one.

The next challenge will be a bait station, drained via a hose to avoid the squid mess ending up all over the boat, and heavy duty enough to run a couple of rods trolling up to 8" skirts.

Outriggers are also on the list, figure we can avoid some tangles while drift fishing and be able to run a full pattern of lures.

Any suggestions would be welcome, the easier the boat is to use the more pleasant the experience.

Good thread Idea!

One problem with a bait station right at the back of the boat is that those fishing further foward have to climb or clamber past those in tha back to get to or cut up some bait. Alright if the bloke at the back keeps providing it for you but they soon get weary of it
Just some thoughts
John

thylacene
08-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Quote - One problem with a bait station right at the back of the boat is that those fishing further foward have to climb or clamber past those in tha back to get to or cut up some bait. Alright if the bloke at the back keeps providing it for you but they soon get weary of it

Agreed, but as we have a half cab, trying to mount it forward is a real issue, at least in front of the motor it is in the least "fishable" position. I know the answer, but the finances don't run to a 30 footer :D at least until I get my grubby little mitts on my super.

Forgot to mention, a leccy anchor winch (Micks Winch) is also on the list to allow me to anchor up and fish for bait close in when fishing alone. should get it bolted in tomorrow night if the gods smile upon me.

johndeere
08-03-2011, 07:19 PM
I like my rocket launcher, 1.9 metres from floor to where you hang on. Some are too high,swing like a monkey, too low and hit your head. Bait board is 1.1metres high, great support in rocking boat. Has rail for towel and a place to lean rods. Stress free winch. Not a fan of drawers etc. under the seats as gear gets left in them and rusts. Prefer tackle box, esky and bait esky which fits in the freezer at the end of the day. Auto boat/trailer hitch is handy.

White Pointer
08-03-2011, 07:57 PM
G'day,

My vote would be:

A fairly big bait board with gutter drain and pipe that can be mounted over the stern or to one side of the boat so that it doesn't get in the way when game fishing (nearly there)

Johnson deck wash pump also plumbed to the bait tank (got it)

Reelax outriggers with tagline kit (got it)

Helm and navigators standing seats/bolsters mounted on pedestals incorporating an esky on one side and a rigging station on the other side (getting there)

Seats on removable poles in the stern corner fishing positions so I can sit with my feet up on the stern and save my back (getting there)

Rod mounts to get them out of the way (got it - 22 around the boat for on the water and 12 under the roof when towing)

A porta-potty toilet and a bit of privacy for the girls (got it because I wasn't allowed not to when I spent all this money)

An ORIGIN Boats aluminium trailer (because it's the only thing to put under a plate boat - but I'm biased and I'm working on it)

Regards,

White Pointer

odes20
08-03-2011, 10:10 PM
G'day,

My vote would be:

A fairly big bait board with gutter drain and pipe that can be mounted over the stern or to one side of the boat so that it doesn't get in the way when game fishing (nearly there)

Johnson deck wash pump also plumbed to the bait tank (got it)

Reelax outriggers with tagline kit (got it)

Helm and navigators standing seats/bolsters mounted on pedestals incorporating an esky on one side and a rigging station on the other side (getting there)

Seats on removable poles in the stern corner fishing positions so I can sit with my feet up on the stern and save my back (getting there)

Rod mounts to get them out of the way (got it - 22 around the boat for on the water and 12 under the roof when towing)

A porta-potty toilet and a bit of privacy for the girls (got it because I wasn't allowed not to when I spent all this money)

An ORIGIN Boats aluminium trailer (because it's the only thing to put under a plate boat - but I'm biased and I'm working on it)

Regards,

White Pointer

Im real interested in your Johnson Deck wash pump being plumbed to your live bait tank. Are you using it serve water to the bait tank as you require ?
Can you explain how its set up?

Cheers
JOhn

deckie
08-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Currently making up my own kitchen at the rear centre so i'll throw in what i've found useful. I'm out at night a fair bit though.

- A decent handrail at the front of it. Mounted to the frame not the board of course. Its one of those places you just use them whether to just steady yourself or put one hand on to pick something up.
- Electrics incorporated. Run wires either thru a cable gland or thru the uprights. A 50cm red led strip across the back of the board lights the fishing zone up just enuff to see lines etc but wont ruin your vision. Another small led shining onto the board is damn handy too..the type with a small toggle switch incorporated into it to make it handy on/off. A single ciggie socket is handy underneath too...if ever u need to take the cowling off the motor when dark you'll appreciate the light u can plug into the baitboard...or anything really. its a part of the boat where no matter what u do you're in your own shadow from the decklights.
- A small tap with an on/off switch and thin spout that swings out of the way. Can be run off the deckwash but just as easily from the baitpump...just reduce hose diameters to up the pressure and its enuff to wash ya hands, the board and good when cleaning fish having a constant flow. the little pumps only draw 2A anyway and in use already for the liveys. An inline tap to reduce flow means u can divert a slow stream off the bait tank and run it constantly...you can do a lot of burleying at the table and just feed it into the drains down thru the hose over the back..rather than chucking it everywhere and it setting like cement to the boat and motor. Both whitworths and Bias sell handy little taps suitable for maybe $20. Alternatively is to just hang the deckwash hose and fitting at the table.
- Wind protection...everything wants to blow off. Best ive seen was a thin perforated stainless surround which doubled as a rack to hang lures. Even a small increase in height at the back seems to help.
- Flat at the front so you can get a knife flat to the board when cleaning fish. Flip open lid rather than drawer and the well underneath needs a drain too.
- Definitely a spot for a towel that cant/wont blow off.
- Not a fan of rod holders attached..rather have rod storage at the baitboard. But definitely a single vertical holder nice and handy that u can plonk the rod you're rigging up into..gives me the shits when the rods out at an angle and trying to rerig a trace/hook etc. If u dont need to save weight maybe go to 38mm upright supports and continue them thru as two of the rod holders for added strength. 38mm is nice and snug fitting for 90% of rod butts. The usual 2 inch rod holders are really sloppy with threadline outfits and many others. Some 44mm acrylic tubing from a plastics man usually slots perfectly into off the rack stainless holders and reduces it to 38mm ID. Most have sleeves but still too sloppy i reckon.
- Stainless 'adjustable rail supports" rather than nylon screw type fittings..to adjust the board angle.
- Knife holder not on the side unless a full scabard.

suzygs1000
09-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Had plenty of rocket launchers, hate em, never had one where the rods were easily accessible that wasn't in the way, and the rods never seemed to secure in rough seas.

I have all mine under the bimini, all fully geared, never had one fall down, above head height, they are held on with bungee and buttons.

very easy and cheap to set up.

Davehttp://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff235/suzygs1000/RodrackLarge.jpg